• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Is It Ok To Perform J-turns / 180 Degree Hand Break Turns With A Car That Has Abs.

Archon

Is it OK to perform J-turns / 180 degree hand break turns with a car that has ABS..??? Coz when I do these turns my ABS booster re boost each time due to the rear wheel lock imposed by the hand break (as it should):huh: and it displays an error or a warning message on its multi functional display…sadly it is in Japanese…wonder what it says…hope that it dosent says “what the #*^% are u doing!!”

are these maneuvers harmful to the ABS system or ECU? I have a Marino and its all stock...Guys please do comment on this!!! :unsure:

Edited by Archon

Is it OK to perform J-turns / 180 degree hand break turns with a car that has ABS..??? Coz when I do these turns my ABS booster re boost each time due to the rear wheel lock imposed by the hand break (as it should):huh: and it displays an error or a warning message on its multi functional display…sadly it is in Japanese…wonder what it says…hope that it dosent says “what the #*^% are u doing!!”

are these maneuvers harmful to the ABS system or ECU? I have a Marino and its all stock...Guys please do comment on this!!! :unsure:

Wel I can tel you what happen to me....

I busted my rear wheel hub.. and had to replace it..

It also depends on what type of car u drive.. some can handle it, while others can't.

No expert, but if yours is an auto with FWD, it is kinda risky to try it out... unless you got some pretty good bhp under your hood and it is RWD recommend not.. read about it somewhere.. shall post once i find it.. and the ABS activates on the handbrake?! the handbrake usually has a separate line either being hydraulically or operated by cable which bypasses the ABS equipments me think.. whats your car?

Zz

Wel I can tel you what happen to me....

I busted my rear wheel hub.. and had to replace it..

It also depends on what type of car u drive.. some can handle it, while others can't.

Oh! thanks a lot Buatti at last i get some comments....really you got busted your hub!!!! it is unbelievable!!! they are so strong!!! did you replaced the entire hub or just the roller bearing? what is you car? my one is a Toyota Sprinter Marino...it has somewhat stiff sus...very very little body roll...flat tires...FWD/ manual...

Im gonna try it with my Sunny too ..but still its hand breaks are not working....

Archon :alc:

Edited by Archon

No expert, but if yours is an auto with FWD, it is kinda risky to try it out... unless you got some pretty good bhp under your hood and it is RWD recommend not.. read about it somewhere.. shall post once i find it.. and the ABS activates on the handbrake?! the handbrake usually has a separate line either being hydraulically or operated by cable which bypasses the ABS equipments me think.. whats your car?

Zz

Dear NeXGen thank you for your reply :) ....my one is a Toyota Marino, FWD/Manual/N/A... actually yes! as we all know handbrake has its own cable system...but it doesnt bypass the ABS system 100%..coz there are wheel speed sensors at each wheel which detect the wheel spinning speed at all times regardless of you are accelerating or breaking. some cars have 4... one for each wheel but some cars has only 3... that means 2 to front and 1 for both rear. so they detects the deacceleration rate of each wheel... according to those signals ABS system calculates and predicts whether it needs to be activated or not + it predicts which wheel/wheels gonna cause a wheel lock and apply breaks accordingly for each individual wheel, this avoid skidding B) . so it is these sensors which tells the system that there is a wheel lock at the back of my car coz my front wheels keep spinning during the maneuver.

Now the scenario should be clear to you regarding why this "ABS" reboost itself... therefore even though it is not related with general breaking, ABS system can see what is going on with our each wheel at all times and stays standby all the time.... B)

what i want to make sure is that reboosting of ABS for a false reason (with out applying general breaks) will harm the system or not! ...and im curious about that warning message too....gosh! its in Japanese kno! :(

Edited by Archon

Eh.. you sure the ABS activates on the go without having the driver pressing the brakes? cuz from what i feel, the sensors modifying the wheel speeds etc. without the driver ever pressing the brakes sounds more like traction control and that makes maximum use of all the sensors positioned at each .. have you tried hand braking in a straight line? does the rear wheel skid to a halt or does it stil move forward and then halt?

Zz

if you ask me, the hand brake should have nothing to do with the ABS! The H.brake cable goes directly to the pistons of the read brakes and push the shoes (drum) or squeeze the pads (disc). If you get a sense that the hand-brake doesnt lock the wheels completely its not cos of the ABS and might simple be a a cable that no-longer can hold the tention as it should.

I agree, the hubs take a lot of sideways force when its really not built to do so. so the chances are that if you have very sticky tyres you just might pop a hub. but if you must do a hand brake turn for the fun of it, go do it on a flat sandy area where traction is minimum. :)

then there's also the factors such as wheel alignment that should be takeninto consideration when pushing a car like this. With the price of tyres these days and with a proposed hike soon, wouldnt hurt to try save as much rubber as you can, rather than waste it on the road with un-alligned wheels.

Eh.. you sure the ABS activates on the go without having the driver pressing the brakes?

