• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Migrated to Europe and thinking of returning to SL. Need your thoughts!

firstgear

30 minutes ago, Gummybr said:

I have been in the automobile industry for almost 2 decades

A good friend of mine in the automobile industry (worked for several dealerships) left in 2022. He misses home badly but did mention that there was very limited opportunity specially in the industry locally.  Clearly it's just survival mode if you stay in LK. Every industry is affected - we talk about the opportunities in tech but government uni's are struggling with lecturers migrating  -in fact one of the leading government universities have scrapped a masters program due to the lack of lecturers to deliver it ) so it is indeed bleak. 

Having said that there are other factors such as family/parents to consider. Specially for folk who are either only children or all the siblings have already left.  

14 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Great tagline for Onlyfans

See what two misplaced vowels can do ? 

Edited by matroska
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, AVANTE said:

As if there is no end in sight to your turmoil and hard work.

For most (myself included) the concern is will there be a sight of the end for our kids? or even our grand kids? As parents we are willing to undergo whatever hardship and make sacrifices to create opportunities and better the lives of our children (age old human trait...we want a better life for our young). I don't think anyone can say our kids and theirs are guaranteed a better tomorrow (especially since from education to the moral standards of our society are more compromised each day). For an entire generation (and a half) we have been a developing nation. There seems no change to that...being in the dev aid sector it is quite heartbreaking when countries that were in a worst sh**h*** than us are surpassing our country socially and economically.

57 minutes ago, Gummybr said:

I am also considering moving out

:( 

57 minutes ago, Gummybr said:

I havent seen any good happening to he industry in Sri Lanka

Instead, we go running behind pipe dreams of building our own car thanks to stories yarned by politicians (sorry but I do not see the point in reinventing the wheel at such high costs just to hold on to a tiger's tail). We already have/had the skill for component manufacturing to a few other niche' segments as well but our buffoons just threw it all away.

1 hour ago, matroska said:

Having said that there are other factors such as family/parents to consider. Specially for folk who are either only children or all the siblings have already left.  

Luckily for me my brother has no plans of migrating although his wife has so much opportunities overseas rather than work in the government sector for a very low salary considering her specialty. I had to run it by him and confirm that he doesnt want to move out as my parents wellbeing was on the line. I wasn't expecting my bro and my parents to say ok to my plan. 

A lot of my colleagues in the aftersales have left for greener pastures, they get their visa in two weeks and are doing very well in New Zealand and Australia. Its just in my line of work we dont have that opportunity and we have to work to get the visa and wait for approvals. On the topic of the brain drain, we as Sri Lanka are talking big of bringing down EV's manufacturing cars locally etc, but the truth is all the experienced guys with proper training and certificates in new EV systems have left the country. Only the older guys have stayed. I dont know when our idiots will understand that EV's cannot be maintained by roadside garages and need special training and tools.