• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

buying my first car.....

Venuja Batheegama

Question

First of all I'm very new to forums and discovered it a few months back when i was searching about various old cars in the internet (like the datsun 510).....first of all i am a 20 yr old that loves cars (my technical knowledge on cars are however not that great) and i am looking into buying my very own first car and that's why I'm reaching out here. my budget is not that big (12 to 15 lakhs) and im searching for a more fun to drive manual car that i can learn from about owning and maintaining one but also something a bit reliable. any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!☺️

13 hours ago, Venuja Batheegama said:

what does it mean for a car to have a tin body

basically means it has a metal body (for the most part) and is not fully loaded with putty/catloy. Also...more modern cars had composite metals which takes a bit of time, effort and skill (and sometimes impossible) to actually tinker it to near perfection (so at a certain point you will have to start using filler to shape out the rest). There are pros and cons...if it is an all metal body then it is also more susceptible to rusting out more easily (even if there is a small scratch on the paint work that exposes the metal it will rust out faster than the composite metal ones).

2 hours ago, iRage said:

basically means it has a metal body (for the most part) and is not fully loaded with putty/catloy. Also...more modern cars had composite metals which takes a bit of time, effort and skill (and sometimes impossible) to actually tinker it to near perfection (so at a certain point you will have to start using filler to shape out the rest). There are pros and cons...if it is an all metal body then it is also more susceptible to rusting out more easily (even if there is a small scratch on the paint work that exposes the metal it will rust out faster than the composite metal ones).

So basically buying a tin body car isnt that great (because of it being more prone to rusting ) unless we consider the ease of tinkering? 😅

Edited by Venuja Batheegama

5 hours ago, Venuja Batheegama said:

So basically buying a tin body car isnt that great (because of it being more prone to rusting ) unless we consider the ease of tinkering? 😅

Kike I said...has its pros and cons....basically all the cars you are looking at for your budget will have "tin" body :D 

On 2/9/2024 at 7:15 PM, Venuja Batheegama said:

can you give me some more info on this lancer with GT internals and as to whether its still available because i can for sure check it out....are GT cars significantly difficult to maintain

There would have been not more than a handful of actual GT's and I've only seen a couple and they were also swaps (1800 engine swapped on the regular Lancer 1400)Out of curiosity i called the seller on this 'GT' turns out it is not a mechanical swap.  the engine is a regular 1400 Lancer engine and he has only swapped doors with upholstery, seats and consoles from a GT Parts car. So basically it's just regular dressed up Lancer Box :D , so I'd say the price he is asking is too high. But of course it was posted in the Facebook Lancer groups so you might see it there. 

Tin body = metal and not putty/cataloy/filler. This is usually  just b.s.