• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sri Lankan Expatriate Workers Can Now Bring Home The Vehicle They Used

Happy26

Sri Lankan expatriate workers can now bring home the vehicle they used

Feb 24, Colombo: Sri Lanka government has now granted permission to the Sri Lankans who return from work in abroad to bring their used car to the homeland.

Accordingly the expatriate workers will be allowed to import five years old cars if they have been used by them for a year's time.

If the vehicle to be imported is five to ten years old, it should be one used by them for three years. However the vehicles need to be registered in the expatriate worker's name to be allowed for importation.

Sri Lankan expatriate workers can now bring home the vehicle they used

Feb 24, Colombo: Sri Lanka government has now granted permission to the Sri Lankans who return from work in abroad to bring their used car to the homeland.

Accordingly the expatriate workers will be allowed to import five years old cars if they have been used by them for a year's time.

If the vehicle to be imported is five to ten years old, it should be one used by them for three years. However the vehicles need to be registered in the expatriate worker's name to be allowed for importation.

Does this mean that the govt will not impose duty on such imports..? as like the MP's can bring down vehicles duty free..?

And does this mean that i can geta 318i BMW thru one of my reletives for veryy lesser price without tax..?

COz the Same e36 that sells for 1.5 mil here, you can get it from UK for half of that price or even lesser with low milage and better quality

hmmmmmmm

Does this mean that the govt will not impose duty on such imports..? as like the MP's can bring down vehicles duty free..?

And does this mean that i can geta 318i BMW thru one of my reletives for veryy lesser price without tax..?

COz the Same e36 that sells for 1.5 mil here, you can get it from UK for half of that price or even lesser with low milage and better quality

hmmmmmmm

im sure there is a engine capacity limit involvled. Maybe upto 1500cc. Anyway this is unfair becuase these guys can bring down 5 year ol used cars whilst us can get only 2 year old cars off the shelf

im sure there is a engine capacity limit involvled. Maybe upto 1500cc. Anyway this is unfair becuase these guys can bring down 5 year ol used cars whilst us can get only 2 year old cars off the shelf

Oh dnt worry bro, Im sure our cunning geniuses will be able to sneak thru this deal and bring some older babies down to SL, i can guranteee on that one ha ha ha

but wot i wana knw is that, is this DUTY FREE OR NOT, coz the vehicle prices in this country are rediculesly high :unsure: due to crazy tax schemes

Wotz wrong with this country, Only MP's can go in BMW's n Merce and everyone else has to go in a shithole MARUTI, hec even a MAruti will cost over 1 milion, WOTTA JOKE :alc:

Duty will be applicable!

but it will be lesser as it is calculated based on Depreciation of é vehicle - so é older the vehicle , é more é depreciation which in turn means lesser duty

thats is é only advatage,besides of course being able to bring in a particular vehicle that may no longer be in production

@HOLa - machan it is perfectly fair as most of those ppl who work abroad contribute Foreign Exchange earned to the country - this should be remunerated in some small measure or é other

& besides this rule for imports has been around for ages - just that the ownership duration prior to export was different..

Duty will be applicable!

but it will be lesser as it is calculated based on Depreciation of é vehicle - so é older the vehicle , é more é depreciation which in turn means lesser duty

thats is é only advatage,besides of course being able to bring in a particular vehicle that may no longer be in production

@HOLa - machan it is perfectly fair as most of those ppl who work abroad contribute Foreign Exchange earned to the country - this should be remunerated in some small measure or é other

& besides this rule for imports has been around for ages - just that the ownership duration prior to export was different..

Ok, it is fair that they get to bring down their car along with them after akk te hard work they did. But it is not that fair that they can import 5year old vehicles while we can only 2years. Some of the buyers here maybe from export oriented companys etc. They are too contributing for bringing down foreign exchange

Oh dnt worry bro, Im sure our cunning geniuses will be able to sneak thru this deal and bring some older babies down to SL, i can guranteee on that one ha ha ha

but wot i wana knw is that, is this DUTY FREE OR NOT, coz the vehicle prices in this country are rediculesly high :unsure: due to crazy tax schemes

Wotz wrong with this country, Only MP's can go in BMW's n Merce and everyone else has to go in a shithole MARUTI, hec even a MAruti will cost over 1 milion, WOTTA JOKE :alc:

Hey you are right. But the new export licence can be a barrier

Hola,

If an export oriented company is registered with the export development board, and i am not sure of the exact requirements, they can claim a duty concession I think.

the other way to get a duty concession is through registering with the BOI,

The reasons why most eligible businesses would not register with such institutions would be tax evasion. and who is to be blamed for that?.

