• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Dashcam (front+rear) 2023

70mai would be the first thing that comes to mind, but as of late, dash cam prices have sky rocketed (branded ones approx 40K for front and rear recording) and people I know have bought used go pros instead.

11 hours ago, tiv said:

70mai would be the first thing that comes to mind, but as of late, dash cam prices have sky rocketed (branded ones approx 40K for front and rear recording) and people I know have bought used go pros instead.

70mai (front + rear + GPS model) doesn’t have an inbuilt park monitoring system. Have to purchase an external wiring kit for that facility but that kit also not sensitive enough to identify regular vibrations. And other issue is that system get activate after 5mins. So you don’t get any recording for the first 5 mins after parking.

11 hours ago, SamN said:

70mai (front + rear + GPS model) doesn’t have an inbuilt park monitoring system. Have to purchase an external wiring kit for that facility but that kit also not sensitive enough to identify regular vibrations. And other issue is that system get activate after 5mins. So you don’t get any recording for the first 5 mins after parking.

In a country like ours, I don't believe there is much gusto attached to a recorded video of a fella nicking your mirrors. When you show these videos to cops they are like, "apita owa balanna wela nah mahaththayo, entryak daana"

In reality the only REAL use of a dash cam is to scare away potential thieves, or offenders on the road, even cops.

Also I presume there will be a fair drain to the car battery as the camera itself will not run on its own battery after a while. Lastly these are all low end cameras which we pay a fair buck thanks to the USD, I wouldn't go to tapping into the wiring harness for something of this grade, rather spend that money for full insurance cover, atleast you'll get 70% as a claim.

On 5/6/2023 at 11:39 AM, tiv said:

astly these are all low end cameras which we pay a fair buck thanks to the USD, I wouldn't go to tapping into the wiring harness for something of this grade

I am starting to see solar powered dashcams over here. No idea how good they are but might be worth a look if one doesn't want to be splicing into the wire harness <also...I can't see why they need to splice into the wire harness anyway...can't you just run and connect the wires to the fuse box? I am sure the stereo places have the nice little connectors that tap into the fuse box.> 

On 5/7/2023 at 10:19 AM, iRage said:

I am starting to see solar powered dashcams over here. No idea how good they are but might be worth a look if one doesn't want to be splicing into the wire harness <also...I can't see why they need to splice into the wire harness anyway...can't you just run and connect the wires to the fuse box? I am sure the stereo places have the nice little connectors that tap into the fuse box.> 

where can one start looking for the solar powered dashcams?

On 5/5/2023 at 8:30 AM, tiv said:

many people recommended 70mai to me, how are they compared to others ? like Hikvision and Transcend?