• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Restriction In Used Car Imports And The Car Industry In Sri Lanka

inamhash

Government has decided to reduce the age limt to import used cars into Sri Lanka. From the 1st of Feb only 2 year old cars can come into the country Basically there will be only new cars in the market (as no one is willing to dispose a car so soon), and thereby an entire Recon car industry is going to collapse. May be country may be flooded with Cheap Indian and Chinese cars. I can suggest it's gonna be like a disposable razor, Use and throw. And Japs will never be cheap in the future as too many buyers gonna chase too little cars (in Japanes Auctions). What do you guys have to say?

17765villageceylonlx4.th.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Government has decided to reduce the age limt to import used cars into Sri Lanka. From the 1st of Feb only 2 year old cars can come into the country Basically there will be only new cars in the market (as no one is willing to dispose a car so soon), and thereby an entire Recon car industry is going to collapse. May be country may be flooded with Cheap Indian and Chinese cars. I can suggest it's gonna be like a disposable razor, Use and throw. And Japs will never be cheap in the future as too many buyers gonna chase too little cars (in Japanes Auctions). What do you guys have to say?

I guess end of the day, the Govt. is looking at the macro picture of saving on the exchange outflow by reducing the demand for cars through higher prices. The car owning/buying percentage is obviously seen as a minority end of the day.

As consumers...we find it frustrating buying a new car which is actually worth 1/3rd of what you pay or less and is increasingly becoming a less attractive investment.

Be interesting to hear the view point of anyone dealing in or importing cars.

If you are thinking of a new purchase.....DO IT NOW.

the country is going to the dogs...get out as soon as you can...only the rich and powerfull will survive..... :jumping-smiley-013:

Edited by dillongt

The recon industry collapsing is in question. Its been through increases amounting to 150% or so and there are more sales and more cars in the country. It will be less attractive and more competitive....but the industry will pull through as people adjust to the prices. The good days however may be over.

Very Good Point. So it gona be extremely difficult to buy a 3 year old JAP car.

:blink:

:blink: Well I suppose all of u guys have seen the new with the new ministers and all – there ministries for everything- u never know there may be 1 for even sending a fart…….

So this means heaps of Defenders etc… BMW. Etc….. whils we common people have to rely on this cheap S*iT cars for India & China…… No offence to the guys selling the but the truth is it’s just not every ones cup of tea.

Let’s not talk abt safety of those cars- as it’s a joke….. Soo in short… this is going to be another mini India with a lot more morons on the road just because they can buy a car for a cheap price…..

dillongt dead right U are- I regret coming down really bad now…… I did respect the Kinthanaya… but this is madness …… :(

this sucks bigtime... how can the government expect to stop cash flow from the country to outside when we're are not into production that much...

we have no choice but to import from other countries what we don't have here... I don't think curtailing imports is the only solution... It might be the excuse these losers use to cover up their mess :)

Like lotsa folks here said... all government top shots and even not so top shots get tax free permits when we're paying over 300% tax :D

If they want to stop recon cars coming in they should at least drop the prices on brand new cars... Now the common man doesn't have an option :)

Top shots can still afford all the big names when small buggers like some of us have only chinese or indian toy cars as an option :)

The country is defintely going to the dogs... Only rich and powerfull people will have all the luxuries and even basics...

damn these politicians... the worst of all life forms B)

We are doing things too fast now. The smoking ban came before London did,the polythyn ban came into place without proper alternative, i hear poor 3 wheeler people will be banned on their 2 stroke engines by 2008. And now this. In a way some of it are good, like we stop polution to making the society more decent. But we do all without a proper backup plan. Sometimes even the recon car import restriction is good becuase everyone brings down junk down here too, we cannot let our country be a garbage bin to the richies. But however before we do this we might as well thought of lot of alternatives. Like assembly plants which will curb import tax and jobs to the nation, technology adoption etc. Any way best advice is, hold on to your cars now, dont sell if you have selling in your mind, wait till market get stable and then go for it

from living in colombo I know the traffic is too much, however if our country wants grow and prosper we need transportation. Take a lesson from the romans who devloped the first highways. It is not fair to only allow the rich to own cars. You have to think is this gov retarded? Newer cars are more expensive than older cars and there for more money would leave our economy. Instead of limiting the age of the car the gov. should increase vat on older cars. The gov would still make money! I am not saying to increase the vat on older cars so that the price is equal to a new car. But increase it so that the average person can buy a used car and lower the vat on new cars so that people will favor new cars. I think they should let the people decide what they want.

