• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Suspendtion Mod For Cars

KC2626

Question

24 answers to this question

What sort of modifications you have planned?

I need to change the sys to cope in SL road conditions.. "there's lot of roll when driven in the most damage road net work in the world...." :violent-smiley-030:

Seriously.... man i need to smooth my ride, i Drive a Nissan Primera HP12.. as you know the Nissan systems are not the best for Sri Lanka.. lot of roll... my car can handle corners great but when its come to non carpeted/ gravel roads its a dissaster.. so much shake and jerks cant even do 40 when my friend’s Reno fly at around 100 effortless...

Any one who can help me... greatly appreciated ...

I need to change the sys to cope in SL road conditions.. "there's lot of roll when driven in the most damage road net work in the world...." :violent-smiley-030:

Seriously.... man i need to smooth my ride, i Drive a Nissan Primera HP12.. as you know the Nissan systems are not the best for Sri Lanka.. lot of roll... my car can handle corners great but when its come to non carpeted/ gravel roads its a dissaster.. so much shake and jerks cant even do 40 when my friend’s Reno fly at around 100 effortless...

Any one who can help me... greatly appreciated ...

Errm, firstly, what kind of primera do you own? is it a 20V? because if i remember correctly, the standard spec primera rides fairly decently on broken roads, it's the handling that is problematic (I say this because we have one at home.... a standard car)

in general mate, messing with the suspension on your car is not reccomended.... it was set up that way by the manufacturer for a reason after all.... but if you've got doubts, why not take it to the agents and get your suspension checked first, to see if there's anything wrong?

Errm, firstly, what kind of primera do you own? is it a 20V? because if i remember correctly, the standard spec primera rides fairly decently on broken roads, it's the handling that is problematic (I say this because we have one at home.... a standard car)

in general mate, messing with the suspension on your car is not reccomended.... it was set up that way by the manufacturer for a reason after all.... but if you've got doubts, why not take it to the agents and get your suspension checked first, to see if there's anything wrong?

I won a SR20VE with 6 forward gear box.. i know its little different from the std. setup, it has stiffer shocks.. and i did check with the agents ( i personally know one guy), they accept the problem.. " all primera's has a bad roll..." but nothing they can do.. its the std sys and no mods available...

btw one of my friends own the std. car with the Auto gears and he too complains the same issue ...

do you still have the originals or have you change them locally?

I won a SR20VE with 6 forward gear box.. i know its little different from the std. setup, it has stiffer shocks.. and i did check with the agents ( i personally know one guy), they accept the problem.. " all primera's has a bad roll..." but nothing they can do.. its the std sys and no mods available...

btw one of my friends own the std. car with the Auto gears and he too complains the same issue ...

do you still have the originals or have you change them locally?

ours is a Standard car, Autobox... (Non CVT), 2.0 Ltr engine, only non standard item is that it has alloys.... so yours is the 20V then... it DOES come with a different set up, and that car is WAY different from standard, although it looks similar..... but did you say you have body roll?? thats odd....

have you changed your shocks?? that COULD be the problem..

also, if i were you, i wouldn't mess with the suspension set up if you have the SR20VE, that engine is pretty powerful, so altering the suspension (unless you're going to make it lower and stiffer, but obviously thats not what you're after) is probably NOT the best idea...

btw mate, what color is your car?

IMHO you have very little options to overcome this inherent problem.Try a good set of shocks ,good quality tyres of manufacturer mentioned size,correct tyre pressure will help you out a bit.Try few different tyre pressures from 25psi to 30psi and see.

ours is a Standard car, Autobox... (Non CVT), 2.0 Ltr engine, only non standard item is that it has alloys.... so yours is the 20V then... it DOES come with a different set up, and that car is WAY different from standard, although it looks similar..... but did you say you have body roll?? thats odd....

have you changed your shocks?? that COULD be the problem..

also, if i were you, i wouldn't mess with the suspension set up if you have the SR20VE, that engine is pretty powerful, so altering the suspension (unless you're going to make it lower and stiffer, but obviously thats not what you're after) is probably NOT the best idea...

btw mate, what color is your car?

Color is Silver.. i did change the rear shocks some time a go (its the std ones not the originals) coz here they (aget or anyone i know) didnt had the HP12 specific ones. Just the TP12s..

but as far as i remember this problem was there from the beginning ...

