• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Greatest Automotive Nation?

isurujosh

Greatest Automotive Nation?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is world's greatest automotive nation?

• UK
    • Germany
    • Italy
    • Japan
    • USA
    • France
    • Sri Lanka

Question

Greatness is such a subjective thing, isn't it. So your choice is as good as mine. So please take some time out to vote for the greatest automotive nation in your book and state why.

I have included...

UK: This is my choice. More I read about great cars more I am inclined to believe that Brits are the best in building cars. Be it the Mclaren F1, Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Lotus, Caterham, Aston Martin they all are very British and have some mystique greatness. Most other car makers in the world borrow expertise from british, sometimes eventhough the nameplate might read non-british the technology and philosophy really come from Britain. I recently even read that although Audi is renowned for 4WD quattro, the first 4WD cars were from Britain. But like all British car makers thay had not made profits and been forced to shut down. I don't think greateness has to be associated with "profits" so I vote Brit :huh:

Germany: Need I say more... Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW ... (Or eventhough Bugatti is really a French nameplate, I consider Veyron German more than any other)

Italy: Characterrised by the ever so raging and fierce battle between Farrari and Lambo.

Japan: They certainly make things perfect.

USA: :lol: I remain silent and let you decide.

France: Oh! they made the Bugatti Royale and they own the nameplate.

Sri Lanka: At the end of the day, we make the most out of the least :lol: . And how can I not give any choice for the Patriotic membership of our forum.

I hope I have not missed any other serious contender for this title. (PLZZZZ not India Ok!)

why does this Thread show new replies on the Forum home page - but only have old posts when é thread is opened???

bec when some one votes it comes to the top

i just voted ;)

dont refresh to much you will need a new keyboard :)

Edited by MRM

Jensen FF - the real pioneer of modern 4WD is my source on 4WD claim. You are most welcome to comment/rectify or even deny the below claim from the aforementioned source.

Wiki mentions ur Jensen FF as the first 4x4 production sports car on that link I mentioned. As such, a pioneer, but nowhere near the first developer, so that credit does not go to UK.

Wiki mentions ur Jensen FF as the first 4x4 production sports car on that link I mentioned. As such, a pioneer, but nowhere near the first developer, so that credit does not go to UK.

whr did i say first developer? look for highlighted section below(i had posted this earlier too)

Whenever talk about 4WD, most people will probably think of Audi. In fact, Jensen, a small British sports car maker, introduced the first modern 4WD system into its Jensen FF grand tourer as early as 1966.

Worked in collaboration with engineering consultant FF Development, Jensen's system employed the so-called "Feguson Formula" layout, that is, Viscous Coupling differential lock for both the center and rear differentials. This system is still the most popular 4WD system today. Accompany with the world's first anti-lock brake (though mechanical only), Jensen FF amazed the contemporary auto journalists by its superior stability.

whr did i say first developer? look for highlighted section below(i had posted this earlier too)

well techinically the very FIRST 4WD system was the MOST modern -

odd as it may seems its true - the concept was so modern that NASA uses it on thier Rovers!

it was designed by none other than Ferdinand Porsche himself in 1901 i believ - it was a funky ELECTRIC system where EACH WHEEL is seperately motorized!!!!!

....he must've been truly brilliant to actuall make it work....a whole Century ago!! :o

I really can't believe the majority here. :D They voted Japan as the "Greatest" automotive nation?????

They seem to know so little about the automotive industry. Japan is pretty new to making cars compared to europe and the US. Mind you Japan just copied everything almost never invented or innovated.

They are great businessmen but can never be the greatest automotive nation.

What have they achieved in motorsport??? I would say almost nothing compared to what they spent. What are the new tech they've brought? Nothing again. It's been Europeans who invented almost everything.

The Japs make reliable, well built cars and most of them are extremely boring to drive. Wake up guys! Time to read up your history.

There's a different world out there apart from Toyotas and Hondas. Just because we've been forced on a diet of Sushi that does not mean steak don't exist! :o

well techinically the very FIRST 4WD system was the MOST modern -

odd as it may seems its true - the concept was so modern that NASA uses it on thier Rovers!

it was designed by none other than Ferdinand Porsche himself in 1901 i believ - it was a funky ELECTRIC system where EACH WHEEL is seperately motorized!!!!!

....he must've been truly brilliant to actuall make it work....a whole Century ago!! :o

interesting piece of info. these germans are some kind of engineers, aren't they? oh i am coming to realise that you are some kind of a walking encyclopedia too. :D

I really can't believe the majority here. :o They voted Japan as the "Greatest" automotive nation?????

They seem to know so little about the automotive industry. Japan is pretty new to making cars compared to europe and the US. Mind you Japan just copied everything almost never invented or innovated.

They are great businessmen but can never be the greatest automotive nation.

What have they achieved in motorsport??? I would say almost nothing compared to what they spent. What are the new tech they've brought? Nothing again. It's been Europeans who invented almost everything.

The Japs make reliable, well built cars and most of them are extremely boring to drive. Wake up guys! Time to read up your history.

