• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Land Rover

deer

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://forum.autolanka.com/index.php?s...ic=2941&hl=

pls state the specifics of what your reqirements and preference are - ex : Long wheel base (5dr) or shortwheel base (3dr)

for daily use or off roading?

&budget?

Series III pre 1985 models - bellow 1 million

Series I & II's 1950~1970's - bellow 600,000

Defenders - post 1990 - Long wheelbase (110) - 3 ~ 7 Million

late 1980's 110's - 1.5~3 million

(based on engine,year of manufacturef & condition)

Short wheeebase (90) - 1.5 ~ 3 million

Freelanders - 65-xxxx Diesels - 2.8~3.5 Million

TD4 diesel - 3.5 ~4.5 Million

Facelifted Freelader (Mostly K sereies Rover Petrol engine) - 5~7 Million

Discovery mid 1990's - 200/300 Tdi Diesels - 2.5~3.5 Million

Rane Rovers rarely come on the market so its not easy to estimate prices but mid 1990's P38's go anywhere between 4~5.5 Million

Edited by Devinda_Z

http://forum.autolanka.com/index.php?s...ic=2941&hl=

pls state the specifics of what your reqirements and preference are - ex : Long wheel base (5dr) or shortwheel base (3dr)

for daily use or off roading?

&budget?

Series III pre 1985 models - bellow 1 million

Series I & II's 1950~1970's - bellow 600,000

Defenders - post 1990 - Long wheelbase (110) - 3 ~ 7 Million

late 1980's 110's - 1.5~3 million

(based on engine,year of manufacturef & condition)

Short wheeebase (90) - 1.5 ~ 3 million

Freelanders - 65-xxxx Diesels - 2.8~3.5 Million

TD4 diesel - 3.5 ~4.5 Million

Facelifted Freelader (Mostly K sereies Rover Petrol engine) - 5~7 Million

Discovery mid 1990's - 200/300 Tdi Diesels - 2.5~3.5 Million

Rane Rovers rarely come on the market so its not easy to estimate prices but mid 1990's P38's go anywhere between 4~5.5 Million

Thanks 4 the reply.What I want is lwb for daily use.budget is - + 3 m.I have seen one on the road its a lr country what s that.I m not a expert .thanks in advance.

:angry-smiley-024:

Thanks 4 the reply.What I want is lwb for daily use.budget is - + 3 m.I have seen one on the road its a lr country what s that.I m not a expert .thanks in advance.

"COUNTY" reffers to a trim level - like SE Limited , g Touring etc on a Corolla

County models had minor upgrades such as Fabric Seats and the "County" body sticker which ran along the side of the vehicle

UK Domestic model county spec vehicless came with a Sunroof where as all most all County's bought brand new in SL came with Factory fitted air conditioning

for your budget you ought to be able to get an early Defender with a 200 tdi possibly , but dont expect it to be in perfect nick

However you may be able to lay claim to a pre Defender late 1980's Land Rover 110 which has been converted to Defender spec for that price

• 3 weeks later...

Deer, to start with it is not easy to maintain and run a LR especially if you are going to use it as your daily car. Talk to a LR user and you’ll get a picture. Most of the countries County models are converted now with new engines, boxes and bodies. Hardly I see a County these days and most are in relatively sick state.

What the price range mentioned by Devinda is correct and hope you’ve got an idea about it. Remember LR 110 prices started going up for unknown reasons.

MINIACE

I have to oppose you mini with that "sick state" statement.. i think its now becoming very hard to find a sick state LR... owners are crazy..if u ve been to I****ka rajagiriya u will be amazed how ppl are spending on there LRs. owners dont seem to be put off with them despite the fact of expensive spares.

i think owners tend to restore or repair LRs with original LR stuff these days..if u look back 5-6 years most of the LRs were running with jap stuff...now its changing mate...

those days most of the LRs generally worked hard and led a strenuous life. they were not given proper parts or service.

but one thing...Land Rover is some thing you hold so dearly..its not about money...its some thing i do not know to describe...i have driven so many different types of cars/vans/jeeps but have never had the feeling like driving a LR...you've got to have LR inside ur body to get it working...

to me undoubtly its the best 4x4 by far mate..

Edited by lakshank

Lakshank I think what I cited was not really apparent to you machan.Reletively sick I mentioned not from the cosmetic and striking form but the factual mechanical and technical ill health.

