• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Low Performance With Ac

Sajith

Hi guys,

My ride is a 90 single carb grand civic. I'm using 14" 185/65 tyres & a beat muffer fixed by TOKIMO.

Whn am riding it with AC the performance getting very low. But without AC it's ok(Up to my knoweldge). Is this a normal situation since it's an old carb model??

Other thng is the fuel. It's only doing 8kmpl without AC also. Since am living near to Gampaha there is nt much traffic also. So It should do more than that neda??

So honda experts I need ur help on these issues..

Thx..

Sajith.

Hi guys,

My ride is a 90 single carb grand civic. I'm using 14" 185/65 tyres & a beat muffer fixed by TOKIMO.

Whn am riding it with AC the performance getting very low. But without AC it's ok(Up to my knoweldge). Is this a normal situation since it's an old carb model??

Other thng is the fuel. It's only doing 8kmpl without AC also. Since am living near to Gampaha there is nt much traffic also. So It should do more than that neda??

Thx..

Sajith.

hi sajith, i have da same car but '88 model....this is perfectly normal...nothin 2 worry...pretty gud considerin u have a beat muffler as well...

hi sajith, i have da same car but '88 model....this is perfectly normal...nothin 2 worry...pretty gud considerin u have a beat muffler as well...

yep i agree... any car with the AC swithced on will requier more power... causing more fuel to be burned

Hi guys,

Thx..

Sajith.

Thats normal

yep i agree... any car with the AC swithced on will requier more power... causing more fuel to be burned

cant agree for that. I dont see a rev change hen i swicth on my AC

Ok guys..thx for your cooperation. So I should try to settle my budget for a VTEC soon :) Then i can run fast while using AC.

Hola I also heard more fuel is burning when we switch on da AC & everybody who's askin abt kmpl also asking weather AC on or Off. Isn't it??

Basically the A/C runs off the engine power so as you switch on the AC a certain amount of power is lost thus the engine has to work a bit harder to cover up for the loss thus resulting in reduced fuel efficiency. Witnessed it myself when going in A/C, i switch it off when needing some quick acceleration..

the easiest way to "feel" this is to race the engine when the A/C is on and in the process suddenly off it, ya could feel a small surge.. i think there are pulleys which would help prevent this loss.. any experts on this matter?

Zz

Hi guys,

Thx..

Sajith.

whats your engine machan. Is it D16B?

I also live closer to gampaha and have a twin carb EG8(D15B)-1.5L. When properly tuned, it does 11 - 11.5 km to the litre with AC. recently went to newara eliya it did 8-9 km to the litre with 5 passengers in the car.being a twin carb this isnt too bad.

Earlier i had a single carb EG8 and it was having the same problems as your grand civic. after further inspections my machanic said that the previous owner had used it on gas. take the car for an engine tune up then the machanic would tell you whats wrong. i am quite sure that your car should do more than 10 or 11 if you tune it properly.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay machan. I donno the engine type correctly. Where we can find it??

I'm living near to Naiwala junction machan. Where are u living?

I'm usually tunning the car by Upul in Malabe.Who's ur mechanic machan? Can I hv any contact details..

As ur words, It seems using a dual carb EG8 won't hurt our pocket.I'm also thinking to go 4 EG8. So good news for me also :)

Sorry for the delay machan. I donno the engine type correctly. Where we can find it??

I'm usually tunning the car by Upul in Malabe.Who's ur mechanic machan? Can I hv any contact details..

As ur words, It seems using a dual carb EG8 won't hurt our pocket.I'm also thinking to go 4 EG8. So good news for me also :)

Hi,

I agree with Nim, cos i had a 90 single carb grand civic with D15B engine n it did about 11 per litre. did u check your engine for under compression? When u switch on the A/C if u see a dramatic reduction in power its a sure sign of engine problem. Its true for poor mileage also. U can find your engine model on the engine block. also check if the A/C compressor is the original than a modified 1 from a different car. D15B should produce about 90BHP so a/c does not make much of a difference if the engine is in good tune. good luck..

Why haven't you looked at the option of converting your Grand Civic with a EFI-VTEC motor, if you're happy with every thing else with this car I think you should look at this option cos in the least you'll have a better power to weight ratio than any EG/EK sedan can offer.

cant agree for that. I dont see a rev change hen i swicth on my AC

Your engine must have an idle up which increases the RPM just as the A/C is switched on, so you don't notice a difference.. or it's freakishly powerful so the AC has no impact :)?

