• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Glass Tinting Advice

Sha7

Depends on the quality of tint you want bro.. you could opt for 3M tint which is somewhat costlier than the normal tint which you could get applied at Darley Road. The advantage being that the 3M film has some heat proof coating preventing the car from warming up. I d vouch for it as I have tinted mine with 3M. You could get it done at Kleenpark or the 3M joint at Borella.. recommend the 3M joint.

Typical costs for a car would be around 7500 to 8500 depending on the surface area the tint has to be applied. You could get the entire tint done at Darley road too for bout 2500 to 3000. 3M comes with a lifetime warranty too.

Just read in the papers, a new brand of tints in SL Cant seem to find that ad though :(

Zz

My advise for you is not to tint the front shutters.I had to remove tints from my front shutters last week as cops asked me to do so.

They took my license and asked me to produce the car to slave island police station in order to get is back.

No fines though.

The cops said that several teams have been placed in various places in colombo just to catch the vehicles with tint.This is in the backdrop of high seceurity threats.

My advise for you is not to tint the front shutters.I had to remove tints from my front shutters last week as cops asked me to do so.

They took my license and asked me to produce the car to slave island police station in order to get is back.

No fines though.

The cops said that several teams have been placed in various places in colombo just to catch the vehicles with tint.This is in the backdrop of high seceurity threats.

i believe this is for the front windows? isnt it?

but then if you have used a lighter tint, as if you can see through it..i think that kind of tint is accepted.

Saw one of these busts today near Royal. Couldnt stick around but looked like the cop was trying to get the guy to rip it off then and there.

Sigh.. shutters down during the day would save yourself the tint and at times some money too.. but I suppose it would be a real sweaty fiasco to keep on doing that.. front tints are acceptable as per Kleenpark when i did my installation.. the govt should supply the necessary tint installation info etc. to those involved in the tint industry rather than harassing people after the tint..

Been with the tint for over a year or two, no probs whatsoever.. mainly cuz of me driving usually with the shutters down.. :)

Zz

Oh! Shutters down in Sri Lanka? No way machan! It will cost more for cleaning the interior. Isn’t it? Sri Lanka is totally polluted! :ninja:

Does anyone else have experiences about this ban on tinting? Is it ok if I put a light tint on front shutters? Will it be a problem at night when reversing if I apply a dark tint to rear window? :unsure:

Wel, I had light tint when I bought my car, used it for bout a year without getting copped... two months ago, unfortunately got copped pulling out of WTC.. didn't get a fine though.. but was asked to remove the tint and produce the car at Fort police.

a week later got another tint done... :jumping-smiley-013:

Light tint on the front, medium on the rear. Hoping I don;t to get copped again soon... :unsure:

Dark tints in the rear does affect your visibility at night somewhat inspite of it being transparent inside out dude.. and yes, you would have to clean your interior in a monthly basis if you heed my advice :).. rather than getting fined or caught though.. shutters down would be very economical and hassle free in a way :)

else, shutters up all the time and shutters down when you see a cop? I have light tints in the front, dark at the rear shutters and rear screen.

Zz

Wel, I had light tint when I bought my car, used it for bout a year without getting copped... two months ago, unfortunately got copped pulling out of WTC.. didn't get a fine though.. but was asked to remove the tint and produce the car at Fort police.

Bugatti, What’s the level of tint in your front shutter when u get caught? Dark, medium or light?

Bugatti, What’s the level of tint in your front shutter when u get caught? Dark, medium or light?

It was light tint when I got caught.... the law is that u cannot have tint of any type for the front..

But then, the new Mercs have curtains...!!! what is the law for that...

What if we have a sun visor installed in the car, for all 4 doors..! is there a law preventing that? guess not..

Mercs have curtains...!!! what is the law for that...

What if we have a sun visor installed in the car, for all 4 doors..! is there a law preventing that? guess not..

There is no proper law for curtains ,blinds ,covers, shades....except for tints.

MINIACE

No fines though.

HAy Axela.... same here... I was nicely pulling out of the park when I was stopped by these 2 goons ...... they were kind of touching my window... stating it was tinted..... I said yes in a very stern voice... said it was a 3 M tint ( Loku nayek ariya... ) and that nothing was wrong with it... put up the shutter and drove off

What the helll man... don't these fools have anything better than to check tint's .... kind of sick with this hole dam security joke.... U can park on a road, have to stop when the fools are going and wait in traffic... Is there no end to this madness.....

Hence U may want to look at getting something in the lines of the bloody law we got here

What the helll man... don't these fools have anything better than to check tint's .... kind of sick with this hole dam security joke.... U can park on a road, have to stop when the fools are going and wait in traffic... Is there no end to this madness.....

Damn right buddy!

We have to wait for hours on the road when these political fools get on the road. And they can tint their cars (which were bought from our money). We can’t tint ours for their security. What the hell!

There is no proper law for curtains ,blinds ,covers, shades....except for tints.

MINIACE

What is the rationale of that..? meaning, You are permitted to have some sort of shield for you shutters, as long as it is not pasted to the glass..??!! :unsure:

Why not we use "Lace Curtains" for our cars, instead of tints.... there's not law to prevent that right?? :angry-smiley-048:

True, but what if you do not want others to see the chick riding in your car... that's the issue I'm facing ;)

Spot on bro !!!! B):jumping-smiley-013:

True, but what if you do not want others to see the chick riding in your car... that's the issue I'm facing ;)

Yah! Sri Lankan people are curious about others stuff… But curtains are not the solution. May be a sun visor :jumping-smiley-013:

Cool :D

So...It gives another reason for the policemen to bust drivers with tinted shields.

Reducing domestic violence :angry-smiley-024:

Ya, in fact, the first ever accident I was involved in was due to the chick in the car next to mine... :rolleyes: Actually it was my fault, was looking at her so much that I wasn;t concentrating on the car in front of me... and then hit it from behind..! :action-smiley-060: Bad Scene..