You guys talk about only the rich being able to afford BMWs, Defenders etc, and the common man has to make do with cars from China, India etc. You boys should really stop bitchin. Because the common man in Sri Lanka is the man who cannot afford a car, the man who travels by bus everyday and probably hasn't even heard of the internet. The people who own cars are a small minority in Sri Lanka. You gents belong to that minority.

Hats off to the government in trying to stop money heamoraging to japan. Because ultimately it will make for a better living for the majority of Sri Lankans. be happy with what you have, we are a third world country and we should be so very very thankful that we are in the small percentage that can actually afford cars. So stop bitching about the rich getting richer, because you are the rich.

I wish the government would take drastic action and ban all vehicles above 1.6L. Becuase then we can really make inroads into stopping the biggest drain on our economy - Petrol.

The people who own cars are a small minority in Sri Lanka. You gents belong to that minority.

I do enjoy how some of our Sri Lankans disassociate themselves with the car owners of Sri Lanka when presenting an air of false piety, while not seeming to realise that they are the ones who arrived on a car forum :P If as you seem to suggest, u don't belong to that minority, then what the hell are you doing on this site? You probably shouldn't have heard of the Internet! (btw, don't relegate the "common" man in Sri Lanka to the state of Neanderthal, the country has come quite a way in terms of technology since the 1920's)

You guys talk about only the rich being able to afford BMWs, Defenders etc, and the common man has to make do with cars from China, India etc. You boys should really stop bitchin. Because the common man in Sri Lanka is the man who cannot afford a car, the man who travels by bus everyday and probably hasn't even heard of the internet. The people who own cars are a small minority in Sri Lanka. You gents belong to that minority.

Hats off to the government in trying to stop money heamoraging to japan. Because ultimately it will make for a better living for the majority of Sri Lankans. be happy with what you have, we are a third world country and we should be so very very thankful that we are in the small percentage that can actually afford cars. So stop bitching about the rich getting richer, because you are the rich.

I wish the government would take drastic action and ban all vehicles above 1.6L. Becuase then we can really make inroads into stopping the biggest drain on our economy - Petrol.

############

This is a Motoring Site. This site is for everyone. We are crying over here because we are not rich and dont want to drive a 800cc indian made piece of shit anymore. at our age as a true motorcar enthusiasts would love to drive something special and a bit of a powerfull car . Now its any young mans dream. ##########

################

Mod edit: behave boys. present ur points of view without swearing and personal attacks.

Edited by Pericles

####################

This is a Motoring Site. This site is for everyone. We are crying over here because we are not rich and dont want to drive a 800cc indian made piece of shit anymore. at our age as a true motorcar enthusiasts would love to drive something special and a bit of a powerfull car . Now its any young mans dream. ###############

#################

I agree that this site is for everyone. I'm just expressing my opinion. You have made your clear. I love fast cars, hell I even owned a SiR for a little while, ####################. I'm a real bona fide rice boy. What I'm saying that we are privileged to own good cars. how many people in SL can afford a small 800cc car let alone a sports car. I bet not even 90% of the current population. If you wan't to have a sports car then be prepared to pay for it.

I feel (my opinion) that if you wan't to run a sports car in a third world country, then by god, the government should make you pay for it. And don't think I'm some rich spoilt kid, because I'm not. I had to earn every cent for my car

Edited by Pericles

Good Morning guys,

It's not driving an Cheap Indian car or a Foreign car. It's all about how governments one sided biz policy.

If we take into consideration about the Indian Cars they are not even compatible with Euro1 Standards in emmission. Where India allows only to produce Euro 3 standards for their country.