Early diesel county NA models suffer enormous engine problems and staid shortage of pertinent spares. I had to wait many months to obtain a genuine rockor gasket sets and big end shells to complete the overhaul recently. Still awaiting frame ball joints,track rod ends.

Early models outfit LT77 suffer many problems nowadays and not to mention about aging LT230 tx box crisis.There is no placein SL to obtain complete LT230 spares for a proper overhaul. Many models stand-in latter model parts for Borg&Beck press plates and even clutch release bearings.

I have seen countless number of early county models leaking rear axel casings. Almost all suffer impossible replacement for aging genuine HC stub axels(FTL 1740)

Mainly I’m talking about late 80s and early 90 county models. The problems I bumped into and observed are enormous to list .Its true people spend many bucks on LRs and LR motors packed with ostentatious examples but underneath the pale display a sick actuality. This is told with no intention of insult to one of my favorite 4WDs.Few knows how I take pleasure in our family County.

MINIACE

Dont waste your time or your money with an LR. Buy something Japanese and it'll outperform any over-hyped British bucket on any given day. Believe me bra, I know a guy that had an immaculate 110 County that was always at the agents for repairs, or being towed back to Colombo by me.

On the days that it did run, it was a horrible drive. Yet, ten years after buying it, he got MORE THAN DOUBLE what he paid for it, but that tells you more about the local car market than it does about crappy old Land Rovers. But I'm sure it was still a losing venture for him because parts for it were apparently phenomenally expensive. And he replaced many, many parts on the thing despite the fact that he babyed it.

PS: A stock Nissan Patrol will eat a stock Land Rover alive in the muddy bits.

Im happy to have atleast one telling the bitter truth.No offence to LR but I wasted nearly 200 man hours in search of parts for the recent overhaul! Devinda joins my club :lol: he too was seen wandering in Panchikawattte on daily basis :lol:

MINIACE

Devinda joins my club :lol: he too was seen wandering in Panchikawattte on daily basis :lol:

ah... :) well actually i was trying to save a few rupees buying some cosmetic bits from outside as opposed to the agents!~ hence the walking about - was trying to see where i could get a better deal from : Willy's Motors or Rover Motors! :D

it was an isolated incident i swear! :lol:

But MiniAce,i'm a little surprised that there is such a huge shortage of parts?? :huh: ...i've been running a 12J for over 5 yrs now n haven't had an issue sourcing parts....but then again i also run a R380...but still...

All of the work done has been handled by Colonial - u do wind up paying a premium,but i've never been left wanting or waiting for parts - u can buy the stuff from their spares division so check there n see? -new stocks are due in next week if i'm not mistaken...

I have to oppose you mini with that "sick state" statement.. i think its now becoming very hard to find a sick state LR... owners are crazy..if u ve been to I****ka rajagiriya u will be amazed how ppl are spending on there LRs. owners dont seem to be put off with them despite the fact of expensive spares.

i think owners tend to restore or repair LRs with original LR stuff these days..if u look back 5-6 years most of the LRs were running with jap stuff...now its changing mate...

those days most of the LRs generally worked hard and led a strenuous life. they were not given proper parts or service.

but one thing...Land Rover is some thing you hold so dearly..its not about money...its some thing i do not know to describe...i have driven so many different types of cars/vans/jeeps but have never had the feeling like driving a LR...you've got to have LR inside ur body to get it working...

to me undoubtly its the best 4x4 by far mate..

I think you're missing the point of what mini-ace was saying..... basically a Landie is not a very reliable daily runner... for that matter most British cars aren't. I recall when I started working and my Mini was my only means of getting about,..... i spent almost every weekend in the garage getting something or the other fixed.... (or getting something new added on...taken off..... or modified :rolleyes: ). My wife who was my girlfriend back then used to say she had to compete a car for my attention.... :jumping-smiley-013::blink:

Whereas a Japanese vehicle can take much more abuse for years on end, without even leaving a spot on your garage floor.

All that said, I'd stilll take the Mini anytime if I want to just go out and have some real fun on the road...... :angry-smiley-048:

My wife who was my girlfriend back then used to say she had to compete a car for my attention....

