• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Automatic transmission swap

Timsasi

Hello guys 

am new here but I want help on my car. I have 1991 42TD with an automatic transmission which shifts only 4 gears. I want to find out is it possible to swap a Y61 automatic transmission to my Y60 42TD engine..? Would it fit cos I need for gears. 

F48827C2-7A9B-486F-9772-5E6B5D46D020.jpeg

On 6/26/2022 at 8:48 PM, Timsasi said:

Hello guys 

am new here but I want help on my car. I have 1991 42TD with an automatic transmission which shifts only 4 gears. I want to find out is it possible to swap a Y61 automatic transmission to my Y60 42TD engine..? Would it fit cos I need for gears. 

F48827C2-7A9B-486F-9772-5E6B5D46D020.jpeg

Sorry...have no idea about he swap. But soe general info that you might want to look in to...

For starters you need to check if the bell housing matches up. Then you need to check if the ECU is compatible with the ne transmission. 

You might also want to check if the gear ratios are anywhere close to each other...if not...the car will run like crap as it won't be able to optimally utilize the engine's power in to turning the "axles and wheels". Being a 4x4, you also need to check the compatibility with the Transfer case.

My guess is that it shod not be  problem as the Y61 was a more or less an exention/upgrade on the Y60 platform and not a completely new platform altogether.