• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

You Get Copped Even If U Use Speaker Phone While Driving..

Stingray

Question

Hey Guys

2 of my collegues at work got copped within this week for using the speaker phone while driving, one guy had his phone on the lap and was talking away when he was stopped and had no mercy from the cops, second chap is being hauled to courts on friday!

So all you folks out there, just watch out and dont answer calls when driving!!

Hey Guys

2 of my collegues at work got copped within this week for using the speaker phone while driving, one guy had his phone on the lap and was talking away when he was stopped and had no mercy from the cops, second chap is being hauled to courts on friday!

So all you folks out there, just watch out and dont answer calls when driving!!

This is crazy....

Does it mean that even if you have a car phone, like in the Peugeot or Merc you can't use it..??!!

This is crazy....

Does it mean that even if you have a car phone, like in the Peugeot or Merc you can't use it..??!!

I dont know man, but from what i heard from these guys while they were arguing with the cops(that they used both hands on the steering etc..)coppers did not budge an inch.

Same thing happened to me a week back.

I was nicely PARKED on the roadside and talking on speaker phone. Then a cop a bit far away waved me to move out. So I cut the call and while having the phone in hand started driving off. When I got close to him, he suddenly stopped me and said if I'm done with the call to put it into the pocket. And since I had the phone in hand he was going to give me a ticket.

I blasted him in filth, put the car in to gear and pulled off. Through the mirror I saw him taking down my number, but I haven't had any arrest warrants yet.

What they are trying to do is fill their ticket quota for the day or simply looking for a bribe.

Machan law says every thing bt as sri lanlka pl we need to know hw to deal with Cops, I learn it from My mom, and i never paid even a cent to the government and no court stuff

Ok, so whats the verdict...

can you have a phone conversation if both hands are on the steering wheel, or not..

Machan law says every thing bt as sri lanlka pl we need to know hw to deal with Cops, I learn it from My mom, and i never paid even a cent to the government and no court stuff

Does she give lessons machan?

:D:P

This is insane.. you mean to say that you could get copped for just having the phone outside of your pockets??!! or is it that cuz of not having two hands on the wheels?

I ve jumped the gun quite a few times too cuz I am fedup of dealing with these coppers over petty issues with which there is no reasoning with them...

Zz

boys no sense in arguing about this. i actually hate people who drive while on the phone coz their mind is elsewhere.. if you get a call...pls pull over and finish your conversation

if you are a popular person and get tons of calls, invest in a bt headset or a handfree..it will save everyone a lot of trouble...

boys no sense in arguing about this. i actually hate people who drive while on the phone coz their mind is elsewhere.. if you get a call...pls pull over and finish your conversation

if you are a popular person and get tons of calls, invest in a bt headset or a handfree..it will save everyone a lot of trouble...

I agree fuzzo.. but according to sting.. having a convo via the loudspeaker alone would draw the attentions o the cops and i guess so would the bt headset and handsfree... Yes, finish the call and then continue on your voyage but getting copped for merely having the phone out of ya pockets is quite extreme dont you think?

Zz

Fuzzo, spot on

If you get a call while driving pull over and talk or just ignore the call, cops are becoming ruthless these days and going to courts and wasting ur time and money is simply not worth it. But the argument here is using the speakerphone and getting fined, unless the cops inform us the correct rules better not take a chance.

:blink:

Fuzzo, spot on

If you get a call while driving pull over and talk or just ignore the call, cops are becoming ruthless these days and going to courts and wasting ur time and money is simply not worth it. But the argument here is using the speakerphone and getting fined, unless the cops inform us the correct rules better not take a chance.

:blink:

well cops can be gud. one of my friends have been using his hand phone near an army camp, and they have taken the phone saying that they want to check if he has been recording anything, no arguments! he had taken the SIM and given the phone. he never got it back. same thing happened to a another friend - same thing. better watch out. :(

I agree to some extend with fuzzo but i don't see the difference between using speakerphone and the hands free. if the driver had the phone in his hand while talking through the speakerphone that's wrong. but i don't see any harm in having it in the lap. but i recon this depend on the quality of the speakerphone.

