• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Scientific Body Styling

Hola

Question

Hey All,

We see lot of cars in SL and around the world beign what we call "modified". For us we call it modify when there are so many body styling rather than engine mods. In other words it can be caled bodyfying :D . But there some body styling which actulay adds value for the ride. Like the spolier (proper ones), and defuser bumpers. There some who adds side fenders for the car but some makes it very effective in terms of intake etc and other just for beauty. Some have these huge turbo type front grills while that car does not even fit for a turbo.

Whats your view guys?

IPB Image

IPB Image

• Answers 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

ricing is all about cosmetic work to make it look fast , as opposed to actual performance mods which make it go fast...

any modification - body or otherwise which doesnt suppliment a performance component -(eg- Bonnet scoop for a top mounted intercooler would compliment/suppliment performance) is ricing

Yes, but there are spoilers which makes the ride smoother doesnt it?

Hay Holla

Small clarification form my side- The Spoiler ( well at least a standard one – not the ones that are almost touching the heavens ) do they actually keep the car closer to the ground ? eg. When your going fairly fast the wind tends to push the rear up- isn’t the spoiler supposed to keep it to the ground ? I kind of got the feeling as my old one had a spoiler and is was quite good at high speeds- my new ride feels as if the rear is about to take off as it’s a bit on the high side too

On body kit- well they look really nice – but we must understand that the kits on some of the pics given are all out of SL- where they have decent roads- so I suppose they can look at really low kits…. Some of them here in SL look darn stupid- but there are several that are really cool

The basic premise behind the spoilers, diffusers etc is to reduce the lift generated by your car.

Due to the shape of most cars, when moving, the air travelling above the car and underneath it, have different speeds. The air travelling over the top moves faster as it has to cover more distance, and the air travelling underneath your car travels slower relative to the air speed over your roof. this causes the top side of your car to have a lower pressure than the undercarrige, causing lift. your car essentially becomes a wing.

In order to reduce this effect, and produce downforce, people have come up with various solution.

The SPOILER works on the same principle, making the air that passes through it travel faster underneath it with respect to the air velocity on its top side. making it produce the opposite of lift, downforce.

Most, if not all spoilers have their effect at higher velocities. so your aerodynamics come into play at higher speeds. At lower speeds, you still rely on good old mechanical grip.

All the other little chin spoilers, underbody diffusers, rear diffusers in some way or form play on the above premice of varying air velocity along the shape of a car.

Throughout time, manufacturers like Mitsubishi, Ferrari, Subaru, Porsche have also come up with some "Out there" solutions like the vortex genarators and the good old air suckers on the F50 that also try to solve the good old downforce problem. Some more effective than others, but great marketing tool none the less.

some pretty cool info Kaluz! tnx!

now to add something on the subject...

increasing downforce isn't ideal for every application some cars which pay more emphasis on top speed like the Koniggsegg try to achieve a low drag co-efficient to achieve high top speed. but the more downforce you have less top speed you are likely to achieve. so it is very important to find the right balance that allow the car to perform at it's best.

to me among the ultra modern super cars Ferrari Enzo has some interesting downfore so i wish to share the following information on it (which i quote from Autozine.org

The Enzo has an aerodynamic drag coefficient as poor as 0.36, virtually back to the Testarossa era. However, like Formula 1 cars, its emphasis is on downforce and therefore handling. When you have 660 horsepower on tap and 217mph top speed, you know how important downforce is.

The downforce generated by Enzo is unimaginable, especially for a car having no big rear spoiler. At 300kph (186mph), it generates a massive 775kg of downforce, compare with Pagani Zonda’s 500kg. Most of the downforce is contributed by the ground effect diffusers at the bottom of the tail. Many other supercars also have similar stuffs, but Enzo’s is far more powerful because its high nose draws a lot of fast air flow towards the diffusers. Thanks to what they learned from Formula 1 racing.

A smaller part of the downforce is contributed by a tiny rear spoiler and a pair of internal aero flaps located in front of the front wheels. Both of them are automatically adjustable according to speed. For example, at 200kph (124mph), the Enzo generates 344kg of downforce. This rises to the maximum 775kg at 300kph (186mph), and then eases back to enable higher top speed. At 217mph (350kph), the downforce is reduced to 585kg.

there are many more cars that can aerodynamically adjust itself at various speeds... not just the enzo...

mazdaspeed take note that not ALL slap-on spoilers give you downforce... some of them are just dead weights... they have to be in the shape of an upside aircraft wing to be in the least bit effective... as Kaluz mentioned the difference in pressure producing lift, a wing works in the same way... so if you turn it upside down it produces negative lift/downforce...

Hay Holla

Small clarification form my side- The Spoiler ( well at least a standard one – not the ones that are almost touching the heavens ) do they actually keep the car closer to the ground ? eg. When your going fairly fast the wind tends to push the rear up- isn’t the spoiler supposed to keep it to the ground ? I kind of got the feeling as my old one had a spoiler and is was quite good at high speeds- my new ride feels as if the rear is about to take off as it’s a bit on the high side too

On body kit- well they look really nice – but we must understand that the kits on some of the pics given are all out of SL- where they have decent roads- so I suppose they can look at really low kits…. Some of them here in SL look darn stupid- but there are several that are really cool

Yeah man, some just harm the ride by making it more heavy by ading nonsense body kits

there are many more cars that can aerodynamically adjust itself at various speeds... not just the enzo...

mazdaspeed take note that not ALL slap-on spoilers give you downforce... some of them are just dead weights... they have to be in the shape of an upside aircraft wing to be in the least bit effective... as Kaluz mentioned the difference in pressure producing lift, a wing works in the same way... so if you turn it upside down it produces negative lift/downforce...

