• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Agents Ripping Off Permit Holders?

VWvortex

Just checked with Carplan on the cost of a Sorento to be brought down on a permit. According to the rep i spoke to it will cost around 4 Mill !!!!

This amount seems to consist of a huge hidden charge, probably all commision for the agents.

This is what you call DAY LIGHT ROBBERY!

Do you guys think Brand new is better than recon ones? But my strong opinion is JDM's are 1000% better than the export models. When you ask the agents about this they tell those cars are made to suit our contry roads and climate. BULLSHIT!!! There are hundreds of thousand cars are running in the country and if you comparfe the same age Brand new imported cars and Recon cars you will find the difference and its quality. After three years of usage you will find all brand new imported cars are giving all sorts of noices after running in our country roads. Mechs remove the cathalitic converter or the water fan saying it doesn't suit our climate :D Then why do they fix it to the export models?

Its nothin other than our bad emmissions and dirty air or the jumbo sized pot holes and the maintainance of our beloved users. Our guys use the cheap quality replacements like filters and spares.

Finally if I bring to you guys notice, export models are not ment for our road conditions or enviroment!! It is made for our budget conditions :D Hence it is very cheap to buy a cheaply made car. JDMs are made for the highest quality, in other words they use the very best quality even if it is made in China.

Japs use the best and send out the rest, we Sri Lankan's send the best tea out and consume the dust!!! Am I right?

When it comes to European vehicles, I have seen recon imports deteriorate faster than brand new imports.

probably maybe as the brand new ones are more suited to the country they are sent to. Eg. fiat punto's i ve seen in uk got a smaller rim size than the ones in SL. probably due to the road conditions and stuff. So maybe the european vehicles do send a proper vehicle when exporting :P

Do you guys think Brand new is better than recon ones? But my strong opinion is JDM's are 1000% better than the export models. When you ask the agents about this they tell those cars are made to suit our contry roads and climate. BULLSHIT!!! There are hundreds of thousand cars are running in the country and if you comparfe the same age Brand new imported cars and Recon cars you will find the difference and its quality. After three years of usage you will find all brand new imported cars are giving all sorts of noices after running in our country roads. Mechs remove the cathalitic converter or the water fan saying it doesn't suit our climate :D Then why do they fix it to the export models?

Its nothin other than our bad emmissions and dirty air or the jumbo sized pot holes and the maintainance of our beloved users. Our guys use the cheap quality replacements like filters and spares.

Finally if I bring to you guys notice, export models are not ment for our road conditions or enviroment!! It is made for our budget conditions :D Hence it is very cheap to buy a cheaply made car. JDMs are made for the highest quality, in other words they use the very best quality even if it is made in China.

Japs use the best and send out the rest, we Sri Lankan's send the best tea out and consume the dust!!! Am I right?

i agree with u... JDMs are much much better than brandnew ones here in sri lanka... i dont know about eropean ones...

When it comes to European vehicles, I have seen recon imports deteriorate faster than brand new imports.

You are correct. Carmart advised my brother not to buy any Peugoet recon's which are from UK coz they do not suit the envirnment in SL.

I also prefer JDM's than the brand new.

Thats a norm in manufactering. Export quality is always better. It even goes for food and apperel too

When it comes to JDM's & Export models, JDMs' defiantly have an edge.

Hence your Signature says that as well... :P

While JDM cars are better, i think its only because they have options and trim levels not available if you try and get the vehicle through the agents....Else the quality we speak of is probably the same.

European brands however, are quite different...in the case of the 406, the UK reg cars were made in the UK, compared to what the agents brought,

which were French. And a lot of the European manufacturers are moving production to East Europe, for the logical savings in labour costs...VW, Skoda, SEAT, Citroen/Peugeot have already done so.

But how can anyone forget the first W124 Mercs that came from India? Visually, those cars were immediately identifiable as something "not right"...they just looked sub-par.