Hi guys,

Thx..

Sajith.

Car's with carb's tend to do poorly if the engine hasn't been tuned right - get a professional to do a 'tuneup' which may include replacing plugs/wiring and checking engine timing.. (if it is significantly advanced or retarded you would be loosing power and using more fuel)..

Also, how you drive has a very big impact on fuel consumption. Jackrabbit starts and revving too low or too high under load can adversely affect fuel consumption.

You might get a significant benefit by switching to better plugs and setting your mixture in your carb a bit leaner. (See your tailpipe, if it has a lot of black soot and you get a smell of unburnt gasoline when you drive, the mixture could be too rich.)

Most vehicles here get around 8 - 10 km/l AFAIK.

@forum members: which vehicles are capable of performing in the 16 - 20+++km/l range in city driving in colombo? I'm told the latest Corolla and Diesel BMW's operate in this range?...

Edited by Saturn

Your engine must have an idle up which increases the RPM just as the A/C is switched on, so you don't notice a difference.. or it's freakishly powerful so the AC has no impact :) ?

Car's with carb's tend to do poorly if the engine hasn't been tuned right - get a professional to do a 'tuneup' which may include replacing plugs/wiring and checking engine timing.. (if it is significantly advanced or retarded you would be loosing power and using more fuel)..

Also, how you drive has a very big impact on fuel consumption. Jackrabbit starts and revving too low or too high under load can adversely affect fuel consumption.

You might get a significant benefit by switching to better plugs and setting your mixture in your carb a bit leaner. (See your tailpipe, if it has a lot of black soot and you get a smell of unburnt gasoline when you drive, the mixture could be too rich.)

Most vehicles here get around 8 - 10 km/l AFAIK.

@forum members: which vehicles are capable of performing in the 16 - 20+++km/l range in city driving in colombo? I'm told the latest Corolla and Diesel BMW's operate in this range?...

i can aggree wit dat.....abt da corolla atleast...ma dad's car (121) is freakishly econ on petrol.......gud pick up as wel...

@ Zakie..How much will it cost for me to get this convertion ??

What else i can do to get the performence up with fuel efficiency..

Edited by Sajith

The min requirement for the conversion would be: EFI fuel tank with pump, SOHC VTEC head with dizzy, intake / exhaust manifolds, wire harness and a chipped ecu. This combo would give you the great mini swap assuming the present block is in good shape.

Sorry for the delay machan. using the dual carb wouldnt hurt your pocket that much machan but the thing is tuning is bit difficult. send a mail to my email address([email protected]) machan then ill give you the contact details. Fuel efficiency of your car isn't very good macahan because under normal driving conditions my twin carb does more than 10km with A/C on if the engine is properly tuned.

You can find the engine number very easily. It's marked on the engine block left to the exhaust manifold. Very easy to find. Or look in the vehicle registration papers that you get from the RMV. But machan i suggest you look on the engine block because if a previous owners changed the engine, the engine number on the papers would be different from the one on the engine block.

IF you are buying a EG8 try to buy a VTEC because you'll get better fuel economy and less trouble. But to be honest i prefer the twin carb to the VTEC. If you have any ideas to do performance modifications in future then go for the VTEC. You'll be able to find a lot of performance parts for that. If possible find a non modified VTEC.

IF you go for the single carb it would be cheaper to buy and it would also be economical to run than a twin carb. Because machan tuning a single carb engine is fairly easy and parts for the carb(repair kit) is also cheaper(abt 3500) than twin carb parts. And the other thing is that Honda dealers(stafford motors) dont have any twin carb parts. but they have all the parts for single carbs.

I wouldnt recommend you to change the engine to a EFI one because the cost would be very high. You'll have to buy the engine-a vtec would cost you about 50000. And then you'll have to buy an ECU(from tech motors you can get a new one for about 40000 and a used one would cost about 20000) and other required parts such as wire harnesses,sensors, you may have to change or modify the exhaust system because your current system my not be able to acommodate the O2 sensors that come for EFI cars.

send me a mail machan then ill give you the contact details of my machanic.He is the who does all the tuning work on my car. He charges about 1200 and he has all the equipment needed to do a proper engine tune up. After all this you'll be able to decide what to do...........