• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ebay Good Or Bad?

miniace

Question

Yes Mini Mix results, if u want the ship the stuff directly to Sri Lanka i dnt think its a gud idea, bt if u pay and ship to Usa Address its not bad bt when buying stuff make sure its orignal product cus most products on Ebay are Fake Mostly, Intercoolers, Turbos, BOV,

Bt the best way is to give the link u want to buy to ur friend or relation live in USA, then its bit easy & secure

I have had one transaction go bad out of about 35. So, its not bad if you bid smart. If anything sounds too good to be tru, it probably is. Do your research elsewhere and then go look for it on ebay. also go thru and check feedback and rating, dont just look in the 1st page..

I look at it like buying stuff at panchikawatte or malwatte Rd; buyer beware!

Edited by dhp

Mine two of six gone bad! Still the ratio is cautious and bad for me.

I've had 100% good transactions. But like the watch you have to do research before hand. I've bought all sorts of things on ebay, I even bought a car on ebay about 4 years ago. It still works great.

I've had 100% good transactions. But like the watch you have to do research before hand. I've bought all sorts of things on ebay, I even bought a car on ebay about 4 years ago. No Problems

I even bought a car on ebay about 4 years ago. No Problems

I bought a Vigor in Dec 02 almost 4 years ago on ebay too. I am trying to sell it now (not on ebay tho)

Guys what are your views on Ebay purchases and personnel experiences? For me its mixed results. My purchases went wrong twice and Im bit careful now.

I can vouch for the fact that E bay is quite addictive ….

I’ve not bought anything or sold anything here in SL but when I was in UK this was one of my favorite pastimes…. I;ve earned handy sum too and it was a lovely experience…..

Keeping in mind that there are fraudsters and you just need to go by the old saying :” if it’s too good to be true- then there’s a catch” Paypal have been extremely helpful helped out on more than 1 ocation…

All I know is that the shipping charges to SL an the local post is pathetic hence have not bothered doing anything online….. I really miss e-bay :(

The prices and the stuff will look very tempting, but its a risk, what if the goods were damaged?

you can request insc. also paypal provides protection in case item was not as described in auction. I wouldn't ship anything to SL either.

Totally agree with dhp :)

However i have shipped all my stuff to SL out of no other choice since i live here :P

Only one deal went bad even when the seller had 100% feedback and lots of that also. Dude got caught by sending me a photoshopped scan image of the shipping invoice... He never shipped it and provided false docs :) Since i also know a bit of photoshop...i sent him the same invoice...edited with different info just for laughs :lol:

Dude got banned and i managed to get 75% of the sale value from ebay :)

Best pat was they sent me to 75% checks and i cashed them both :lol: Made a 50% profit for all my troubles for about 6 months while the case was getting dragged by ebay....

I mostly by offshore fishing tackle....rods and stuff. most of them are heavy packs :) Except for that once incident....i've got great deals...made friends and loving it :)

important thing is to "watch" simillar "items" for about a week or two to get the rough price... use www.auctionsniper.com if you have to :violent-smiley-030:

and very importantly...read feedbacks of the seller for at least 20-30 pages if they have that much :)

Totally agree with dhp :)

and very importantly...read feedbacks of the seller for at least 20-30 pages if they have that much :)

Yes I agree.....

Feedback helps a lot & give very good insight to the kind of person you are dealing with. Take care on new buyers as well as sellers..... then the Nigeria scam.... or Africa - KEEP CLEAR of sellers as well as bidders....( No offence meat to the country/region bt there are lot of frauds happening – paypal usually advices on this)

Well little bit of junk sold :D but mainly sold off the stuff I bought from shops that were closing down ( New Stuff) I really wish we had a system like that here in SL……

:mellow:

I buy most of the stuff for my mini's thru ebay. but ofcouse i bring it down thru third country and so far I'm happy with all my purchase & also has come to know some good honest sellars. :)

BTW, i use ARAMEX and they have a service called "SHOP & SHIP" which gives you a UK & USA address (like a mail box) they collect all pkgs and send twice a week to my third country. they have this service to SL too.