As you said correctly i should'nt mess with the sys to compromise handling but what i m saying is cars like Reno/ Alfas has a pretty good sys which handles both... great cornering and smooth ride.. ????

IMHO you have very little options to overcome this inherent problem.Try a good set of shocks ,good quality tyres of manufacturer mentioned size,correct tyre pressure will help you out a bit.Try few different tyre pressures from 25psi to 30psi and see.

What do you mean by good set of shocks.. is there any place i can get different type of shock is SL?? coz agent and all others i know has TP12 (std. auto car) sys.. if you know any one pls let me know...

btw you are right on the tire pressure the recommended is 31 rear and 33 front but i normally run on 28, 30 which gives little bit of comfort on bad rods..

Color is Silver.. i did change the rear shocks some time a go (its the std ones not the originals) coz here they (aget or anyone i know) didnt had the HP12 specific ones. Just the TP12s..

As you said correctly i should'nt mess with the sys to compromise handling but what i m saying is cars like Reno/ Alfas has a pretty good sys which handles both... great cornering and smooth ride.. ????

hmm, well the shocks that come on the 20V ARE different to those on the standard car, so mixing original fronts with standard car rears probably isnt a good idea..... maybe you should try replacing all 4 with originals... the Agents can probably get them down for you...

as to your question about how Renaults/Alfas ride AND handle, well the answer is that they have been set up for euro roads, where the conditions are somewhat different from japan.... which is where the 20V has been set up for... Anyway euro cars are better in general at providing a ride/handling compromise than the japs.... in Most jap cars you can either have a very comfy ride OR excellent handling.... its rare to get both.

So if what you're looking for is a car that offers the ride/handling ability of a Renault or Alfa.... then the only thing you can do is ditch the 20V and buy a Renault or an alfa.....

Seriously though mate.... you need to figure out exactly what you want from your car....what's priority, ride or handling?? or do you need a combination of both...

You have body roll in your HP12.... that's very odd.... Doesn’t HP12 comes with ABR’s... or is it the bumpy feeling that you get when running on not so smooth roads. Mine is a P11 with again SR20VE.... I have stiff suspension with 16”, and mine is lowered as well. I don’t feel any roll, but have the bumpy feeling. I normally punch 30psi for all. But I’m happy with the handling.

You have body roll in your HP12.... that's very odd.... Doesn’t HP12 comes with ABR’s... or is it the bumpy feeling that you get when running on not so smooth roads. Mine is a P11 with again SR20VE.... I have stiff suspension with 16”, and mine is lowered as well. I don’t feel any roll, but have the bumpy feeling. I normally punch 30psi for all. But I’m happy with the handling.

Your righ its the bumpy feeling i m refering to... btw what is ABR??

KC2626 Isn't the bumpy feeling you are talking about caused by the stiffer suspension ? The bumpy feeling you get on cars (usually sports cars) is different from body roll.

Something I can suggest but Supra would be a better expert on this than I am since I do not own a HP12 but you can try replacing the springs with standard TP12 springs (if the TP12 is the standard model as I understand it) which should fit in without too much trouble. Can obtain them recon from down Delkanda or somewhere if they've got them, cos I recon its the stiffer springs (intended to give you a sportier feel) thats causing you this problem (though I must admit mate most people do the reverse of what you are trying to do he he)

The Don

What do you mean by good set of shocks.. is there any place i can get different type of shock is SL?? coz agent and all others i know has TP12 (std. auto car) sys.. if you know any one pls let me know...

btw you are right on the tire pressure the recommended is 31 rear and 33 front but i normally run on 28, 30 which gives little bit of comfort on bad rods..

Hey KC, I don't think you can ever change your Primera to ride like a Renault. Your Primera is probably a Japanese domestic market one so the suspension is designed to cope with very smooth surfaced roads. Which means it need not cope at all. So they have very little suspension travel.

As you may already know French country roads are very poor. This is why French cars always have a great ride.

Generally European cars' suspension is better suited to our roads IMHO. And their handling is very good on rough too. That's one of the reasons that I drive an Alfa.

There's not much you can do if the inherenet design of the suspension is towards a smooth road. High profife tyres might improve the ride comfort but is likely to spoil the handling and looks.

I suspect a UK built Primera will be different tho. as the suspension would have been set up in the UK.

