• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Market Leader And A Follower....

ash

Ok guys.... need your valuable input.

This is a marketing assignment. The topic is “Market leader and a follower”. So if you take the Automobile industry, who do you think the best example? The followers can’t be just followers of the design etc... He should have captured a considerable market share from the leader.

Please list some examples.

Thanks....

Ok guys.... need your valuable input.

This is a marketing assignment. The topic is “Market leader and a follower”. So if you take the Automobile industry, who do you think the best example? The followers can’t be just followers of the design etc... He should have captured a considerable market share from the leader.

Please list some examples.

Thanks....

audi(Quattro) brought 4wd to rally cars mitsui and subaru followed.

in any aspect whether it be luxury cars or variable valve timing etc etc., some other manufacturer innovate(lead) and Toyota/Lexus follows and make it optimum/perfect and always win the mass market...

oh there's more... randomly when i remember i'd come and post.

golf gti lead a hot hatch market, focus ST, Civic Type R, Vauhall Astra VXR all followed

bmw m series(except M1) lead the mid-compact luxury sports saloon market... audi & mercedes are following

normal BMWs give a superb balance between everyday driving/comfort and performance, infinity r now trying to bring that kinda drivers cars with a luxury appleal.

the most important thing here to note is that the sucessful market followers are those who follow a leader to learn a few basics but do thier own thinking and bring out thier own unique marketting mix.. Lexus being the best example... Today Lexus is a big hit in US now.

Edited by isurujosh

in any aspect whether it be luxury cars or variable valve timing etc etc., some other manufacturer innovate(lead) and Toyota/Lexus follows and make it optimum/perfect and always win the mass market...

bmw m series(except M1) lead the mid-compact luxury sports saloon market... audi & mercedes are following

normal BMWs give a superb balance between everyday driving/comfort and performance, infinity r now trying to bring that kinda drivers cars with a luxury appleal.

the most important thing here to note is that the sucessful market followers are those who follow a leader to learn a few basics but do thier own thinking and bring out thier own unique marketting mix.. Lexus being the best example... Today Lexus is a big hit in US now.

Thanks Isuru...

Allowed to take a only 2 makers for the topic.

Ok lets take the 2nd biggest car maker in the industry-Toyota as the Leader or the Follower. What's the best example to compare.

Any more comments guys???

Thanks Isuru...

Ok lets take the 2nd biggest car maker in the industry-Toyota as the Leader or the Follower. What's the best example to compare.

i have not done any kind of a research on the topic i just spoke out of what i had come across randomly when i read auto articles... however if i were you i'd take Mercedes as leader(pioneer to be more accurate with what i understand) and lexus as the follower. (but i also wonder whether lexus now out sells mercs?)

or take toyota as the leader and hyundai as follower

Edited by isurujosh

What about when a "Market Leader" Buys up a "Follower" and then technicaly the follower promotes itself to become a leader.....am i making any sense?? :D

u mean like maruti800 in itz own right now sells more than suzuki in india :D am i making any sense?

From an academic point...you might be able to make points on strategies, strategic options and tacticals if you take a local FMCG product or even more visible services like the mobile phone operators (Dialog-Mobitel/ Suntel-LankaBell WLL)

With the car thing...you might be able to bullshit a lil more :D.

From an academic point...you might be able to make points on strategies, strategic options and tacticals if you take a local FMCG product or even more visible services like the mobile phone operators (Dialog-Mobitel/ Suntel-LankaBell WLL)

With the car thing...you might be able to bullshit a lil more ;).

This is actually for my wifee. She needed some help since she was loaded with assignments.

Milindu spot on... could have chosen a FMCG product. And there are too many guys representing those companies in her class. So you really have to be spot on :( . With cars... :blink: yeah you could bullsh*t a bit.

She’s doing the frame work and theory right now. Picked few points from the posts. Working on those.

Thanks guys!!!

Thanks Isuru...

dont know if its pertinent but take Toyota as being the 1st come out with the Hybrid car and GM laughing at that time. Now Gm is bringing out their own car (to save the company) after the success of the Prius.

Arrgh assingments. Hate those.

Your wife could probably talk about Toyota, the worlds largest automaker being the leader

and Nissan who are now catching up. She could also talk about how Nissan was a follower

all along but was turned around by Carlos Ghosn to bring it up to what it is now.

Another example as Dominic said is of Toyota and GM. However this works bothways in that GM used

to be a market leader to Toyota and things have now come a long way in that Toyota has become

a leader and GM follows by example :D

Actualy if you can refer it, the December issue of Fortune magazine had an article on

Carlos Ghosn. It might help, it might not.

You could also try to google it, and see what might come up.

Hope this helps.

Market Leader would be Toyota and Nissan

Follower would be Mazda.

I am only taking Japanese examples. Basicaly mazda had a very bad brand reputation in SL, But now Mazda has caputured the SL market ( This X 10 times worldwide as Mazda is doing Very Well ).

Few Years back i would have taken honda as a follower. In 2000 Honda became very popular and ate into the Market Leaders Share of Sales.

If you take overall Statistics, It would be maruti. But thats because people have no other option. ( Price ) LOL :D

Edited by Velocity

dont know if its pertinent but take Toyota as being the 1st come out with the Hybrid car and GM laughing at that time. Now Gm is bringing out their own car (to save the company) after the success of the Prius.

hmmm well it say the student has become the master... :)

cuz GM's hybrid is not duel powered but rather a proper Hydrogetn runnin fuel cell design & all ELECTRONIC FLY BY WIRE system - no pedals!

B)

i put a topic up on it - but apprently us sri lankans arent into GREEN motoring cuz it got porperly IGNORED! :D

hmmm well it say the student has become the master... B)

cuz GM's hybrid is not duel powered but rather a proper Hydrogetn runnin fuel cell design & all ELECTRONIC FLY BY WIRE system - no pedals!

:)

i put a topic up on it - but apprently us sri lankans arent into GREEN motoring cuz it got porperly IGNORED! :D

Seriously bro, doesn't the word "Assignment" remind you of something?? :)