if any body using this service in SL, please share your experience. (price & custom duty)

if you're selling, also beware of the scam of sending more money than you ask and then asking you to send a refund (done mostly on autotrader and cars.com). fr eg, u ask for 20K, they say they have a check made out for 22k and ask u to send back the 2K balance. only the 22K check is a good-fake. It might clear the local bank before it gets stopped by a larger clearing house. if u sent the refund out then u just got owned for 2K :)

OT- there was a story on the news this morning. A woman evicted her non paying tenants to remodel her home. After the remodel was done, somone placed an ad on craigslist saying take whatever you want for free, and ppl did. Gutted and trashed the entire place....I am guessing its the evicted tenants who placed the ad. They even took the kitchen sink :D

Ebay has been hit by loads of scammers recently.. there have even been the situation where a merchant in ebay who has a repo of bout 99.5% getting the cash for bout 500 odd goods he has put for sale and suddenly vanishing into thin air.. it might be the lack of protection in ebay or there screwed policies which allowed them to do such stuff..

anyways.. purchasing from ebay is now quite risky.. I have got some products shipped down here to SL without no probz and that was last year.. and that too via me pal... Read feedback, keep constant contact with the seller and use ya common sense when purchasing.. if its too good to be true then it probably isnt true...

Zz

Ebay has been hit by loads of scammers recently.. there have even been the situation where a merchant in ebay who has a repo of bout 99.5% getting the cash for bout 500 odd goods he has put for sale and suddenly vanishing into thin air.. it might be the lack of protection in ebay or there screwed policies which allowed them to do such stuff..

anyways.. purchasing from ebay is now quite risky.. I have got some products shipped down here to SL without no probz and that was last year.. and that too via me pal... Read feedback, keep constant contact with the seller and use ya common sense when purchasing.. if its too good to be true then it probably isnt true...

Zz

but you got your header from ebay-rember!!

Zz

@ Hola - which is why i said i have got some products shipped down dude :)

Zz

Hi,

I have experience with e-bay buying and direct ship to sri lanka. Direct ship to sri lanka through USPS Global Express mail is safe and very fast. It only takes 3 or 4 days to arrive to sri lanka. I used USPS Global Express mail service 3 times to ship Olympus Cameras to sri lanka. But u have to pay custom Tax here 4 your imports items. ;)

even EMS is fast but you get landed for taxes since they tend to check those speedy shipped packs a little more...

I buy lots of fishing tackle from ebay and ship them un-insured and price marked down... fake invoices etc etc

Most of the time the customs don't check it...unless it's oversized or heavy...

Import taxes are horrible... I got almost 1/2 of the value of the item taxed :violent-smiley-030:

Onemore thing... Just noticed that FINALLY paypal is available for sri lanka :alc:

All these days i struggled with Bidpay, mailed US$ and direct CC

something good for a change :D

Hi,

I have experience with e-bay buying and direct ship to sri lanka. Direct ship to sri lanka through USPS Global Express mail is safe and very fast. It only takes 3 or 4 days to arrive to sri lanka. I used USPS Global Express mail service 3 times to ship Olympus Cameras to sri lanka. But u have to pay custom Tax here 4 your imports items. ;)

I'm quite surprised to see a thread on eBay here.. had no idea so many people here used it.

Well I've been using ebay since 2001 and have never had a major problem with them.

It's like this - ebay is an auctionplace - so as such, you are dealing with people - individuals who you trade with. so to answer the question.. eBay is fine - you just have to be careful who you deal with.

So far everything I ever purchased via ebay arrived fine..

Anyway, I have a few tips/suggestions:

1. Don't bother shipping to Sri Lanka. Just get someone in US to ship it to you. This is because most merchants dont offer international shipping and are suspicious of it (due to 419 scams).

2. Before you buy/sell, see feedback, and buy wisely, from people with positive feedback.

3. After buying your product, depending on size/value you can easily ship it here via FedEx, UPS, or even good old USPS (who are quite economical and reliable by the way).

Hope ebay someday have a local version for Sri Lanka (like how they bought Bazee and made ebay india). would be nice to be able to trade here.

Edited by Saturn