• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Colombo Traffic Arangements Good Or Bad

jilbuwa

Hello Citizens,

Is the Colombo Traffic Aragements Good Or Bad ?

If it is meant to reduce the traffic its good. But they should have done it properly in informing the citizens and daily users by handing out leaflets showing which routes will head where or even on state TV.

But you know what ppl using the bus service suffer the most since with the new arrangements they are at sea as to where the new bus stands are.

So in the end the traffic police should have taken correct measures to do the needful of informing the general public about the new system.

If they think it is good then why not proceed with the rest of the entry & exit roads to Colombo. But as I said they have to do it properly in informing the public.

Thereby hopefully the traffic problem will be smoothened out.

But hey what about the traffic caused by closing down the section of Galle road near Temple Trees?? That really creates a big traffic, it took me one hour to go to crescat and come back to Kolpetty, say that would be around 1.5kms max from my work place.

If it is meant to reduce the traffic its good. But they should have done it properly in informing the citizens and daily users by handing out leaflets showing which routes will head where or even on state TV.

But you know what ppl using the bus service suffer the most since with the new arrangements they are at sea as to where the new bus stands are.

So in the end the traffic police should have taken correct measures to do the needful of informing the general public about the new system.

If they think it is good then why not proceed with the rest of the entry & exit roads to Colombo. But as I said they have to do it properly in informing the public.

Thereby hopefully the traffic problem will be smoothened out.

But hey what about the traffic caused by closing down the section of Galle road near Temple Trees?? That really creates a big traffic, it took me one hour to go to crescat and come back to Kolpetty, say that would be around 1.5kms max from my work place.

Yep i agree with you, our administration does things just like that, even the no parking zones were put up overnight.Anyway we must undestand that we live in a country of unpredictables so we all should be used to it.

That closure of road along temple trees is indeed a killer...what a waste of time idling on the roads and burning fuel... :action-smiley-031:

Well.. have not been to those areas where the traffic arrangements have changed but from what my dad says it really speeds up the flow in those areas. Though I am irritated with the sudden implementation without prior notice to the public.. it would cause a hassle to those who suddenly drive around to those areas...

But the worst traffic is at the Temple trees area.. Agree with gummybr as once it took me a hour and a half just to get to kollupitiya from galle face too.. But i guess the reduced security (with the high likelihood of claymores around) makes it a necessity for such precautions...

Zz

Arrangements are good for sure as traffic is moving a lot better. Only problem is the way our b*tches cut across 4 lanes now from both sides :action-smiley-031: And what this city needs is proper set of traffic lights and road furniture. Anyway hardly any j-walkers now lol

Arrangements are good for sure as traffic is moving a lot better. Only problem is the way our b*tches cut across 4 lanes now from both sides :) And what this city needs is proper set of traffic lights and road furniture. Anyway hardly any j-walkers now lol

Moving better in terms of speed & space. Not cramped up. But then again when the oldies start hogging the road.. ya well u get the picture. Cutting across 4 lanes is damn annoying cos now u gotta look both ways even when ur going straight. lol

forget kandy... you get caught jaywalking in busy cities like kadawatha and kiribathgoda too... i think the fine's 500 bucks...

haven't been through much of the new arrangement but i wasn't too happy with royal college bit... i assume it's sane now...

forget kandy... you get caught jaywalking in busy cities like kadawatha and kiribathgoda too... i think the fine's 500 bucks...

haven't been through much of the new arrangement but i wasn't too happy with royal college bit... i assume it's sane now...

Damn the amount of cops there were yesterday. I guess may be at every turning. Its just absurd. I hate to come to colombo anymore. its like a warzone. You dont feel very free any more. Hardly any place to park a car any more. what a pathetic situation. I am sure most of the colombo business might get affected due to this. I heard that some shops have less 50 % business this year.

hey guys.. some entertainment from the Sri Lanka Police:

on the day the new traffic cock-up came to effect, i checked the web for any news on WTF is happening..

came accross the Cop website . some great er .... information is there.. check it out.

Read the "Action to be taken in the Eve of an Accident" page and be "enlightened".

ciao

Arrangements are good for sure as traffic is moving a lot better. Only problem is the way our b*tches cut across 4 lanes now from both sides :D And what this city needs is proper set of traffic lights and road furniture. Anyway hardly any j-walkers now lol

yeh ... feel the same. i think its abt road discipline :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Start of a new year and here we go again with new traffic arrangements on Galle Road & Duplication. Cops does it again, no prior announcement or informing the public and they make main roads one way. Do they help the dumb struck people trying to get to their offices?? No instead in the morning some coming down Dharmapala mawatha to Kolpetty had to go all the way to Bamba and turn back and come back to Kolpetty because the cops didn't let them use the connecting roads from Duplication to Galle road.

Then I hear from my colleagues who come a bit late that morning arrangements for the connecting roads have been changed.

Well atleast the traffic looks better now when I look out of the window from my office.

Yippee.... Now we have one way 4 lane HIGHWAYS :alc:

I knew it's coming when they were taking out the centre islands and fences. In the morning it was not that bad. Must see on Thursday since most people won’t be on roads till.

But I think if properly implemented and with the support from the drivers and with self discipline, this is the way to go for our country.

Edited by ash

I think its lots of fun :alc: Lots of people 'rat racing' so to say! and lots of confused people going in circles! But this should be a decent move in the long run. But these Guys really need to make all the pot holes in the road- kinnda tough to avoid them with 4 lane traffic and the busses on RA deMel dont really help.

ok did 2 runs moring n just now - all in all the new plan from a motorist perspective seems fine :)

HOWEVER the issues afore mentioned can be a tad worrying in terms of the costant cutting lanes at fairly brisk speeds ;) ,intrusions from side lanes, ppl stopping in the middle of the 3rd lane to chat with Cop's abt where to turn etc! :alc: & the raw confusion of it all...

apart from the obvious inconvenience to commuter who use the Bus,this new system has definite possibilies..if worked properly & in conjuncton with the Marine Drive as well,upon its full completion,we may have a hope of solving this crawling , stop start form of "sriving"or idling as it were and get a shot at some free flow motoring! :D

guys,

does anybody know if the parking problem in colombo is being resolved by somebody or the other as well, if now traffic is one way is road side parking still allowed ?

and is road side parking allowed in the galle road as well ? I wonder who is going to be the first to build a multi storey car park in colombo

The Don

The one way scheme is awesome though there is the tendency for certain absent minded drivers to start criss crossing which obviously would cause probs.. especially the SL culture o not signalling a turn too is contributing lolz.. Noted though that traffic moves smoother but requires the driver to have good knowledge of where he wanna go so dat he could b in the appropriate lane... i love it cuz it gives a NFS style dimension where ya could basically cut through traffic at a good speed lol...

@ Don - Do ya think it s feasible dude? i mean building a darn multi complex parking lot? in ma view there aint no concentrated points where business are established thus invalidating the purpose of such a car parking lot.. though it could be a probability in time to come..

this no parking scheme dude is driving me nuts.. cant freakin stop the car for a few mins just to get a kotthu too.. lmao.. but now they have relaxed it a bit though.. cars stationary for a long time get towed away nevertheless.. i guess the govt would prob come out with new street signs.. there cant be cops directing the traffic day n night yeah?

Zz