• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda fit gp5 2013 break calliper repair

Prabasha

Recently I had to replace my car brake piston and repair kit. Piston had lot of corrosions.

Now milage 120000km,newer repaired brake calliper system before

My question to avoid or to minimize break calliper issues do I have to repair my break calliper system time to time. If yes how about the duration. Thanks

Edited by Prabasha

On 1/8/2023 at 2:41 PM, Prabasha said:

Recently I had to replace my car brake piston and repair kit. Piston had lot of corrosions.

Now milage 120000km,newer repaired brake calliper system before

My question to avoid or to minimize break calliper issues do I have to repair my break calliper system time to time. If yes how about the duration. Thanks

Yes...you do have to service the brake components (cylinders, washers, springs, nipples, etc..) on a periodic basis. How often would depend on the use of the car, quality of components used to service it. So it you must make sure that you inspect them on a regular basis and rebuild/service when needed.

Also, make sure that you replace your brake fluid every 20,000-30,000km or 2-3 years (irrespective of mileage) whichever comes first. Brake fluid is quite corrosive and becomes even more so when contaminated (contamination will always occur with use). So change the fluid as needed. 

In regard to what @Twin Turbo mentioned:

1. Driving on flooded roads:

Well..this might not always be possible considering the state of roads during the rainy season. If and when you do drive through flooded roads, make sure you wash the under carriage, brake components and suspension components of the car. You want don't want mud getting stuck in little nicks and crannies. This is will help a lot in making sure your under carriage does not rust and suspension components live a healthy life span.

IMPORTANT : Please remember that after driving through flooded roads, your brakes might not function properly as there would be a water film on the pads and disks and other contact surfaces. So the brakes will feel weak the first few times you apply the brakes. So don't drive like crazy soon after you get out of the water.

2. do not diirectly aim high pressure water when washing the car

Make sure that there is a good foot or two or three between the surface of whatever you are washing and the pressure washer nozzle. The idea is you do not want 100% of the pressure directly and constantly hitting the car components.  Keep a decent distance so that the pressure is just enough to wash away the grime. Sometimes you will have to put direct excessive pressure to a spot to get some dirt off....which is fine for a second or two.

After you wash the brakes (and the rest of the car) it is always a good idea to run it a little bit so that the components get heated up and any water trapped in places will evaporate (or flow) away.

• Like 1