But what most people don't know now, is that the current Merc E Class and C class cars are brought from India and South Africa by the agents. And you really can't tell that its any different.

All the right-hand drive versions of the newly released C-Class will be made in South Africa...so there's no choice this time around.

So its something we'll have to get accustomed to. Even toyota is starting to move some of its production out of japan- eg. Hilux, Fortunner, Vios, Corolla.

While JDM cars are better, i think its only because they have options and trim levels not available if you try and get the vehicle through the agents....Else the quality we speak of is probably the same.

Whilst we are off topic has anyone noticed the difference in the long run when using Singapore models as opposed to JDM's? Of course besides the fact that the Singapore ones are more loaded with stuff like leather seats, alloys etc but in the long run?

Trying to figure this out because an unregistered JDM is generally more than a Singapore export, yet the Singapore model has more options. Anyone noticed any difference in quality especially after a few years of hard driving?

JDMs do have the disadvantage of their systems being labled in Japanese. I was in a Bluebird recently where even the A/C was operated thru a touch screen panel in the dash. When that thing starts talkin in Japanese when u get in the car, u wonder what the heck is going on. Friend was having some trouble with his March coz the sat nav wouldn't shut up and its in Japanese, so good luck figuring it out :D

JDMs do have the disadvantage of their systems being labled in Japanese. I was in a Bluebird recently where even the A/C was operated thru a touch screen panel in the dash. When that thing starts talkin in Japanese when u get in the car, u wonder what the heck is going on. Friend was having some trouble with his March coz the sat nav wouldn't shut up and its in Japanese, so good luck figuring it out :D

Ha ha tell me about it Peri, I have a friend of mine who speaks fluent Japanese (as he studied in Japan) and I once got him down to write down in English everything that was on the fuse bx etc which is in Japanese,

but there are other problems with JDM's this might not be a common problem, but my car has a smaller condenser and a radiator than other models manufactured alongside it mostly because the model I have was never exported out of Japan. And thus in Sri Lankan weather conditions the AC sometimes has trouble keeping the car cool, and the engine runs a bit hot though has never gone dangerously high.

true JDM's hav better trim levels than especially models exported to third world countries like ours, but cars generally need to be conditioned to the climate they are intended to run in and JDM's as the name suggests are intended to run in japan.

I guess even the high number of faliures on Oxygen sensors etc certain models have had (blamed on the fuel impurities in SL mostly sulphur) can be blamed on the JDM factor. I mean for example if all those models were only available in export trim through the agents, if the damn things started failing, they would need to be replaced under the warranties that those cars came with, and they would be replaced with ones which suite our country (or a recall would have been in place), hypothetically speaking of course,

The Don

Yeah Peri, I have the same problem with the TZ. Half the controls are in Jap and the radio only runs up to 90FM. Can't change the system since the A/C, Radio and CD controls are all on the touch screen.

In regard to Japanese cars, the JDM cars come with softer suspension and higher spec that was ordered by the original owner and we don't end up paying for the extras unless the local dealer tries a fast one.

The condition of the car depends on the usage really. You see grades such as 'Rent-A-Car' which have run in fleets with high mileages ranging from 75k upwards which are not in mint unless locally 're-conditioned' and the mileage clocked down usually to around 27k. But on average, most JDM come after decent use compared to the Singapore models. Most which seems to have run very high mileages.

The Singapore versions although high in spec and usually 1600cc instead of the usual 1500cc (i.e. The Singapore Mazda 323 comes with more Chrome and the stiff suspension gives it a fuller look over the 'sagging' looking JDM models). The problem for me is that the suspension is stiff on the Sing spec as with most of the brandnew imports (i.e. Mazda 3) which makes the ride bumpier (and also sportier). The fake leather doesn't do much for the comfort and feel either. Most Sing versions seems to have run a lot as well.

In the case of Euro cars. The Brandnew imports seem to do better with apparently tropicalised fittings, improved cooling and electrical systems. Again I hate it when the chuck in the 'rough road package' with firm suspension into the tropical versions without much choice.