Thats not limited to Brit car owners :) Frequently heard that from mamax's wife. Apparently used to wake up early on Sundays to go wash the car, and not even make the tea after getting up first :lol:

Edited by Pericles

Nira..I think this is a very common symptom for LR owners..

Everyday i wakeup in the morning with a brandnew idea.How to fit a snorkel/mmmm should i fix a one.. will that take the military look away??

shuld i remove the truck cab and make it a full length canopy??? hundreds of new ideas...My land rovers keeep me alive and awake.

There is a new member going to join soon...I bought a literally scrap S2b Forward control and planning of the restoration project these days....

It could be true...infact its true LRs are a bit expensive to maintain than the japanese cars...but !!I am a LR fanatic :action-smiley-060:

Edited by lakshank

there has been talk of this for well over a year now....reports that Morgan Stanley,HSBC & Goldman Sachs having been consulted on this issue have been circulating...but there hasn't been anything substantial to support the idea of a sale,up until they chucked Aston that is...

Ford's new man in charge,Alan Mullaly (ex Boeing) is said to be pruning all non essential..so if thats the case Jag&LR may well be up for sale for anywhere between $ 1.3~1.6 Billion

The flip side is a school of thought which suggests that Ford should transform Jaguar into a exclusive sports car biased luxury manufacture taking the place of the now sold Aston Martin in Ford's portfolio..

The money Ford has poured into Land Rover is paying dividends only now,so it would be a real shame to sell off a manufacture just as they're getting settled into a profit trend...

Sources:

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/autobeat...unlikely_t.html

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/...12461.html?pg=2

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/...htm?chan=search

• 2 months later...

SInce this is a LR Topic thought of sharing the following two videos with u guys.

Funny but you guys will like these compilations from the movie. Legendery qualities of the LR shown here.

And Devinda, machang I have got to know that Tata is the favourite to buy out Land Rover and Jaguar. Check out thelandroverchronicles.com for more information

SInce this is a LR Topic thought of sharing the following two videos with u guys.

Gods must be crazy2

Funny but you guys will like these compilations from the movie. Legendery qualities of the LR shown here.

And Devinda, machang I have got to know that Tata is the favourite to buy out Land Rover and Jaguar. Check out thelandroverchronicles.com for more information

To be honest machan me thinks that if an automotive company buys LR and Jaguar it will ensure its longevity as a business. If a private equity firm buys it then it becomes just an issue of profits. They have nothing to gain from brand affiliation, and like Rover they will probably just go down after a few years. Jaguar in particular is having a not so good year with their US sales down significantly,

I think if TATA buys it then they have a lot to gain simply having the Land Rover and Jaguar brands associated with the TELCO and TATA brands which would certainly boost their image immensely, a bit like Proton is using lotus to boost its appeal, and thus they have a much better interest of keeping the brands alive, while as for private equity its more or less a number game, and when the numbers do not add up they tend to ditch and run, not stay and fight, and sometimes its cheaper to dismantle companies rather than keep them going.

They seemed to have covered just about all the eccentricities of a proper Landy :)

Yeah machan I heard about TATA's interest, but am currently in denial!

Don, you make a valid point about the interest of equity firms & the benefit of being owned by an automotive company itself.

Therefore, although such an acquisition would be beneficial to TATA, I don't really see how Land Rover would benefit much...

Under Ford ownership in particular LR was able to tap into some their R&D as well as have an option of sourcing parts etc.

However, I can't quite think of anything that LR can get from TATA, be in terms of technology or expertise. As a whole the Indian auto industry certainly isn't on the cutting edge of anything. The recent paradigm shift in the region is thanks to the liberalization and entry of foreign players into the Indian market and investment in the form of leading automotive manufacturers setting up plants...

LR will certainly have an opportunity to market their products in the region - given the substantial Indian economy and the growing presence of TATA in the region, there is money to be made...

It’s just that the thought of being owned by a company which has only been in the automotive industry for just over four decades, the majority of which has been developing buses and commercial vehicles most certainly detracts from the heritage of Land Rover.

I fear very much that if this deal were to go through LR's development, both as a brand and an entity would be stunted severely...

Tata's automotive history is littered with many JV's & technical knowledge-sharing agreements, but none of them are amiable or flattering. I fail to see any synergy that could possibly be generated between a merger of an Indian conglomerate and two British automotive legends...