• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mercedes W124

Supra_Natural

Hi guys

The Merc W124 is a Model i've always liked a lot, and i must say the international reputation that model has for solidity is near legendary... i know that they arent exactly the last word in driving pleasure, but they are very comfortable cars, and they aren't THAT bad to drive either.

we're Thinking of getting rid of the 406, and in that price bracket the w124 is one of the cars that appeals... sure its older, and nowhere near as fun to drive, but apart from that what do you think?

id appreciate it if you could answer these questions..

1) what year are the last German manufactured cars thaat are in SL? i'd prefer the german car to the indian

version...

2) whats the fuel Consumption Like?

3) What is the current market value for a petrol model (200/220 etc)

4) How are the running costs?

5) and what is the ideal spec? I was thinking of a late e220 as the optimum choice..

6) last, are there any problems this model has?

I'd appreciate your views...

Cheers

S_N

A page you might find useful

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index...;p_model=%20242

Can I ask Supra the exact specs and model of of your 406 out of curiosity, and how much do you estimate its worth thesedays ?

Also what is the price bracket you refer to about W124's

The Mercs are a class apart when it comes to build quality,

The Don

A page you might find useful

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index...;p_model=%20242

Can I ask Supra the exact specs and model of of your 406 out of curiosity, and how much do you estimate its worth thesedays ?

Also what is the price bracket you refer to about W124's

The Mercs are a class apart when it comes to build quality,

The Don

thanks for the link mate...

sure.. ts a 2000 Model D9, (UK Spec) 1.8 GLX, registered here in about 2005-ish... the going rate is anywhere between 1.9-2.1 million.. depending on condition etc... ours is in fairly good nick..

the price bracket i mentioned was the approximate value of the 406 machan... lets take it as abt 2-3 million though,,,

thanks for the link mate...

sure.. ts a 2000 Model D9, (UK Spec) 1.8 GLX, registered here in about 2005-ish... the going rate is anywhere between 1.9-2.1 million.. depending on condition etc... ours is in fairly good nick..

the price bracket i mentioned was the approximate value of the 406 machan... lets take it as abt 2-3 million though,,,

Can I ask what don't you like about the India W124 ? I remember milindu saying on another thread that they are quite good value for money as you can get a relatively new merc for a reasonable price, and that most of the parts were made in Germany anyway ...

Can I ask what don't you like about the India W124 ? I remember milindu saying on another thread that they are quite good value for money as you can get a relatively new merc for a reasonable price, and that most of the parts were made in Germany anyway ...

yeah machan, they ARE good value.. but they came with a suspension set up that was quite different to th euro cars, with raised ride height, whch was good for crap roads but as you can imagine, was detrimental to the handling,,,, plus, the extra height makes them look rather odd...

yeah machan, they ARE good value.. but they came with a suspension set up that was quite different to th euro cars, with raised ride height, whch was good for crap roads but as you can imagine, was detrimental to the handling,,,, plus, the extra height makes them look rather odd...

ha ha well though it might look a tee bit odd, you might thank the extra height one of these days, I remember a couple of years back a friend of mine used to drive around in a C200 Diesel with an AMG body kit (very good knick only 25K miles on it since new) but when packed with 5 people and going over the bumps in front of Colombo University, the bumps would always scrape the bottom, and I must tell you though the car was not mine, I found this a heart breaking experience ..............

This friend's family also owned an older W124 E220 if I remember correctly, wonderful car, very high mileage, but still sport on apart from a bit of bearing noise from the back wheels ha ha ha !

This is my personnel opinion, I have seen a lot of UK import Mercs in SL with cloth seats, I simply cannot understand why you would go for a Merc (in SL where they are luxury cars) and not go for leather !, and as GTAM mentioned in another post the leather on the German's and the Italians in particular are a class apart, no match for the stuff you find on the Singapore imports. Nice hard comfy seats !.

My dad owned a diesel W124 in early 90s and never had a single technical problem.It was regd 32-678* in Burg Red.We clocked first 60-70K and its great fun driving that.

Parts are now reletively cheap.Most vital parts are available very cheaply with other retail dealers.Avin** Motors,Panapi*** etc.

I personally prefer a W124 (not that I dont like 406s).Recently checked a 18- W124 and owner asked 1.85M.

My dad owned a diesel W124 in early 90s and never had a single technical problem.It was regd 32-678* in Burg Red.We clocked first 60-70K and its great fun driving that.

Parts are now reletively cheap.Most vital parts are available very cheaply with other retail dealers.Avin** Motors,Panapi*** etc.

I personally prefer a W124 (not that I dont like 406s).Recently checked a 18- W124 and owner asked 1.85M.

Thanks miniace

my dad used a facelifted 124 diesel for a short while as well some time ago, a friend borrowed his vehicle and gave it to him... it was a 200 diesel so it was dog slow... but apart from that it was a very nice car... and felt as solid as a bank vault...

Im looking for as late a car as possible... and it has to be fairly low mileage as well, a 300 or 301 plate if possible, and preferably petrol

Thanks miniace

my dad used a facelifted 124 diesel for a short while as well some time ago, a friend borrowed his vehicle and gave it to him... it was a 200 diesel so it was dog slow... but apart from that it was a very nice car... and felt as solid as a bank vault...

Im looking for as late a car as possible... and it has to be fairly low mileage as well, a 300 or 301 plate if possible, and preferably petrol

Supra any reason why you prefer petrol to Diesel ? Is it mostly because of the expected high mileage on the Diesels or the Sri Lankan preference for the 2L diesel engines which might be a bit sluggish on such a heavy car ?

The Don

Hey

If you are looking for a good 124 ask around at D*M*'s they will know which cars have had a hard life and which are the better ones. I know some ppl there at the service dep. E mail me sometime i can give you some contacts.