ABS booster reboost....i can hear the reboosting sound clearly...its just like you've pressed the break so hard at a high speed.

cuz from what i feel, the sensors modifying the wheel speeds etc. without the driver ever pressing the brakes sounds more like traction control and that makes maximum use of all the sensors positioned at each .. have you tried hand braking in a straight line? does the rear wheel skid to a halt or does it stil move forward and then halt?

My car doesnt have traction control. and when i pull the hanbreak at a straight line the rear wheels skid and comes to a hault. :P:)

I agree, the hubs take a lot of sideways force when its really not built to do so. so the chances are that if you have very sticky tyres you just might pop a hub. but if you must do a hand brake turn for the fun of it, go do it on a flat sandy area where traction is minimum. :)

then there's also the factors such as wheel alignment that should be takeninto consideration when pushing a car like this. With the price of tyres these days and with a proposed hike soon, wouldnt hurt to try save as much rubber as you can, rather than waste it on the road with un-alligned wheels.

:rolleyes: Thanks for the advise Dilseh :)

Zz

ya I think Nexgen is right.... the hand brake has no connection with the ABS and therefore should not get activated. I'm no expert... but what u mean is you drive and then take a sharp turn with the sling of the handbrake right......? well if that's the case the ABS should not kick in.....

Im not too thrilled with ABS myself.... I was advised by 1 garage due to just deactivate it by removing the fuse in the fuse box... but I thought naaaaa let the dam thing be there ... u never know....

ya I think Nexgen is right.... the hand brake has no connection with the ABS and therefore should not get activated. I'm no expert... but what u mean is you drive and then take a sharp turn with the sling of the handbrake right......? well if that's the case the ABS should not kick in.....

Im not too thrilled with ABS myself.... I was advised by 1 garage due to just deactivate it by removing the fuse in the fuse box... but I thought naaaaa let the dam thing be there ... u never know....

Thank you for the comment.. mazdaspeed :) but you have to read my other comments too.. Oh! god! do not remove ABS..!! its one of the essential things... one thing for sure that garage dude was a real stupid dumb a** ... i wonder why he didn’t asked you to remove the engine and tie bull to the car instead... :lol::lol: so be careful when taking advice from ppl... :)..

please read this ABS FAQs... you will understand the importance of ABS.

Oh! thanks a lot Buatti at last i get some comments....really you got busted your hub!!!! it is unbelievable!!! they are so strong!!! did you replaced the entire hub or just the roller bearing? what is you car? my one is a Toyota Sprinter Marino...it has somewhat stiff sus...very very little body roll...flat tires...FWD/ manual...

Im gonna try it with my Sunny too ..but still its hand breaks are not working....

Had to replace the entire hub, cost me 11k brand new. Car was a Mazda Familia AWD.

Had to replace the entire hub, cost me 11k brand new. Car was a Mazda Familia AWD.

Thnak you somuch Bugatti! a very good lesson for me and a good warning to keep in mind! but one more question! did the hub pop out?

Edited by Archon

Thnak you somuch Bugatti! a very good lesson for me and a good warning to keep in mind! but one more question! did the hub pop out?

No didn't pop out, it bent.... since the rear has disk brakes the caliper rubs against the disk.

Thank you for the comment.. mazdaspeed :) but you have to read my other comments too.. Oh! god! do not remove ABS..!! its one of the essential things... one thing for sure that garage dude was a real stupid dumb a** ... i wonder why he didn't asked you to remove the engine and tie bull to the car instead... :lol::lol: so be careful when taking advice from ppl... :) ..

please read this ABS FAQs... you will understand the importance of ABS.

Well partly my fault as I said I was not too keen on the ABS part.... anyway I decided to keep the ABS in working condition - Thx for the information was very informative....

• 2 weeks later...

OOopS! thank you guys who have already posted but i still didnt get the answer im looking for!!!

yoo hooo~! anybody home? :unsure: Miniace! Pericles! Davinda! Dillongt! Sharkster! Duncan! guys can sombody help me? :rolleyes: ...Oh! havent seen davinda for a long time!!!! :unsure:

Archon

Edited by Archon

OOopS! thank you guys who have already posted but i still didnt get the answer im looking for!!!

yoo hooo~! anybody home? :unsure: Miniace! Pericles! Davinda! Dillongt! Sharkster! Duncan! guys can sombody help me? :rolleyes: ...Oh! havent seen davinda for a long time!!!! :unsure:

Archon

in short YES it is harmful. but not to the ABS and ECU. The guys above told you thier first hand experience. I knowit sounds like fun, but its not worth it if you pop a hub or crack a bearing or two.

There are some of my friends who do 180's and 360's bt if u over do it it will damege ur suspention and some other parts too, no idea abt the ABS thing, but cant recomend 180 and 360 turns on tar mack, bt one or two hand brake turns at gravel is not that harmfull

Edited by GihanFX

Archon

Pericles doesn't know coz Pericles likes his car too much to do 180s on it and really doesn't like having to buy new tires after wasting the tires on useless stunts.