Japs they make the best car for them with the highest standards for themselves whereby the used cars are coming from Japan, those highest standard cars, and they make export models to suit those countries economical status (What we get as new cars are those cars made for the 3rd world countries, like Sri Lanka Africa and other under developed countries). And for Japs, they got to inspect their car periodically and pass the fitness test.

Further, if I give a simple example the Mitsubishi Montero sold to our market is priced only JPY1,700,000.00 Whereas a new Pajero(Name used in Japan for Montero) in Tokyo before Taxes JPY 3,400,000. Look at the huge difference.

NOW WHOM DO YOU THINK SEND JUNKS TO US?

Maruti is paid only 300000 as duty, where as for the same Japanese Alto have to pay 850000 duty. Thereby import of Maruti's are well over 700 a month, so how much of foreign exchange go out for JUNKS? Why this double standards? It's Politico's pockets. There are many used car dealers so they cant go to each and every one to ask for their pockets but they hang on to one person it's easy for them to make their bucks. Am I right guys?

U might have a point there, but I was under the impression that biggest drain on the ecnomy was the war....

And anyway, while I do agree that there is plenty of wastage of petrol, or fuel as a whole, the fuel is also what drives the economy. Even ppls personal cars that they take to work. They get to work and start contributing to the economy. :P

But then, quite a bit of wastage is due to commuters stuck in traffic going nowhere (frequently coz them same short sighted politicos want to close the roads to travel). Our leaders really need to start looking into encourage telecommuting. It'll be worth the infrastucture costs in the long run.

1. Most ppl who run a private car into work generally does the kind of work that isn't geographically dependant (I said most, not all)

2. Those ppl staying at home means their cars are off the road, not burning fuel.

3. Those ppl staying at home means a large reduction on the number of cars on the road, meaning less traffic, meaning what vehicles are on the road will be able to move more efficiently to their destinations lowering fuel usage even more.

Of course, there are plenty of factors to look into, like the demand for reliable electricity and reliable highspeed data links ... and of course, how many ppl can actually feasibly work remotely and if there is enough savings to be had to justify the cos, but u never know until u start looking into it.

Further, if I give a simple example the Mitsubishi Montero sold to our market is priced only JPY1,700,000.00 Whereas a new Pajero(Name used in Japan for Montero) in Tokyo before Taxes JPY 3,400,000. Look at the huge difference.

I didnt still understand that, inaam. Explain further plz

Stop bitchin??? What planet are you from mate? It's simply because that we do not bitch enough that we have to face this shit at all.

The economy is drained for the war, and although I know that the f.....g govt is making a big hue and cry about victories there is hardly anything that they have achieved to bring about normalcy if you read the newspapers carefully without getting carried away. It's the same patriotic bullshit story thet George Bush sold to the US public that's been sold to the SL public and ppl are still buying it. Surely you must have read about the controversial arms procurement stories carried out in the Sunday times last month?

All the roads are blocked causing severe traffic jams delays and excessive fuel consumption, broken roads are not repaired as there's no money and our govt. keeps pissing off our donors, these broken roads cause more wear on vehicles, which need repairs or imported spares. More cost.

Expensive vehicles are ok if there was a good clean public transport. Do we have that? What has any goverment done for public transport except order zillions of more buses to congest out roads further and raise the bank account of the transport minister? Yet they order bullet X5 s for a cool 90 mill each not to mention 500 LR Defenders? With whose freakin money? yeah the money that was going to Japan now goes to Germany and the UK. Your common man and even his great grand son will always remain common men because of all this mismanagement and no one ever bitchin about it.

We are a 3rd world country, yes. But do you want us to be a f....g 3rd world country all the time? Why is our petrol so high? Because the damn CPC is a govt, institution and hemmourages us taxpayers' money every day, just like the CEB and other govt. institutions. They're overstaffed and inefficient. Why are they overstaffed? Because of promises given when campaigning to win the election.

Do't forget Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia were also 3rd world countries not long ago. No one wants to be a 3rd world country, and we have the potential to out do all of them if only politicians become patriotic and less corrupt.