Fact is Hola I wonder if you realize this foreign workers needed to make regular remittances back to SL to qualify for this scheme, and Sri Lanka is a country who are dependent on these foreign currency reserves to keep the value of the rupee from degrading,

And it is a service to Sri Lanka, because if you look at the credit interest most banks pay on foreign currency deposits its much better for most of these workers to keep the money in the country of their earnings because they can get a better interest rate, so some incentive need to be provided for that money to come SL way and boost foreign currency reserves,

this would in return translate to the rupee attaining a higher value and imports into SL becoming cheaper because of the strength of the rupee, thus it is very beneficial to the sri lankan economy.

Countries like the Philippines who have large migrant worker populations have far more lucrative incentives offered to their workers for the same reasons as above.

Regards,

The Don

Edited by The Don

Hola,

If an export oriented company is registered with the export development board, and i am not sure of the exact requirements, they can claim a duty concession I think.

the other way to get a duty concession is through registering with the BOI,

The reasons why most eligible businesses would not register with such institutions would be tax evasion. and who is to be blamed for that?.

Fact is Hola I wonder if you realize this foreign workers needed to make regular remittances back to SL to qualify for this scheme, and Sri Lanka is a country who are dependent on these foreign currency reserves to keep the value of the rupee from degrading,

And it is a service to Sri Lanka, because if you look at the credit interest most banks pay on foreign currency deposits its much better for most of these workers to keep the money in the country of their earnings because they can get a better interest rate, so some incentive need to be provided for that money to come SL way and boost foreign currency reserves,

this would in return translate to the rupee attaining a higher value and imports into SL becoming cheaper because of the strength of the rupee, thus it is very beneficial to the sri lankan economy.

Countries like the Philippines who have large migrant worker populations have far more lucrative incentives offered to their workers for the same reasons as above.

Regards,

The Don

You got a good point. But the argument is most of our migrant workers are house maids to factory workers. So will there be a significant benifit as a whole on this deal? Or will a diplomat or a person with a high profile job overseas will benifit from this?

You got a good point. But the argument is most of our migrant workers are house maids to factory workers. So will there be a significant benifit as a whole on this deal? Or will a diplomat or a person with a high profile job overseas will benifit from this?

Well whoever working outside and bringing that most important foreign exchange to the country has to be benifict from one way or another. My opinion is we are not appreciating enough what our migrant workers are doing for the country specialy those who sweating in middle east as factory workers and house maids. Please keep this in mind mate you want be able to import a single car into the country without foreign exchange they are sending back. (apart from garment industry and tea I cant see any other solid foreign exchange source for us).

But I think the whole idea of this scheme is allowing individuals to bring back their beloved vehicle with them when they are returning to the country. Its more like relocating with your personal belongings.

Well whoever working outside and bringing that most important foreign exchange to the country has to be benifict from one way or another. My opinion is we are not appreciating enough what our migrant workers are doing for the country specialy those who sweating in middle east as factory workers and house maids. Please keep this in mind mate you want be able to import a single car into the country without foreign exchange they are sending back. (apart from garment industry and tea I cant see any other solid foreign exchange source for us).

But I think the whole idea of this scheme is allowing individuals to bring back their beloved vehicle with them when they are returning to the country. Its more like relocating with your personal belongings.

You got a point. Lets hope our guys wont misuse this and end this sooner

You got a point. Lets hope our guys wont misuse this and end this sooner

You bet they will!! there is always someone trying to make a quick buck the crooked way.. I hope this rule will be there when I am ready to come back eventually (who knows when that'll be). But then my cars would be LHD :(

dont under estimate the number of SKILLED Migrant workers from SL - é days of just "housemaids" is long gone...

& Diplomats are NOT migrant workers!!! they are Govt. representatives and do not quite fit into this bracket!!!! - they're Govt servants so they used to get different kinda permits & allowances

dont under estimate the number of SKILLED Migrant workers from SL - é days of just "housemaids" is long gone...

& Diplomats are NOT migrant workers!!! they are Govt. representatives and do not quite fit into this bracket!!!! - they're Govt servants so they used to get different kinda permits & allowances

im sure there is a engine capacity limit involvled. Maybe upto 1500cc.

there is no engine cap on this permit...engine cap is only on the gift permit....

the permit only allows RHD....i posted the specifics of this permit on another thread....

The Plan!

Get in touch with companys who has hired Sri Lankan workers

Then get in touch with the workers

Wire transfer money to buy the car of your choice with a leagel bond so he/she cant cheat

Bring it down here for this lovely permit!