• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Civic hatchback 1L turbo - Brake Pads wear & tear|OEM vs non-OEM brake pad versions

lexi

Hi all, highly appreciate any insight on the following;

Does the general wear and tear of the brake pads (front & rear) of civic hatch 1.0L turbo tend to be higher than other models/cars? Any personal experience of having to replace the pads before 30k KMs? Also will there be a terribly negative impact of using non-OEM brake pads instead of the original pads which currently sells at an average of Rs. 60K for both front & rear?

thanks

Lexi

Edited by lexi

• lexi changed the title to Honda Civic hatchback 1L turbo - Brake Pads wear & tear|OEM vs non-OEM brake pad versions
On 7/17/2021 at 6:24 PM, lexi said:

terribly negative impact of using non-OEM brake pads

Depends on the non-OEM you use...

Original brake pads are pads that have thresholds that will make the car operate and run to meet the minimum specifications the manufacturer has advertised for the car. So OEM parts are NOT the BEST...nor are they the bad. This means...there are other 3rd party brands that are far better than the OEM part. For brakes, look in to Dixel. They have a good range of performance as well as standard street use brake pads for most Japanese cars. Apart from that you also get the likes of Project Mu but those can get rather expensive.

On 7/17/2021 at 2:54 PM, lexi said:

Does the general wear and tear of the brake pads (front & rear) of civic hatch 1.0L turbo tend to be higher than other models/cars?

Yes - they wear out a lot more than the other cars. You can notice the constant accumulation of black dust on the wheels. That's the break pads wearing out.

OEM Break pads are quite expensive however Brembo is available and are priced much less. When the time comes to replace mine I'd probably get Brembo's myself. 

Brembos are not cheap. They are the opposite of cheap...Brembos, ProjectMu, etc...are probably on the higher end of the price.

In Sri Lanka the dynamics change...for starters...the "original" brake pads with a box with a Honda or Toyota logo on it gets priced high through the agent just because ...Toyota is the worst..funnily in Japan Toyota dealers give drive joy and you do not get those nice red boxes (I have ranted many times about how screwed up the market is because of cheap crap flooding the market). Then comparatively, those independants who bring in Brembos can pretty much give them at the same price as what the agents charge for the OEMs (however, last I checked the Brembos were still more expensive than the OEMs). hen in SL you also get Brembos that are really cheap (I will leave it to you to decide why or how that is...maybe Brembo has an econo line for developing markets...maybe they are just...well).

I think the more reasonably priced brakes in SL would be Dixel and Endless nnon performance lines....apart from that I am sure you get the more traditional and yet reputed Taiwanese and other SEA brands.

• Like 1

Now brembo has an econoline manufactured for OEM specification,  This product is even  available in most developed markets.  It is offered by the local agent for brembo. So we do not have to worry about the authenticity the product.

However, from this product we cant expect sports car level performance but it will definitely perform similar to the genuine break pads.