We had a similar experience when going on a trip to Anuradhapura. The two cars were, A Civic ES3 VTEC and a 1.8 8v 406. On the smooth straits to Puttalam, the Civic hit 170km/h (I was a passenger in the Honda), and we were told the 406 did 150km/h - the driver in 406 less of a risk taker.

Then from Puttalam to Anuradhapura the roads got rutty and while we had to slow right down the 406 dissappeared and they were waiting for us at the hotel!

KC2626 Isn't the bumpy feeling you are talking about caused by the stiffer suspension ? The bumpy feeling you get on cars (usually sports cars) is different from body roll.

Something I can suggest but Supra would be a better expert on this than I am since I do not own a HP12 but you can try replacing the springs with standard TP12 springs (if the TP12 is the standard model as I understand it) which should fit in without too much trouble. Can obtain them recon from down Delkanda or somewhere if they've got them, cos I recon its the stiffer springs (intended to give you a sportier feel) thats causing you this problem (though I must admit mate most people do the reverse of what you are trying to do he he)

The Don

It cant be the coil springs coz my mechanic is saying the springs are too soft and to go for more stiffer ones.. unfortunately no one in SL has alternatives...

Edited by KC2626

Oops... Sorry NOT ABR... Should be ARB (Anti-roll Bars)

The primary function of anti-roll bars is to reduce body roll by adding to the roll resistance of the springs. Anti-roll bars are used to reduce body roll during cornering. Most cars have a front anti-roll bar, and most sports cars are going to have both a front and rear bar.

But your problem is as explained by others caused by so many reasons. But I really doubt you have soft springs as told by your mechanic. If so I think changing form your existing setup to a harder setup will aggravate your situation. You can have a big balloon sizes tyres, softer suspension, standard coils, to somewhat overcome your prob.... but your ride might look like a Honda HRV ;) . You have a great car. Please don’t do any injustice to it.

If you don't mind could you please post a pic of your car.... I just want to see it's the same HP12 that I'm thinking of that you have.

But your problem is as explained by others caused by so many reasons. But I really doubt you have soft springs as told by your mechanic. If so I think changing form your existing setup to a harder setup will aggravate your situation. You can have a big balloon sizes tyres, softer suspension, standard coils, to somewhat overcome your prob.... but your ride might look like a Honda HRV ;) . You have a great car. Please don’t do any injustice to it.

Very true ash.... KC2626, i think your best choice mate, if it's possible, would be to switch cars.....

from what i understand of your requirements from your car.... the 20v primera is probably not the perfect choice...

Oops... Sorry NOT ABR... Should be ARB (Anti-roll Bars)

The primary function of anti-roll bars is to reduce body roll by adding to the roll resistance of the springs. Anti-roll bars are used to reduce body roll during cornering. Most cars have a front anti-roll bar, and most sports cars are going to have both a front and rear bar.

If you don't mind could you please post a pic of your car.... I just want to see it's the same HP12 that I'm thinking of that you have.

Thanks for the comments and sure i wont do any injustice...

IPB Image

IPB Image

Lovely ride mate.... Yours can out a 205hp right????

I actually was thinking abt a different car. A Gun Mettalic Grey.... Wow that looks stunning.

Yousuf got a another HP12 I think.

For you, as Supra said it's best to switch your ride to an Euro.

Lovely ride mate.... Yours can out a 205hp right????

I actually was thinking abt a different car. A Gun Mettalic Grey.... Wow that looks stunning.

Yousuf got a another HP12 I think.

For you, as Supra said it's best to switch your ride to an Euro.

Thanks a lot for all the comments guys.. and i think most of you are right... i should change the car to get the comfort + handling ....... but but cant afford right now and except for shocks i m loving it ..... the power makes me wow every time.. i m trying to get down the originals form Sin and accept all sports cars has low comfort but can take on any corners at any speed... :jumping-smiley-013::jumping-smiley-013::jumping-smiley-013:

Thanks a lot for all the comments guys.. and i think most of you are right... i should change the car to get the comfort + handling ....... but but cant afford right now and except for shocks i m loving it ..... the power makes me wow every time.. i m trying to get down the originals form Sin and accept all sports cars has low comfort but can take on any corners at any speed... :jumping-smiley-013::jumping-smiley-013::jumping-smiley-013:

I wouldn't say that..... & don't even try.... :o

KC can u text ur mobile no.... 0773160595...

Edited by ash