As we are now OT. Most of the navigation systems which we have in our cars (which we pay 50,000more for the price) is all japanease, volume to controle touch buttons.

Wow, what a fascinating statement. The discovery of the year …. Except the three posts before already mentioned it.

And u’d have to be a damn fool to pay 50k extra for a car with sat nav, coz we can’t use it here.

That's basically because of the difference in climate between europe and sri lanka. Brand new european cars are usually tropicalised before importing here. During this process, components made out of materials which would deteriorate due to our climate are replaced with ones which would withstand the heat better. (Plastics, leather, rubber etc) Cooling systems and Air conditioning systems are also upgraded. Suspension set up is also changed to suit our roads. Fuel systems are modified to suit our petrol.

All that said, at times the tropicalisation done on the brand new cars is not enough. Occasionally things start to go wrong with these things just after the warranty period expires......(Interior trim, hood linings, fuel pumps, etc)

Edited by nira74

Wow, what a fascinating statement. The discovery of the year …. Except the three posts before already mentioned it.

And u’d have to be a damn fool to pay 50k extra for a car with sat nav, coz we can’t use it here.

:rolleyes: I never fancyd a navigator but walk into a car sale and ask around. If the car comes with a navigation its usualy 30k to 50k more expensive. Specialy on JDM Civics and Pajero IO. And even when the car is on resale the owners make it a point to mention "With Navigator". Sad part is that all of these panels are mostly in Jap

Ha ha tell me about it Peri, I have a friend of mine who speaks fluent Japanese (as he studied in Japan) and I once got him down to write down in English everything that was on the fuse bx etc which is in Japanese,

but there are other problems with JDM's this might not be a common problem, but my car has a smaller condenser and a radiator than other models manufactured alongside it mostly because the model I have was never exported out of Japan. And thus in Sri Lankan weather conditions the AC sometimes has trouble keeping the car cool, and the engine runs a bit hot though has never gone dangerously high.

true JDM's hav better trim levels than especially models exported to third world countries like ours, but cars generally need to be conditioned to the climate they are intended to run in and JDM's as the name suggests are intended to run in japan.

I guess even the high number of faliures on Oxygen sensors etc certain models have had (blamed on the fuel impurities in SL mostly sulphur) can be blamed on the JDM factor. I mean for example if all those models were only available in export trim through the agents, if the damn things started failing, they would need to be replaced under the warranties that those cars came with, and they would be replaced with ones which suite our country (or a recall would have been in place), hypothetically speaking of course,

The Don

Hey Don,

What a good news. Machan recently I bought a Suzuki Aerio. I have the use manual and service records and all other stuffs. But all are in Jap. I tryied to find the English version from web. But not available. May be Aerio is a truly JDM. Now I am looking for someone to help me understand the manual and other details in Jap.

Is it possible for your friend to help me. At least the most important parts to get translated.

Great help. :D

Many Thanks

Thilak

:rolleyes: I never fancyd a navigator but walk into a car sale and ask around. If the car comes with a navigation its usualy 30k to 50k more expensive. Specialy on JDM Civics and Pajero IO. And even when the car is on resale the owners make it a point to mention "With Navigator". Sad part is that all of these panels are mostly in Jap

I have to agree with Hola, vehicles with sat/nav has a higher CIF value and extra duty charge hence they have slightly high market price

I have to agree with Hola, vehicles with sat/nav has a higher CIF value and extra duty charge hence they have slightly high market price

bro, the funny part is that there are recon navigator sets for mine and other models priced from 20,000 to 35,000. What some do is convert the screen to have AV input then replace the CD reader lence with VCD reading lence and convert to a on dash TV/VCD player

Me too agree here .. I've seen lot of UK domestic Pugs imported 'n then start giving troubles..even the dash 'n interior start to crack for the tropical climate.. but with the export model its hard in the suspension and interior withstand against the hot climate and not to mention the air conditioner comes a bit stronger than domestic