• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Allion 260 2012 very poor fuel economy

Nuvinda Ratnayake

Question

I recently bought an Allion 260 2012 model with 96000km on the meter(most probably correct according to the records).However it has a very poor fuel economy which is about 8-9kmpl in city.I have heard and many claims that it should at least  give 10kmpl in traffic.I’m very soft on accelarator and always got >10kmpl in city with my previous cars(vitz and 141).I have done a complete service from TL 1 month back including an engine tune up with all 4 spark plug change.No improvement archieved.What can be the reason?

if anybody drive 260 daily in Colombo what is your economy?

please help 

15 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Nuvinda Ratnayake said:

I have run about 500km now.what is the average figure you get in the information display?I can’t figure out any reason.no warning lights shown.I expeirecnce kind of poor forward pull in low speeds<40 but my friends say it is due to nature of cvt but when it comes to higher speeds it has a good pulling power.

in addition TL said my ac compressor is replaced with a 121 compressor but they say it is a common thing people do here.I have tried without ac but no improvement in fuel I have no clue what to do

Hope yours is the 1500cc version. Avg fuel economy usually around 11 for Colombo running with normal congestion. Outstation would do 14-17 and bit more on highway. I have 14 as current average with some city running and outstation combined.

121 compressor might reduce fuel economy slightly at short distance running but if no other problems I think it's ok. And the low speed drag kinda thing is also normal. Try to do the tank to tank fuel economy calculation and see. You get the green eco light under 2000 rpm right?

Edited by hrm

Just see whether it does 14-17kmpl outstation on open roads as suggested by hrm. Fuel consumption in city is dependent more on how bad the traffic is and can easily drop to 8 kmpl if you sit in traffic for a long time. In Colombo traffic it sometimes takes 1 hour to cover 5km. Just running the engine uses up fuel you know and the accessories and stop & go nature is not kind on fuel economy. 

I heavy traffic I have seen it dropped to 7-8 kmpl and I'm a heavy footer. Normal city running it's around 10-11. How much have you run after tune up? I have seen fuel economy drops by almost 2kmpl after tune up. Usually comes back after running 100/200 kms.

3 hours ago, hrm said:

I heavy traffic I have seen it dropped to 7-8 kmpl and I'm a heavy footer. Normal city running it's around 10-11. How much have you run after tune up? I have seen fuel economy drops by almost 2kmpl after tune up. Usually comes back after running 100/200 kms.

I have run about 500km now.what is the average figure you get in the information display?I can’t figure out any reason.no warning lights shown.I expeirecnce kind of poor forward pull in low speeds<40 but my friends say it is due to nature of cvt but when it comes to higher speeds it has a good pulling power.

in addition TL said my ac compressor is replaced with a 121 compressor but they say it is a common thing people do here.I have tried without ac but no improvement in fuel I have no clue what to do

Edited by Nuvinda Ratnayake

9 hours ago, hrm said:

Hope yours is the 1500cc version. Avg fuel economy usually around 11 for Colombo running with normal congestion. Outstation would do 14-17 and bit more on highway. I have 14 as current average with some city running and outstation combined.

121 compressor might reduce fuel economy slightly at short distance running but if no other problems I think it's ok. And the low speed drag kinda thing is also normal. Try to do the tank to tank fuel economy calculation and see. You get the green eco light under 2000 rpm right?

Yes it’s 1500cc.can 121 compressor reduce fuel economy when you put off the ac off as well?what I want to know is wheather changing ac compressor spending >100k(50k for recondition) would be a wise decision to improve fuel economy

Edited by Nuvinda Ratnayake

Don't change the compressor for now. If the compressor is still spinning then turning AC off would not make much of a difference.  Depends on how they fixed the compressor.  Note that original 260 compressor also permanently coupled to the engine.    just that it's much more efficient and has less drag. If highway fuel economy is also low then there's an obvious problem. 

30 minutes ago, Nuvinda Ratnayake said:

do you recommend any place for compressor change in that case?

Couldn't recommend a specific place as most of them suggest replacing 121 compressors as soon as a 260 come in. I usually do my Ac repairs at Tharaka Auto AC at Battaramulla. There could be better places. Do a search in the forum.

22 hours ago, Nuvinda Ratnayake said:

is average economy given by car always an overestimate than your calculated  value?what I usually get has always been that way

That's correct. 

4 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

Change the fuel station and fill the tank,

the measurement varies in pumps and stations.

TT.

Do you mean that although we pump exactly same amount of petrol from diffrerent stations actual amount of fuel we get is different?

can that be difference be many litres in that case?

I got combined economy of 12.5kmpl and 14.5kmpl after 2 runs in highway(>200km) plus Colombo( >150).However according to display it was 15kmpl and 18.5kmpl.I think it’s alright.Anyway people often say they get 25kmpl in highway I don’t know it’s actually possible?I think it’s just according to your cars display not by distance vs fuel calculation