This is where diffusers comes in

Diffuser (automotive)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

The aft part of a car underbody can be a diffuser. I tries to connect the underbody to the back without producing turbulences so that Bernoulli's principle applies and the pressure increases while the velocity decreases. The side and the roof end in a sharp edge, so that their pressure does not increase. Because the pressure in the back tends to equilibrate the pressure below the car is lower than on the side and the roof of the car.

Note that the front of the car slows down the air without an diffuser making this the ideal place for an inlet. But a diffuser reduces the pressure in front of the car and thereby the amount of air pressed below the car. Sometimes a diffuser is used to let the wheel-casing also pump down the pressure below the car. Many small engine-exhausts in the back also help pumping. The exhaust from the engine compartment in the underbody can blows the air outwards by means of convergent nozzles, which reduce the pressure from the high pressure in the compartment to the low pressure below the car (the nozzle is the inverse of the diffuser).

A diffuser, in an automotive context, is usually a shaped section of the car underbody which improves the car's aerodynamic properties by enhancing the transition between the high-velocity airflow underneath the car and the much slower freestream airflow of the ambient atmosphere. It works by providing a space for the underbody airflow to decelerate and expand so that the boundary between the car's airflow and "external" airflow is less turbulent, and it also provides a degree of "wake infill" (the wake being a turbulent area of low pressure that is caused by the passage of the vehicle through the air; this can cause pressure drag).

As the air enters towards the front of the car it accelerates and reduces pressure. There is a second suction peak at the transition of the flat bottom and diffuser. The diffuser then eases this "high velocity" air back to normal velocity and also helps fill in the area behind the race car making the whole underbody a more efficient downforce producing device by reducing drag on the car and increasing downforce.

Bernoulli's principle & flaps on a wing yar? :)

ACTIVE AERODYNAMICS is something that has been around for quite a while...

ë Mitsubishi GTO/300GT had some of é most complex aerodynamic systems running - everything from 'front lip to é rear spoiler was electronically controlled to give optimum grip & stabilty using aerodynamics in é fly

IPB Image

The basic premise behind the spoilers, diffusers etc is to reduce the lift generated by your car.

Due to the shape of most cars, when moving, the air travelling above the car and underneath it, have different speeds. The air travelling over the top moves faster as it has to cover more distance, and the air travelling underneath your car travels slower relative to the air speed over your roof. this causes the top side of your car to have a lower pressure than the undercarrige, causing lift. your car essentially becomes a wing.

Hay gooood stuff KALUZ- / sharkster Thanks a lot for the full info.........

Cheers

Edited by mazdaspeed

Good info kaluz etc...

Would it be best for a car to have both the spoiler and the diffuser or just a single one of them alone? have both would def increase the car "stickiness" to the road and affect its top speed negatively me think which a high quality aero designed diffuser/spoiler would definitely give the car good grips at high-speeds and quite unlikely to affect the top speed...

lately.. have been seen quite a number of cars with both the diffuser and the spoiler being attached.. spoiler gives a look factor though.. which would give better performance oerall?

Zz

lately.. have been seen quite a number of cars with both the diffuser and the spoiler being attached..

oddly enough two cars that immediately come to mind are AWD cars in é form of é EVI IX & Skyline GTR34

any reason for this?? :huh:

oddly enough two cars that immediately come to mind are AWD cars in é form of é EVI IX & Skyline GTR34

any reason for this?? :huh:

i gues its the total of inverted force applied by both these addons which makes such monsters stick to the road maybe.. speaking of EVO IX i remember seeing one too.. both with the dif and spoiler.. how does the diffuser contribute to added stability?

Zz

While we are in the subject of body styling... I saw this modified 92-94 model Cynos in front of Trans Asia today.

This guy seems to have found projectors for the Cynos (attn: Fuzzo). I was searching for a pair and was un-successful in finding them. Either that or he has inserted civic projectors to the Cynos :D

IPB Image

IPB Image

While we are in the subject of body styling... I saw this modified 92-94 model Cynos in front of Trans Asia today.

This guy seems to have found projectors for the Cynos (attn: Fuzzo). I was searching for a pair and was un-successful in finding them. Either that or he has inserted civic projectors to the Cynos :D

IPB Image

IPB Image

Honda Projectors, im guessing..

IPB Image

These Cynos users... :rolleyes: I think this car should have been better off with the stock headlamps

yeah the lights are quite a decent job IMO but ur 100% right bro - the stickers have got to go!!!!

....hmmm wut if it were gun metal colour? :)

no no, have you seen Memphi's Cynos? Its a lovely car. Good condtion . i like that color

IPB Image

IPB Image

I saw this car yesterday back has rx-8 lights , IMO it is a disgrace to call a cynos, ( maybe it is just me :D )

those are definitely eg8 headlights...