• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car purchase recommendations? (December 2022)

Shane De Hoedt

I'm looking to purchase a vehicle in the 7 million range and would like some suggestions. 

I'm considering either spacious sedans/cross-overs with good fuel economy and reliability.

So far I've been looking at

1. Honda Vezel (2014-2015)
  2. Honda Grace (2014 - 2017)
  3. Toyota Axio Hybrid (2015-2017)
  4. Toyota Aqua (2014 - 2017)
  5. Honda Civic (2016-2018)

Any advice/recommendations will be very much appreciated.

1. Honda Vezel : Make sure the transmission has been well serviced.  There isn't a particular thing that causes the DCT issue...so there really is no way to spot anything to keep away from the car...all you can hope for is just a properly maintained car. If you find a gasoline (i.e. non Hybrid variant) then you will get a standard CVT which will not have the DC issue. 

2. Honda Grace : This is NOT a spacious sedan (infact none in your list are speciaous sedans ! The closest you have to even being close to spacious is ahe Axio which is in the same class as the grace). Technically has the same issues as the Vezel. Same as the Vezel if you find a gasoline variant (which would make it a CHnda City from an export market) then you won't have the DCT issue. The Grace was a JDM (for Japanese market) model. The export market varant is the City. A lot of the Graces were manufacturered in Thailand before production was moved to Japan (for the Grace...even then some variants came from Thailand). QUality is excatly the same no matter where it was manufacturerd. So don't let stupid car sellers try to charge you more because it was manufactured in Japan. The Grace (and even the Vezel) has a bit of a firm suspension because it is a bit moresportier and engaging ot drive than the Axio.

3. Toyota Axio : Practical A to B car. Driving it is as exciting as sitting on a sofa sucking on a frozen cucumber. Generally tourble free as long as it is maintained/serviced properly. Only hitch is most of these cars were bought by "thel higannas" who did he least amount of servicing possible but want to try to sell it off as agent maintained, doctor driven lady owner car. Although it has the Corolla badge on it, it is based on the Vitz platform (in fact the Japanese auto community found the Axio an embarassment and an insult to the Corolla badge). It is comfortable...but it does not have the refined feeling of the Grace or the Vezel. However, the suspension is a lot softer than the Grace. SOme people like that.

4. Toyota Aqua: Pretty much the same as the Axio in terms of technical things to look out for. General maintenance. This is not a sedan but a compact hatchback. It has a nice nimble frame/chassis..but the steering is slow and vauge (which is its most dissapointing factor in terms of driver engagement). But this can be easily rectified with strut bars and stuff if you want a better engagement. Definitely the smallest of the cars you have listed.

5. Honda Civic...there are a few owners whoc an give you a better insight. Nver driven a 1L turbo which is common in SL...but the 1.5L is a decent, nice car to drive. 

Now...in general you have to make sure that irrespectiveof model the Hybrid system has been properly serviced. You need to accept the fact that batteries would war out and will need replacement/refurbishment. Apart from that..look for general maintenance records..get it professionally inspected, etc...

Also keep in mind that Hondas of this era are quite a pain in the unsightly places....the systems are so tightlyintegrated that even if your key fob battery dies out the dashboard will light up like a thorana and the car will do funnythings.

Edited by iRage

On 12/9/2022 at 1:29 PM, Shane De Hoedt said:

I'm looking to purchase a vehicle in the 7 million range and would like some suggestions. 

I'm considering either spacious sedans/cross-overs with good fuel economy and reliability.

So far I've been looking at

1. Honda Vezel (2014-2015)
  2. Honda Grace (2014 - 2017)
  3. Toyota Axio Hybrid (2015-2017)
  4. Toyota Aqua (2014 - 2017)
  5. Honda Civic (2016-2018)

Any advice/recommendations will be very much appreciated.

Vezel of that Vintage has probably already got the DCT issues - and sorted out and may come back again get it properly checked out preferably at Honda agents or a good third party. Vezel feels a bit sluggish  compared to it's Grace/Fit brethren.  DCT is the biggest issue as both Vezel and Grace hybrid systems are fairly solid compared to previous models. Grace is not quite spacious but it's an Ok sedan in that price bracket. Again DCT is the gremlin that you need to be worried about. 

Axio and Aqua - of the two I prefer the Aqua as it's a bit more engaging than the axio which simply feels disconnected and more like a simulation.  Get a hybrid battery check done for both. 

Civic - I've written an entire blog and there's a thread dedicated to it on the forum so you will get to know a LOT including maintenance costs. of course they're not as fuel efficient as the hybrids but the Civic once you get the hang of the CVT box it's a rather economical car - of course you need to pump 95 octane so you anyway spend 140 more rupees per kilometer. the 1.0 L + Turbo is not a race car but it's not a sluggard either. The 1.5 should be a blast.Overall Grace(City), Vezel (HRV) and Axio(as irage mentioned it's a budget corolla) , Aqua in a segment below the Civic - so naturally the Civic is more 'car' than the others.