It is worth investing on a hansdfree kit, forget about bluetoosh get a wired one it only cost couple of hundred rupees isn’t it?

Hi Guys

This is what happened to me last wesak (2nd day), As my phone battery was low I kept it on da charger and went out, I was driving on Havelock rd towrds Thimbirigasyaya, soon after passing Laughs Super market, there was traffic cop who stopped me, as I asked any particular reason, he asked for my license in a bit of panic mode, I asked which license is it revenue or driving as I wasn't too sure why he stopped me, I was driving slow and there were no traffic on the road, inside my car was very visible (around 11 am, no tints).

The cop is a thin medium complexioned tall fellow with a musto......

He asked me whether I know the offence why he stopped me, I said no and would like to know, he said I was speaking on my hand phone, hearing this I really got annoyed and was arguing with him how can he make such alegations when I don't have a phone and I told him that he can check me or the car. At this point he got confussed too, I tried to get his No, but he was having his shirt poket flap open and carrying his mobile set on that pocket so that one could'nt see his no, any way he let me go, by any chance had I had phone in my vehicle I couldn't have won my argument and my fate woul have been different, I came to the conclusion that as most cars do carry a mobile phone and the cops will win over there argument and pretending the intended trouble one has to go through he would settle for a bribe.

So guys be careful, also since late you will notice many cops around traffic lights etc., I think their daily ticket target has gone up as govt needs more money and mobile phone is troublesome affair to go to courts and prove, so they can pick a fast buck soon.

Cheers

ive gotten nabbed a few times as well for speaking on the phone when i really wasn't. when i told them that. they let me know. usually a cop will radio ahead if they see someone wiht the hand close to your ear. i was actually driving like that a few times when i got nabbed.

agree with fuzzo, use a Blue Tooth :)

machang blue tooth phones are expensive right? I rmber once they were advertising this gadget which connects to the FM requency of the car audio set

BT headsets start at about 3k these days.. and the phones maybe around 19k. So why waste your money and time on courts and arguing with those cops who are filthy.

I personally hate to be blocked or cut in by dudes using their phones.. give them a ear full of horn always and word or two sometimes :)

ive gotten nabbed a few times as well for speaking on the phone when i really wasn't. when i told them that. they let me know. usually a cop will radio ahead if they see someone wiht the hand close to your ear. i was actually driving like that a few times when i got nabbed.

I didn't know cops can pull a person over for using a handsfree. Anyway, how can they prove it? What if the person was singing along to the radio (or talking to themselves) ;)

Edited by Saturn

I didn't know cops can pull a person over for using a handsfree. Anyway, how can they prove it? What if the person was singing along to the radio (or talking to themselves) ;)

they cannot pull you over for using a hands free, if they do' jus talk them right and tell them that you will be going against it, if you are to be fined.

as long as you do not use your hand to answer a call, click buttons in the hands free it will be fine. use the 'AUTO answer' mode and it will do.

invest in a BT and you will never get in to any issues! you guys are using exxxpensive phones rit??

monada bung? aliya gannawa' henduwa ganda barida?? :P

very true... O often talk to myself not to mention laughing my head off when I'm listening to shack & MArk of Yes FM. Can't u show the idiots that there were no calls made or received from/to the mobile with the call registry ????

Well courts are a drag... I took this bus driver to courts and what a waste it was.... Hay it was like me being in the kindergarten again.... they have no respect for people who come there….. Wat a waste of time that was. Form 9.00 am to 12.30 it was horrible sweating like a fountain.

This is just absurd…. Even the justice system here is F*%#@ for the normal citizens

invest in a BT and you will never get in to any issues! you guys are using exxxpensive phones rit??

monada bung? aliya gannawa' henduwa ganda barida?? :P

Nope. What makes u think that? Personally use a cheap-ass phone with no blue tooth. But I still don't have issues coz the wired hands free works well enough.