• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Lancer EX 2011 - To buy or Not to?

Sachinkc

Hi All, 

Have always been a  fan of the Lancer EX ever since it came out. Didnt have the financial stability to buy one back in the day. AT this point in time, I have a Bezza 2018 and planning to trade this in for a Lancer EX 2011 _ I know its an older car but I have had the BEzza for 3.5 years now it will be 4 in October, I tend to get a bit bored after 3 years and start looking for different options. 

How is the fuel? Maintenance? Is it advisable given the current situation in the country? 

Appreciate your honest unfiltered opinions. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hyaenidae said:

I can be honest and unfiltered but not unbiased lol...

having driven both vehicles I'd trade a brand new Bezza for a 2011 EX in a heartbeat, especially if it has the 1600CC motor ( afaik 2011 and later EXs have it )

Hey bro. Thanks for the response. How did you find the fuel consumption in the 1.6 litre ex? I am hearing various stories. The Foreman at Unit#d Mot#rs said 14kmph? I find that very hard to believe. When I started the engine it had a humming noice. Is this normal?. 

1 minute ago, Sachinkc said:

Hey bro. Thanks for the response. How did you find the fuel consumption in the 1.6 litre ex? I am hearing various stories. The Foreman at Unit#d Mot#rs said 14kmph? I find that very hard to believe. When I started the engine it had a humming noice. Is this normal?. 

Do you have a recording of said hum? Is it continuous? mine does a sort of humming noise intermittently, when the AC compressor operates - UM said it might be my 7-year old belts slipping so I bought new ones, hoping to get those replaced on next service

3 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

Do you have a recording of said hum? Is it continuous? mine does a sort of humming noise intermittently, when the AC compressor operates - UM said it might be my 7-year old belts slipping so I bought new ones, hoping to get those replaced on next service

Yes it is a continuos hum. Any major maintenance worries I need to be concerned about as I buy it? Also how is the fuel situ with this beauty?

10 minutes ago, Sachinkc said:

Yes it is a continuos hum. Any major maintenance worries I need to be concerned about as I buy it? Also how is the fuel situ with this beauty?

Using the tank-to-tank method it was always around 14 since I bought it brand new.

Note that the car is mainly being driven on Kurunegala - Kandy route. The most traffic she sees is when we're driving through the town - I've noticed 8kmpl on the trip computer when traffic is really bad. 

But it always averages around 14.

Nowadays I don't exceed 2000RPM and coast whenever possible - trip computer continuously shows 15+ figures as a result.

No chance of doing T2T FE checks anymore because nowadays the tank rarely go below 3/4 point, I refill it at the first petrol line I deem short enough for me

Check out this thread for all your maintenance concerns

Edited by Hyaenidae

On 6/1/2022 at 3:15 PM, Hyaenidae said:

I had a 1.5L EX it had a bit more different engine note than a typical Jap. But not a hum

Averaged 8-9 in city 15-16 outstation. This was pre highway era

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kush said:

I had a 1.5L EX it had a bit more different engine note than a typical Jap. But not a hum

Averaged 8-9 in city 15-16 outstation. This was pre highway era

Yeah mine sounds as it always did since it was brand new except for this intermittent belt-slipping noise 

Gotta get them replaced one of these days

To OP, dont trust the guys at UM Hydepark as they are not that professional. For example, during my previous oil change, they gave me an inspection sheet noting that there aren't any faults with the car. However, I knew the car had leaking brake cylinders and a busted CV joint which made a significant amount of noise when turned. 

If you want correct professional opinion, take the car to the Orugodawatte service centre. There are good people working there. 

With regard to the fuel consumption, mine is a 2011 1.5L with a CY2A engine which does an average of 10kmpl in city traffic (sometimes goes down to 8 in heavy traffic) and around 14-15 in outstations depending on how you drive. I usually drive at 70-80 when possible out side of the city areas. Car gives a good economy between 70 to 120 as per my experience.

I think the noise you are referring is the timing chain noise maybe, the engine tone of the Lancer EX is somewhat unusual when compared with other sedans in the same category. You could say its a hybrid of a car engine and an SUV engine tone. And it has the most noisiest cooling fans ever put in a car!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, trinity said:

If you want correct professional opinion, take the car to the Orugodawatte service centre. There are good people working there. 

This is true - while I had the Perodua used to regularly take it to Orugodawatta and the folk there were professional and quite good. 

Hi All i test drove the lancer today. Was very comfortable. I was expecting a bit more power though which I didn't get.

Thr mileage meter was showing 22.kmph which I found hard to believe. Perhaps it's abit off and needs to be fixed. 

Will get it fully checked at Unit#d Mot#rs Ratmalana. They charge 7500 for a thorough inspection. 

4 hours ago, SACHIN KC said:

Hi All i test drove the lancer today. Was very comfortable. I was expecting a bit more power though which I didn't get.

Ah, this brings back memories of a time when I used to fill the tank up with 95 octane and looking forward for a clear bit of road to floor the accelerator for a bit of excitement...

...now it's waiting in line for a ration of 92 octane, keeping an eye on the tachometer to make sure I don't rev the engine above 2000RPM and looking forward for a bit of downhill to take the foot off the gas pedal and coast 😥

Thr mileage meter was showing 22.kmph which I found hard to believe. Perhaps it's abit off and needs to be fixed. 

Do you mean the FE meter?

Will get it fully checked at Unit#d Mot#rs Ratmalana. They charge 7500 for a thorough inspection. 

Don't forget to ask them what that hum is