• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Import a 1997 Nissan car

Azula9713

Question

Once import ban is lifted is there any way to import a 1997 made Nissan car to Sri Lanka? Maybe with a special permission? If possible what's the procedure? The car I'm looking for is a Nissan 180 SX that needs some repairs. (3.5 Grading in Japan auction). 

8 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, Azula9713 said:

Once import ban is lifted is there any way to import a 1997 made Nissan car to Sri Lanka? Maybe with a special permission? If possible what's the procedure? The car I'm looking for is a Nissan 180 SX that needs some repairs. (3.5 Grading in Japan auction). 

Legally no. And there wont be special permits unless you are the president of the country.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Azula9713 said:

4 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Legally no. And there wont be special permits unless you are the president of the country.

Actually there is! The mechanism to import "classic/special" cars I believe still exists. The whole process involves requesting special permission and getting an endorsement from the classic car club. Now...the classic car club nor the authorities are going to simply endorse anyone bringing down any old car. So it will have to be pretty special. After that you are literally paying taxes equivalent to a brand new car. So considering the price you will be paying for a 1997 Nissan, you probably could find yourself a pretty nice sports car that is much newer.

Also, if this is an old car you have owned in another country for a significant amount of time you can go to the customs department and ministry of finance and request permission to bring it down as a personal asset. But still you will be struck with high taxes.

At the end of the day..the legal means are simply not worth it unless you have very very deep pockets.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Azula9713 said:

Oh wow. That's good to know. Okay, one question tho. As far as I know, there is no newer version of 180SX. So if they were to tax, what would they consider?

Tax will be based on engine capacity (an 1800cc and below engine will be taxed at Rs. 5300/- per cc) doesn't matter if there is no successor. 

13 hours ago, Azula9713 said:

Oh wow. That's good to know. Okay, one question tho. As far as I know, there is no newer version of 180SX.

As @Gummybr mentioned it is based on the CC value of the car. It is the same for a new car as it is for a 25+ old one. Plus, they will look at the market value of the car and determine if you have to pay luxury tax or not as well (so even if you bought your 180SX for 1USD, if the market value is high thanks to the JDM fanboy tax, they will charge you luxury tax).

3 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Dont think a 1997 Nissan 180SX would fall into that category.

Hard to say...considering its cult status of the car they might allow it. After all word is that one of the S2000s made it to the island that way. But would also depend on the condition of the car. A restorable car maybe..but an abandoned drift missile made to run...probably not.

2 hours ago, Gummybr said:

Thanks for the info. I remember back in the day there was a thing called classic car imports if im not mistaken. That is no longer available?

Edited by Azula9713

2 hours ago, iRage said:

Actually there is! The mechanism to import "classic/special" cars I believe still exists. The whole process involves requesting special permission and getting an endorsement from the classic car club. Now...the classic car club nor the authorities are going to simply endorse anyone bringing down any old car. So it will have to be pretty special. After that you are literally paying taxes equivalent to a brand new car. So considering the price you will be paying for a 1997 Nissan, you probably could find yourself a pretty nice sports car that is much newer.

Also, if this is an old car you have owned in another country for a significant amount of time you can go to the customs department and ministry of finance and request permission to bring it down as a personal asset. But still you will be struck with high taxes.

At the end of the day..the legal means are simply not worth it unless you have very very deep pockets.

Oh wow. That's good to know. Okay, one question tho. As far as I know, there is no newer version of 180SX. So if they were to tax, what would they consider?

12 hours ago, iRage said:

Dont think a 1997 Nissan 180SX would fall into that category.

On 10/26/2023 at 12:07 PM, iRage said:

As @Gummybr mentioned it is based on the CC value of the car. It is the same for a new car as it is for a 25+ old one. Plus, they will look at the market value of the car and determine if you have to pay luxury tax or not as well (so even if you bought your 180SX for 1USD, if the market value is high thanks to the JDM fanboy tax, they will charge you luxury tax).

Hard to say...considering its cult status of the car they might allow it. After all word is that one of the S2000s made it to the island that way. But would also depend on the condition of the car. A restorable car maybe..but an abandoned drift missile made to run...probably not.

Thanks a lot for the info. I'll also do a research on my own. I just didn't know where to start. Appreciate it guys