• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fortuner vs Montero Sport vs Sorento

Akham Murad

I'm looking to buy an SUV for about 10mn (max)

My current options are 

1. 2012 montero sport

2.KIA sorento 2012 up

3.toyota fortuner 2007/9

I recently came across a MS with 190K mileage and most of the sorentos are also 150K plus if maintained well will this be a problem?

If maintained properly...no that will not be a problem. The engines in the Fortuner and the Pajero Sport are workhorse engines and properly taken care of, 190K is nothing. Especially if they are diesel variants. The petrol 2.7L Fortuner is not bad for day to day driving but is a bit gutless if you want to do any heavy work (I doubt there are any V6 Fortuners or Pajero Sports in SL). So go for the diesel variants.

Ride...refinement of the Sorento is better than that of the Fortuner and the Pajero Sport as the Toyota and Mitsubishi have body of frame designs and is pretty much a softened up pickup base. The Sorento is more of a crossover that does pretty well within the city. All of the cars have very plasticy interiors. The Toyota interior feels more solid than the other two whilst the Pajero Sport's body construct feels more like a tank that will survive a bomb-blast. The Pajero with the right engine will move like a bat out of hell. The Toyota on the other hand feels like you can throw it around and drive off a cliff and it will still run. 

When the roads get tough though the Sorento simply does not match up to the other two cars. Also, and this is a personal opinion, the Sorentos of the era you are looking at looks rather dated and worn out compared to the other two vehicles. 

• Thanks 2

When it comes to the Montero Sport and Fortuner, you sorta land and the bottom end of the pool of vehicles for sale with your budget, thus landing with the high mileage beat up cars that have been around the block. 

I'd suggest trying to stretch your budget a bit more as approx. there are many genuine cars at the 100K Km mark for sale, but demanding a bit higher price.

I know you see a load for sale on ###### or fb marketplace but those have probably done north of 400K (tampered to 100K) with many lady drivers and doctor/director/chairman owners. The gearbox will need an overhaul nearing 400K. 

There are Montero Sport's that have done 400K + in govt institutions with no issues to date. I have seen a 2007 fortuner at the 350K km mark in Jaffna with only a facelift(Ex-UN or embassy car I think). 

My prediction is they will rise again due to the wonders of this nation.

Also keep in mind of essential maintenance of these vehicles as you will need about LKR200,000 for the timing belt + ancillary replacements even if the mileage at the 100K km mark or 200K Km mark.

The most frugal of an oil change would cost about LKR30000+ (Montero Sport) and that is every 5000km, same with the Fortuner.

Edited by tiv
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, tiv said:

When it comes to the Montero Sport and Fortuner, you sorta land and the bottom end of the pool of vehicles for sale with your budget, thus landing with the high mileage beat up cars that have been around the block. 

I'd suggest trying to stretch your budget a bit more as approx. there are many genuine cars at the 100K Km mark for sale, but demanding a bit higher price.

I know you see a load for sale on ###### or fb marketplace but those have probably done north of 400K (tampered to 100K) with many lady drivers and doctor/director/chairman owners. The gearbox will need an overhaul nearing 400K. 

There are Montero Sport's that have done 400K + in govt institutions with no issues to date. I have seen a 2007 fortuner at the 350K km mark in Jaffna with only a facelift(Ex-UN or embassy car I think). 

My prediction is they will rise again due to the wonders of this nation.

Also keep in mind of essential maintenance of these vehicles as you will need about LKR200,000 for the timing belt + ancillary replacements even if the mileage at the 100K km mark or 200K Km mark.

The most frugal of an oil change would cost about LKR30000+ (Montero Sport) and that is every 5000km, same with the Fortuner.

Will definitely put to the company and the other vehicle check place before purchasing,right now my liking is towards the MS because I need a hardy vehicle because most of the road the I travel daily are I  quite bad condition 

Ps : need an SUV even a 5 seater is fine

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Akham Murad said:

Anybidea about the fuel economy of the fortuner 2.7 V petrol?

My one in Vietnam got about 6kmpl driving carefully. I did not use it that much during heavy traffic (when it is heavy the traffic can become 10x times worse than in Colombo). On long-haul drives I got about 11.

• Thanks 1