• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Premio 260 gear transmission issue

chanuka bandara

Question

i have a 2007 premio done only 120,00km. i have a very strange feeling that gear transmission is not happening properly, specially when rpm is above 2000. when it comes to overtake a vehicle i don't get the power even if i push the paddle  so hard. in fact i can hear the noise of engine rev so hard but the gear shift down does not happen properly and i have always to use "s" mode to get the punch.

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, chanuka bandara said:

i have a 2007 premio done only 120,00km. i have a very strange feeling that gear transmission is not happening properly, specially when rpm is above 2000. when it comes to overtake a vehicle i don't get the power even if i push the paddle  so hard. in fact i can hear the noise of engine rev so hard but the gear shift down does not happen properly and i have always to use "s" mode to get the punch.

Did you buy the Premio recently? Is this a new thing with the car or has it been so previously?

Anyway, the Premio comes with a CVT transmission and CVTs do not behave in the same manner as an auto gear box. That is, there's no physical shifting between gears like 1>2>3>4>5. The best gear ratio is calculated by the computers depending on the user input to the throttle and according to that the car will automatically adjust its response. A typical CVT would rev to the red line without dropping revs and again going to the red line (which is what happens in a manual or auto when the gears are shifting) when you accelerate hard. The engine noise is because of the high revolutions associated with you pushing the accelerator to the floor/ hard. CVTs do drone when accelerating owing to their belt design as well. All the above symptoms are business as usual for CVTs and the noise the engine makes is not linear to the response in performance you experience. And there could be a delay in response as well due to this. Additionally, the S mode is not a SPORT mode in the Premio but the Slope mode, which you can use when climbing/ descending a small hill. When in S mode the RPM is held at a higher level simulating driving on a low gear. That is why you might be experiencing better punch on S mode.

Having said that the Premio by no means is an athletic car and only have a mere 109hp from its 1.5 liter engine so don't expect it to have very good pickup when you put the pedal to the metal. In order, for you to be sure if this something wrong with your car;

1. You better drive a similar car and see if that also has the same issue (this doesn't apply if you have owned the car for a long time and this is something new with it).

2. However, a CVT box needs its oil changed at 40,000km intervals and I hope you have changed it (since its reading 120,000km-hoping its the genuine mileage; its due for a CVT oil change. If not get the CVT oil changed right away with the correct oil specified by the manufacturer and perform any procedures relevant for changing CVT oil in a Axio/Allion/Premio).

3. Get your car inspected at TL or other skilled garage to see if there's anything wrong with the car (any error codes, status of spark plugs, ignition coils etc.)

Hope you get your issue resolved soon! 

Have you bought this recently? As Dee Jay said there's shouldn't be any noticeable gear changes in a CVT. And driving pedal to the metal doesn't give expected results , rather wears out your gear box faster if it hasn't already done so. You have to press the gas a bit and wait for it to build the momentum before pressing gas again. Depends on the car speed, rpm and engine load.

Drive a similar car and see if it's any different. If no then change your driving pattern else you might have to see a mechanic. Former doesn't apply if you used the car for sometime and familiar with driving CVTs. (Toyota CVTs to be specific)

Edited by hrm

8 hours ago, Dee Jay said:

Did you buy the Premio recently? Is this a new thing with the car or has it been so previously?

Anyway, the Premio comes with a CVT transmission and CVTs do not behave in the same manner as an auto gear box. That is, there's no physical shifting between gears like 1>2>3>4>5. The best gear ratio is calculated by the computers depending on the user input to the throttle and according to that the car will automatically adjust its response. A typical CVT would rev to the red line without dropping revs and again going to the red line (which is what happens in a manual or auto when the gears are shifting) when you accelerate hard. The engine noise is because of the high revolutions associated with you pushing the accelerator to the floor/ hard. CVTs do drone when accelerating owing to their belt design as well. All the above symptoms are business as usual for CVTs and the noise the engine makes is not linear to the response in performance you experience. And there could be a delay in response as well due to this. Additionally, the S mode is not a SPORT mode in the Premio but the Slope mode, which you can use when climbing/ descending a small hill. When in S mode the RPM is held at a higher level simulating driving on a low gear. That is why you might be experiencing better punch on S mode.

Having said that the Premio by no means is an athletic car and only have a mere 109hp from its 1.5 liter engine so don't expect it to have very good pickup when you put the pedal to the metal. In order, for you to be sure if this something wrong with your car;

1. You better drive a similar car and see if that also has the same issue (this doesn't apply if you have owned the car for a long time and this is something new with it).

2. However, a CVT box needs its oil changed at 40,000km intervals and I hope you have changed it (since its reading 120,000km-hoping its the genuine mileage; its due for a CVT oil change. If not get the CVT oil changed right away with the correct oil specified by the manufacturer and perform any procedures relevant for changing CVT oil in a Axio/Allion/Premio).

3. Get your car inspected at TL or other skilled garage to see if there's anything wrong with the car (any error codes, status of spark plugs, ignition coils etc.)

i had it checked by a person in Kandy. i own this since 2019 and also i have driven a Allion 260 which is better in shifting gears than mine. maybe a issue in air sensor or gear box?

20 hours ago, Dee Jay said:

specially when climbing a hill gear shift wont happen as expected to keep the momentum. instead i push down the paddle down to get the required power. everyday when i use the car for first time it works perfectly but more you drive more you get the issue. maybe time for a tune-up 

Get a new battery.It solves lot of issues with those allions/premios.If the original spark plugs has never been changed get new ones.Even though they claim to run for years you will definitely feel the difference of new spark plugs.