• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car losing electrical power suddenly and comes back again.

RandikaPM

Question

Hi Everyone,

My car (Axio 2007) has this symptom where, the car's electrical power suddenly disconnects and comes back again. This happens in a frequency like once in two days. Totally random though. The power comes backs just in a second. So if this happens at night, all the lights would go off and comes back just in a second. Any idea why this happens ?

Thank you.

7 answers to this question

40 minutes ago, RandikaPM said:

Hi Everyone,

My car (Axio 2007) has this symptom where, the car's electrical power suddenly disconnects and comes back again. This happens in a frequency like once in two days. Totally random though. The power comes backs just in a second. So if this happens at night, all the lights would go off and comes back just in a second. Any idea why this happens ?

Thank you.

Both battery terminals are tight? 

Ground wires to the body in engine compartment tight?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandikaPM said:

I will check them and get back to you. Last time I checked they were tight. Also my security alarm (which puts a beep signal for battery issues- such as low battery), is always ringing.

Take your time and check all the bolts on the battery terminals.

Also check the ground wires that connect to the body of the car. I can't tell where exactly its on an Axio since I don't have one. But in most cases that wire is some where near the battery or fuse box. Sometimes those small things cause lot of panic.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 7:51 PM, RandikaPM said:

RandikaPM,

This problem may be on the Alternator not charging occasionally, inside Alternator some times can be loose wire connection to the Alternator out terminal or the two rotor brushes are not seating to Alternator slip ring.

Or Indicator light may have some problem.

Get a Auto Electrification to check the battery voltage.

With out engine running. If the battery is in good condition then the reading will have to be 12+ Volts.

Then check again the battery voltage when the engine running.

Then Alternator is charging then the reading will be13+or 14+.

If the readings are below then the Alternator is not generating.

This problem may be on the Alternator not charging occasionally.

Some times can be loose wire connection to the Alternator. Indicator light.

May have some problem with the Alternator out socket..

When did you service the Alternator last.

If every thing fails contact me I will check Free of charge. As you are a member of AL.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kmeeg said:

Both battery terminals are tight? 

Ground wires to the body in engine compartment tight?

I will check them and get back to you. Last time I checked they were tight. Also my security alarm (which puts a beep signal for battery issues- such as low battery), is always ringing.

10 hours ago, kmeeg said:

Take your time and check all the bolts on the battery terminals.

Also check the ground wires that connect to the body of the car. I can't tell where exactly its on an Axio since I don't have one. But in most cases that wire is some where near the battery or fuse box. Sometimes those small things cause lot of panic.

Turns out that negative terminal of the battery  loose. Hope see if this fixes my issue.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Sylvi said:

RandikaPM,

This problem may be on the Alternator not charging occasionally, inside Alternator some times can be loose wire connection to the Alternator out terminal or the two rotor brushes are not seating to Alternator slip ring.

Or Indicator light may have some problem.

Get a Auto Electrification to check the battery voltage.

With out engine running. If the battery is in good condition then the reading will have to be 12+ Volts.

Then check again the battery voltage when the engine running.

Then Alternator is charging then the reading will be13+or 14+.

If the readings are below then the Alternator is not generating.

This problem may be on the Alternator not charging occasionally.

Some times can be loose wire connection to the Alternator. Indicator light.

May have some problem with the Alternator out socket..

When did you service the Alternator last.

If every thing fails contact me I will check Free of charge. As you are a member of AL.

Sylvester Wijesinghe

Sylvi.

Hi sylvi 

Thank you for your reply. To answer your questions,

* I have never serviced alternator

* Last time I checked, alternator was working fine (while engine running, voltmeter reads about 13.5-14 v)

* For battery condition, I'd say its average. Not good and not very bad either

* I found the negative terminal connection to the battery lose and I did tighten it up. The issue didn't come untill now after the fix.

I'll keep observing and update this post.