There's a different world out there apart from Toyotas and Hondas. Just because we've been forced on a diet of Sushi that does not mean steak don't exist! ;)

This is my personal opinion. Generally the germans have been so good at engineering, the british in motoring philosophy, italy in bringing beautiful masterpieces that cobine best of europe (in essence best of world), americans in making things go fast in a straight line :lol: , japanese in striking the right balance. and what are we sri lankans good at?

Edited by isurujosh

interesting piece of info. these germans are some kind of engineers, aren't they? oh i am coming to realise that you are some kind of a walking encyclopedia too. ;)

just zelouse research bro :D

japanese in striking the right balance

bro i dont think é Japs have found that balance....@least not yet...only Lexus has really got luxury covered - not even the top spec Toyota crown even came with Cow Hide on the inside!! :o

&as GTAm noted Japs r boring...é only thing fun as agreed by most is é Miata - & that is all ugly plastic on the inside

Compare that with a Westfield (@least its Alacantra or Velour! :lol: )

-thus no real "balance"

é issue is that MOST Sri Lankans have NEVER been exposed to é joys of British motors - myself included

but even speaking to a Euro enthisiast wil be able to change a persons mind IF they r a true Petrol head

but IF a real TOUCH n FEEL experince can be had,then they'd SOLD n hooked on "real" cars

:o

just zelouse research bro :D

bro i dont think é Japs have found that balance....@least not yet...only Lexus has really got luxury covered - not even the top spec Toyota crown even came with Cow Hide on the inside!! :o

&as GTAm noted Japs r boring...é only thing fun as agreed by most is é Miata - & that is all ugly plastic on the inside

Compare that with a Westfield (@least its Alacantra or Velour! :lol: )

-thus no real "balance"

é issue is that MOST Sri Lankans have NEVER been exposed to é joys of British motors - myself included

but even speaking to a Euro enthisiast wil be able to change a persons mind IF they r a true Petrol head

but IF a real TOUCH n FEEL experince can be had,then they'd SOLD n hooked on "real" cars

:o

i think u misuderstood the term 'balance'... i meant finding the optimal combination dat masses need. which is why Toyota is soon gonna become world's largest automaker.

heck why am i defending japz here ;) afterall we bot voted UK!

heck why am i defending japz here :lol: afterall we bot voted UK!

honndha kolla né :o (but why dont é "messes" who support é Japs speak out instead of using a "brit" voter as spokesperson :D)

as for Toyota's rise to the top- well IMO its only cuz "REAL" car lovers now r few n far between - ppl buy cars fro transport - NOT as a hobby or an object of desire

as a result TOyota honed in on this trend of ppl wanting boxes wit space wheels seats n good fuel econmy - minus é traits that make a cae special n therefore great n made good but VERy ORdinary cars to cater to the masses - i really dont see any "GREATNESS " in that

i personally as a Jap Fan - but i dont think that quality of " greatness" can be associated with them quite yet...in half a century more,probably if more cars like é GTR r keep é Nippon flag flying...

honndha kolla né :o (but why dont é "messes" who support é Japs speak out instead of using a "brit" voter as spokesperson :D)

as for Toyota's rise to the top- well IMO its only cuz "REAL" car lovers now r few n far between - ppl buy cars fro transport - NOT as a hobby or an object of desire

as a result TOyota honed in on this trend of ppl wanting boxes wit space wheels seats n good fuel econmy - minus é traits that make a cae special n therefore great n made good but VERy ORdinary cars to cater to the masses - i really dont see any "GREATNESS " in that

i personally as a Jap Fan - but i dont think that quality of " greatness" can be associated with them quite yet...in half a century more,probably if more cars like é GTR r keep é Nippon flag flying...

i still stand by my vote for UK. but in fairness to jappos i wish to say that it is fair to even call japs the greatest. z it not great that they always build what the majority/mainstream wants. is it not great that they extensively worked hard on production methods and brought costs down (or improve quality)... there are million other good things about japs that i can say of... but what i am saying in essence is japs also have done a lot and someone in his/her intuition may call it "great" or eventually "greatest"...

i still stand by my vote for UK. but in fairness to jappos i wish to say that it is fair to even call japs the greatest. z it not great that they always build what the majority/mainstream wants. is it not great that they extensively worked hard on production methods and brought costs down (or improve quality)... there are million other good things about japs that i can say of... but what i am saying in essence is japs also have done a lot and someone in his/her intuition may call it "great" or eventually "greatest"...

hmmm ur right - é car evlolved & became accesible to the masses because of them n in a way that gives them a claim to greatness in é sense that they gave all n sundry a chance to experince "motoring",be it a very plasticky n soggy version of it

Japs=good but for that equation to go "great" - they'll have to sell me a car that runs on water for under 50,000 Befoe the end of the week & then i'll came em é greatest - so until that happens

i say UK is é Greatest automotive Nation! :o

hmmm ur right - é car evlolved & became accesible to the masses because of them n in a way that gives them a claim to greatness in é sense that they gave all n sundry a chance to experince "motoring",be it a very plasticky n soggy version of it

