• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ae110 Or Bluebird?

chana

Hy Guys! I'm in two minds whether to buy a Corolla AE110 or a Bluebird Sylphy 2001. AE110 is a bit old and cheaper than the Bluebird but I'm concerned about the ride comfort and fuel efficiency also. What would be the best choice for me.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hy Guys! I'm in two minds whether to buy a Corolla AE110 or a Bluebird Sylphy 2001. AE110 is a bit old and cheaper than the Bluebird but I'm concerned about the ride comfort and fuel efficiency also. What would be the best choice for me.

Fuel efficiency - AE 110

Ride Comfort - Sylphy

they really are from two completely different generations however, hence the difference in cost... the Sylphy is the more modern car, and it is WAY more comfortable speaking from experience, so in the end its down to which is more important to you....

Milindu will be able to advise on the specifics of the models

welcome to AL btw... hope you become a regular :)

Hey Chana,

The Sylphy is more or less a plush N16. What you get is a nice interior and a newer looking car as Supra_Natural mentioned. You get nice plush seats, some leather, chrome and wood trim finishes.

If you leave all that aside, we have had quite a few clients whom we 'upgraded' from an AE110 to an N16/Sylphy that preferred the ride on the 110. You will feel the difference on longer trips. may be something to do with the longer wheel travel on the 110 and a better suspension setup (which also lasts longer).

Im sure you can find a mint 110 for 2001 Sylphy money since your concerns are ride quality and fuel efficiency.

As Kim mentioned the more comfortable and almost as economical options are the Carinas and Coronas. There were some Carina Ti/ Premios in the papers last week. There was an H Reg Premio for 17 something.

if fuel efficiency is a concern, try a Carina (97 model would do) which would give you the same comfort like in a Nissan Sylphy.

What are the figures for a 97 Carina ?

ae 110......

my advice is Toyota better than Nissan. thats it.

I agree with him when comparing the economical sedans offered by the two brands. So Skylien’s, Silvia,s 350z’s are out of the equation. Toyota has better ride quality, fuel efficiency and reliability.

Nilantha seems to be a Toyota Fanatic..You cannot just say that its better than Nissan...any facts ????

Pericles is Nissan Fanatic, :D Anway the problem in Sl ppl think Toyota's are way better than the other cars bt they cant prove it

Coming back to the topic i also recomend 97 Carina, its a very gud vehicle

I agree with him when comparing the economical sedans offered by the two brands. So Skylien’s, Silvia,s 350z’s are out of the equation. Toyota has better ride quality, fuel efficiency and reliability.

Pericles is Nissan Fanatic, :D Anway the problem in Sl ppl think Toyota's are way better than the other cars bt they cant prove it

Coming back to the topic i also recomend 97 Carina, its a very gud vehicle

I didn't say the Nissan was the better choice, did I? I disagreed with the way it was presented. Three replies before that, model posts on how to reply to a question. Even Terrance is ok, coz u know thats just his opinion.

Nilantha's post... thats just not the way to do things.

ok..will excuse him...some people find it hard to put their thoughts into words in english..That is a fair reason..coz english is not sri lankans mother tounge...Some people face difficulties in expressing theirselves. it is a genuine reason...You are excused Nilantha...but if you really meant it..then its bad..its a bad example...even i have a 15 SRI corolla DX wagon (belonged to my grand father) and we still have it coz it still goes with no problems. I accept toyotas are brilliant..but it would be nice not to condemn other vehicles because those owners might get hurt..

What are the figures for a 97 Carina ?

well the 97 model which we have approximately for a full tank gives 700KM's/15 per Liter - this runs [Colombo - Anuradhapura]

the 99 model, which has the same engine used in Colombo does approximately around 11/10 per liter. depends on the traffic of course (and your driving style)..i come early when there is NO traffic and leaves when there is less traffic, not for anything else but then just don't like to get stuck in the traffic for long :)

Note: both cars are Manual

the VVT-i's are said to be giving amazing figures Auto/Manual both.

Edited by Kim

my advice is Toyota better than Nissan. thats it.

It depends on what kind of driving you do the most. If most of your driving is around town in traffic and you want good economy and cheap spare parts.... toyota would be better.

But if you want a more comfortable car which you may enjoy driving longer distances.... stick with nissan. Or as someone suggested look a bit further up the scale at a Toyota Carina.

(Still recovering after a run from Pannala to Colombo Last night in my 121 Corolla...... hardly feel it when I use either of the Nissans) :)

It depends on what kind of driving you do the most. If most of your driving is around town in traffic and you want good economy and cheap spare parts.... toyota would be better.

