• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Restriction In Used Car Imports And The Car Industry In Sri Lanka

inamhash

If you truly love your country you would buy the locally assembled vehicle and learn to live with it.

Let's tell them to start this from the parliment or atleast from 'pradesheya saba' !! Then I guess the 'atitude' will start to change, hopefully

Edited by Nozozo

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's tell them to start this from the parliment or atleast from 'pradesheya saba' !! Then I guess the 'atitude' will start to change, hopefully

but outta jokes i see the ministers going in for é REXTON - afterall if they bought Tata Safari's & mahendra Scorpio's - this is a step up

&i never thought i'd be saying this of a Korean car,but é REXTON is a failry "decent" looking thing...

I love cars. True this may be -in general- a forum for cars, but this topic has now got a bit of a political bent.

So as in every democratically elected governments' democratic tradition-if you don't like it, you can eat my shorts!

To me the choices are clear. Sri Lanka does offer a viable locally assmebled car. I beleive it still needs a "little" development, but it's not costly. You now have a choice. Love of county or love of cars.

If you truly love your country you would buy the locally assembled vehicle and learn to live with it. If you love your cars more you will want to spend more money and buy a better quality foreign import. I'm ashamed to admit that on two occations I have chosen car over country. So yes, I'm a hypocrite and a bastard. Maybe the government is screwing the country in the ass, and the rich bastards are getting richer by the minute. But, we have a weapon, it's called choie. It might not be powerful enough to overthrow a government, but you can exercise it everytime you go to a supermarket or think of buying a car.

we hear you franky, not that we disrespect your perspective however all these sacrifises we make should have some meaning. if the money we save by sacrifising a good lifestyle means the country is making progress, so be it and we'd gladly support it. however i very much doubt the foreign exchange we save might still end up being wastaed by our politicodiots. mr. chinthanaya has taken a very unorthodox route and there seems to be some success as well, but itz way too early to judge his actions yet. so far i have not been convinced.

but we will see what unfolds in time to come. if mr. chinthanaya is able to solve the terrorist problem and bring about a acceptable and lasting solution, i'd support all these.

I would love to help ma country.. but when it ever comes to me buying a vehicle for my needs.. i guess i would always opt for a brand which has proven economy (cheaper spareparts, maintenance, the works!) rather than a local brand with the so called intention of supporting our country... the sad truth is that our economy is being depreciation daily thus when it comes to a choice as to what path you should take.. it is only human to take the part of being "selfish" by purchasing a foreign import especially in the car when you ve got a family to support and burdens to shoulder financially...

Though when it comes to people who got loadza money to spend n got an idea of going of a 2nd vehicle it would probably be extremely patriotic to go 4 a local made vehicle.. but I guess til Micro or any other local manufacturer for that matter proves that their products are reliable, cheaper and more economical than foreign imports this would happen...

I aint dissing Micro or anything.. am just saying that people prefer to be on the safe side of life rather having constant worries of their vehicle breaking down n stuff.. this added to the pressure of daily life and constant worries bout the future would definitely be a bad bad combo...

but yes being patriotic is the only way for this country to go forward... but to be patriotic the moronz in the govt should atleast take measures to help these local factories and bring them up to a good competing standard so as to reduce any worries or doubts for that matter..

Zz

but if someone wants to be nationalistic in motoring , i cant think of anyone whos put his money where his mouth is , more than Dilantha Malagamuwa - chech out the livery !

f4gy6a2395ry0.jpg

He's a wonderful guy who's really proud of his country. I have seen him in many places he really talk about his country in a big way. GOD BLESS HIM!

Yeah - Madz.

Hey, I know this may seem like a lot of work which would probably lead to nothing, but how about writing a petition to the President on duty structure and maybe even offer alternate proposals for reform? Ie if they want to tax vehicles that's over 2 litre etc, let them do that but atleast have different scales for the regular sedans. I'm sure we can get some of the re-con vehicle dealers to sign the petition?

Hey, I know this may seem like a lot of work which would probably lead to nothing, but how about writing a petition to the President on duty structure and maybe even offer alternate proposals for reform? Ie if they want to tax vehicles that's over 2 litre etc, let them do that but atleast have different scales for the regular sedans. I'm sure we can get some of the re-con vehicle dealers to sign the petition?

i fully agree with dutry structure thing - but there is one in place - but rate between slabs doesnt have enough of a disparity...

as for a petition-as much as i'd love to it work out, i dont think they're gonna change their ecnomic policy on account some car lovers like us crying....besides they want to cut all foriegn exchange outflows - so this is one effective way (or so they thinl) of doing it... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

i fully agree with dutry structure thing - but there is one in place - but rate between slabs doesnt have enough of a disparity...

as for a petition-as much as i'd love to it work out, i dont think they're gonna change their ecnomic policy on account some car lovers like us crying....besides they want to cut all foriegn exchange outflows - so this is one effective way (or so they thinl) of doing it... :D

Infact I can show as many as unwanted forex outflows by importing cheap cars when compared to quality Jap Domestic cars. Only thing guys I'm not free now to post it. I shall do it at another time FYI.

Infact I can show as many as unwanted forex outflows by importing cheap cars when compared to quality Jap Domestic cars. Only thing guys I'm not free now to post it. I shall do it at another time FYI.

yeah pls share machang - its good that we know machang so that we can all be advocates for é cause of easing import restrictions...