This is a motoring site and we love cars. That's why we are here. I'm afraid we do want good roads and good cars at afordable prices, Want a good quality life and rewards for the hard work we do at our work places and businesses.

So I really don't think you can tell anyone of us to stop bitchin!

I didnt still understand that, inaam. Explain further plz

That is the Export model Montero is cheap in price than the Japanese local model Pajero. That's because of its quality and the standards of the vehicle. And after three years this car comes at a very good price sometimes less than the Brand new montero price. Due to its quality and the maintainance standards and the road condition of Japan, these Pajeros are much much more better condition than the brand new imported montero.

If you happened to experience any three year old Jap domestic car (Any Brand) and a Brand new car from the agents and , you use it for a 12 month period with equal usage. You'll see the brand new car is already hacked than the jap domestic car. This is where the quality stands. It's very dificult explain the quality in words, you should experience it by yourself.

If I give you another example. Check out the most fancied Camry at the agents. The plastic parts in the interior has very sharp edges. even it could cut your hand. But simply look at a Camry which is at a used car sale (It's not the Jap domestic but made to another developed country at higher standards) and compare. You will see a clear difference in what I'm saying.

Stop bitchin??? What planet are you from mate? It's simply because that we do not bitch enough that we have to face this shit at all.

The economy is drained for the war, and although I know that the f.....g govt is making a big hue and cry about victories there is hardly anything that they have achieved to bring about normalcy if you read the newspapers carefully without getting carried away. It's the same patriotic bullshit story thet George Bush sold to the US

...yada yada yada yada...

Agreed! You should have the right to bitch about it. Thousands of people die everyday because they don't have food. So I guess if they can bitch about dying, then you can bitch about not having fast cars. Sure the goventment sucks, but who elected the government? You and me did! Well most of us anyway. Maybe you should stop bitchin and do something about it. You can always leave Sri Lanka, no one is stopping you.

IMHO...you're on the wrong page mate...

this aint about fast cars....

there are loads of things you can bitch about and we're not talking about those...

Do you honestly beleive these taxes on cars and the present prices of cars...basic cars and not the fancy ones are justifiable...

governments should lead by example.. them buying more european brands and the hvery high end of it with public funds and forcing us normal buggers to pay absurd amount of money for a basic car is not right...

it's unfair...

It's weird to see a guy being happy for the present car prices :D

whatever you're on... try selling it mass market.... you'll be a millionaire in a couple of days :D

Agreed! You should have the right to bitch about it. Thousands of people die everyday because they don't have food. So I guess if they can bitch about dying, then you can bitch about not having fast cars. Sure the goventment sucks, but who elected the government? You and me did! Well most of us anyway. Maybe you should stop bitchin and do something about it. You can always leave Sri Lanka, no one is stopping you.

Well, dude, this being a motoring forum, it is the correct place to bitch on car prices :D I mean, if u wanna bitch about dying and starving ppl, then I guess that u need to find a forum that handles that, but this forum doesn't handle those things.

And heck, we are trying to change things. Thats why we are staying on and trying voting. Bit of a problem when uneducated masses can be swayed by short term promises, but what can u do but try to educated ppl? And forums are one way of educating ppl. Its all about exchange of information, innit?

Can anyone confirm or deny what frankcastle said abt the quality of the re-con ans brand new cars that r in sri lanka right now, I personally would think that the difference is more abt the options u would get on the original Japanese models rather than any other thing

Inamhash was spot on abt the difference in quality... its not just abt trip levels n options - the quality of materials used differs...

its true that the more obvious things such as the use of Vinyl on export spec versions as opposed to velour or alacantra on seats n door trims

but there are differences in the Suspension settings , quality of componenets

your better off with a JDM spec vehicle any day of the yr - the export mkt vehicles can sometimes be produced in other countires (ex:Accord in India) they tend to skimp a tad in terms of quality

the vehicles brought in from Japan or else where which are used there tend to have complied with the regulations of emmissions as well as quality,so if it was good enough for a "developed nation" why arent they good enough for our little "3rd world country"?? :D