Japs=good but for that equation to go "great" - they'll have to sell me a car that runs on water for under 50,000 Befoe the end of the week & then i'll came em é greatest - so until that happens

i say UK is é Greatest automotive Nation! :o

I think not anymore. YES may be about 30 - 40 years back. (I think we are not talking about how the automotive industry evolved. if so I could agree with you)

MG - Closed down Bermigham plant and bought over by Chinese

Vauxhall - Own by General motors and showroom close to my place suddenly went missing (heard they closed down)

Rols Roys - The last symbol of british quality acording to some is own by BMW

Lotus - Struggling

Land Rover - (my personal fav) the last standing hero

So I think main players are Japs and Germans with each has certain methods of penetrating the market. Jap cars gives you a real value for money where german cars are all about the passion and driving pleasure.

well you are rite..they are gteatest machines.

anyway guys..we are missing Sweds. arnt they have good cars in the name of Volvo and SAAB

That credit belongs to the Americans and the Model T Ford.

I think not anymore. YES may be about 30 - 40 years back. (I think we are not talking about how the automotive industry evolved. if so I could agree with you)

MG - Closed down Bermigham plant and bought over by Chinese

Vauxhall - Own by General motors and showroom close to my place suddenly went missing (heard they closed down)

Rols Roys - The last symbol of british quality acording to some is own by BMW

Lotus - Struggling

Land Rover - (my personal fav) the last standing hero

So I think main players are Japs and Germans with each has certain methods of penetrating the market. Jap cars gives you a real value for money where german cars are all about the passion and driving pleasure.

well you are rite..they are gteatest machines.

anyway guys..we are missing Sweds. arnt they have good cars in the name of Volvo and SAAB

oh yah i almost forgot sweeds! (how dare am i to work for a sweedish company and yet 4get them)

Volvo is owned by For now i guess... but the real sweedish hero to me is KONIGGGGGSEGGGGG CCX! angry car!

i wonder whether there are any british heros left! oh MORGAN! (not sure)

Brits are paying the price for becoming a cold nation. They have sort of lost the enthusiasm in all sort of areas in the industries and automotive industry is a good indication of whats going around.

Anyway what about Aston Martin in super car category. ?

Brits are paying the price for becoming a cold nation. They have sort of lost the enthusiasm in all sort of areas in the industries and automotive industry is a good indication of whats going around.

astons are the good lookers! some say DB9 is the best looking cars ever... again Astons' are not number cars... those are cars you buy with your heart and soul and treasure... but take ferrair F430, 599, or any ferrari and u realise that astons are ages behind in technology and precision. and Aston is also run by ford now!(in a way a savior for ford) - god i watch top gear too much :D

astons are the good lookers! some say DB9 is the best looking cars ever... again Astons' are not number cars... those are cars you buy with your heart and soul and treasure... but take ferrair F430, 599, or any ferrari and u realise that astons are ages behind in technology and precision. and Aston is also run by ford now!(in a way a savior for ford) - god i watch top gear too much :D

Top Gear is very bias when it comes to British makes. Its mainly due to policies here anyone with money can buy british firms. So it is a common thing to see even firms doing well here are bought over by foreigners. In that case I think Land Rover has enough sales to servive without any foreign cash inputs. (I am not sure about Aston Martin finacial situation though) I think when it comes to the world big playes its sort of a prestrige to take over a british company. Good for their marketting and image building.

lets say Micra is about to take over Land Rover.. what sort of publicity stunt that gonna be for Micra ?

Top Gear is very bias when it comes to British makes. Its mainly due to policies here anyone with money can buy british firms. So it is a common thing to see even firms doing well here are bought over by foreigners. In that case I think Land Rover has enough sales to servive without any foreign cash inputs. (I am not sure about Aston Martin finacial situation though) I think when it comes to the world big playes its sort of a prestrige to take over a british company. Good for their marketting and image building.

lets say Micra is about to take over Land Rover.. what sort of publicity stunt that gonna be for Micra ?

i think aston made a profit last year... but jag is in deep sh*t...

ford might still sell aston to save ford in USA.

well i guess ur right - the 1st country to be involved in the INdustrial revolution was the UK né....so now they've dropped off manufacturing

your right - é British motoring industry no longer exists in mass market products...its all abt making "special" cars - ones with "spirit"

interms of those Britain has heaps!

MARCOS

MORGAN

WESTFIELD

CATERHAM

TVR

BRISTOL

NOBLE

LISTER

ARIEL

AC

McLAREN

BENTLY MULLINER (although owned per se by VW,Mulliner coash builders hand build their special order Bently's)

as for Aston Martin -although having done well with the new 3 - DB9,Vantage&Vanquish - Ford is selling it at 500Million GBP if i'm not mistaken

:(

No one has voted for USA yet? Too bad Cadilac

Sri Lankans orleast AL memebrs r anti -American wagé... :D

but the Americans have made some great cars - and who can even hold a candle to those massive BIG BLOCK V8's :P