But if you want a more comfortable car which you may enjoy driving longer distances.... stick with nissan. Or as someone suggested look a bit further up the scale at a Toyota Carina.

(Still recovering after a run from Pannala to Colombo Last night in my 121 Corolla...... hardly feel it when I use either of the Nissans) :)

for long run its should be a Toyota try a Carina/Corona as Milindu suggested, Corollas wont give you the same comfort, the feeling is very different i should say, being used to corollas continuously few years back.

its a said by car sales ppl that' once a person uses a Carina, that they will ALWAYS use a Carina and never change back to other car :D

Edited by Kim

Thanks friends for your invaluable comments and suggestions. I feel Carina would be a better choice even though it wasn't in my list. I have seen two types of Carinas, GT & Ti (correct me if I'm wrong). Any difference between them? What is the price range of Carinas these days?

Thanks friends for your invaluable comments and suggestions. I feel Carina would be a better choice even though it wasn't in my list. I have seen two types of Carinas, GT & Ti (correct me if I'm wrong). Any difference between them? What is the price range of Carinas these days?

The GT is the sports version of the carina, with a high revving 1.6ltr engine... pretty quick and not that bad on fuel (dont know the specific figures though, someone else will have to fill in)....

The Ti is the normal, everyday version with, I believe, a 1.5 ltr engine....

also, there is a rarer version called the Si (i've only seen a few around), which has a 1.8 ltr engine....

Do you have a 121 Singapore spec? We have one of those where the suspension is stiff and the seats are artificial leather where every one complaints of backaches. Even the B'new imports have stiff suspension but fabric seats.

As for the Carina, the Si (1.8 ltr) is the the pick of the lot. Its quite satisfying to drive and does very well on fuel while the 1.5 litr Ti has just enough power to get you there if not ample.

GT is great to drive but spares (Suspension etc) are a bit harder to come by and a bit pricier as opposed to the Ti/Si models. I have heard of greater engine wear on the GT but not come aross such a case personally.

Do you have a 121 Singapore spec? We have one of those where the suspension is stiff and the seats are artificial leather where every one complaints of backaches. Even the B'new imports have stiff suspension but fabric seats.

As for the Carina, the Si (1.8 ltr) is the the pick of the lot. Its quite satisfying to drive and does very well on fuel while the 1.5 litr Ti has just enough power to get you there if not ample.

GT is great to drive but spares (Suspension etc) are a bit harder to come by and a bit pricier as opposed to the Ti/Si models. I have heard of greater engine wear on the GT but not come aross such a case personally.

many say that the 1.8 Si version does very well on fuel? how come? weight to power ratio? is it? i have seen on the specs the same thing, that the 1.8 has the same/better fuel economy than the 1.5 version. want to clarify this. as next plans are not soo far, hopefully.

Hi, Out of 110 and Sylphy, 110 gives you much better fuel economy, comfort and excellent resale value too, Sylphy is nice in it's little luxuries, but on longer trips, say Colombo Ratnapura or Colombo Kandy even you feel the difference in ride let alone within colombo,

As you have been already adviced , carina or corona is a much better option around the same budget line, my personal experience and opinion is toyota's are much refined, better ride quality, less maintenance, fuel economy and holds a better value ( I am referring to the generice normal cars, not the high ends which is a different case)

I think a decent carina 210 1.5 ltr would be around 1.7 to 2 mil (face lift around 1.8 to 2.0) Corona Premio about the same, if you got the cash inhand try offering bit low and check it as the market is stagnant you may find some luck. Good luck

210 is GT, 212 is the model number that you should be checking on.

Corona Premio' have lesser market than Corolla/Carina so make sure which model to look for before hand.

Ti - Full Option/1.5 Liter/100 BHP

Ti My Road - Full Option/1.5 Liter/Teak Interior/100 BHP

GT - Sports Spec/165 BHP

Si - Highest Grade/Full Option/1.8 Liter/Teak Interior/115 BHP

Once i came through a Carina Ti-E package which has the following changes, it was in superb condition but was lucky enough to get know that its market is very lesser than on a normal version. BTW it was a Manual too.

No RPM Meter

No Digital Meter (Analog is present)

4 Nut Base of Alloys (Normally Carina's its 5)

So if you come across one of them make sure to get it 1 - 1 1/2 below the market price, better not to mess around with a one, do not buy.

let us know the progress and post some pics once you get hold of a one :)

Channa-----------------------

try to find AT212 1.5CC Manual or 1.8CC Petrol Turbo Carina one. it is very good car............ :D (Think twice before buy 1.6CC one)

Hay all my friends. if u summarized this all comments, u can make a small sentence like is “Toyota is better than Nissan.” That’s it.. :lol:

Edited by Nilantha