• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Gajaba Supercross 2007

Grand Civic

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we are coming close to the point where it becomes pointless/too expensive to run high-powered cars in mass-start gravel/dirt events. Visibility is crap, grip is minimal and the potential for expensive impacts because of kamikaze moves by other drivers is many times that of tarmac events. Almost every race, an expensive GT car is badly damaged and others come away with dented panels and bodywork as well. I really wish they'd tar some of these SuperCross circuits. Forget FIA-specs, just building them for local events is fine, as long as they build adequate gravel traps and other safety mods as well.

I think we are coming close to the point where it becomes pointless/too expensive to run high-powered cars in mass-start gravel/dirt events. Visibility is crap, grip is minimal and the potential for expensive impacts because of kamikaze moves by other drivers is many times that of tarmac events. Almost every race, an expensive GT car is badly damaged and others come away with dented panels and bodywork as well. I really wish they'd tar some of these SuperCross circuits. Forget FIA-specs, just building them for local events is fine, as long as they build adequate gravel traps and other safety mods as well.

300% agreed..making too much difficult n narrow tracks..what abt the spectetors who goes threre all the way..do they got to see the action they 've paid for the tickets

Really !!!! You heard it on last gajaba ???? Atleast you should share it with your close friends right.... :D

yeah but i would never do that because in back 2003 it was only me and few others who was there to support. i guess just becuase a driver makes mistake we should not call them a nut case or inability to drive because i am just a spectator.

Hope you dont misunderstand machan.

Just as KLM said just how many cars have been wrecked on Gravel. If i name the past accidents which has happend Aravinda Premadasa Subaru Sti / Pradeep Jayawardena Evo 5 / Dinesh Deheragoda Evo 8 and Evo 9 / Nalin Dilpriya Subaru Sti / Reyaz faoruk - Evo 4 / Masour Hassan Evo 5. Feroze Omar Sti 8 . I am sure all the above drivers are best of the best so i think just because they do a small mistake and wreck a car we should not put them down. I guess these machines costs lots of money to prepare. It hurts anyone deep down there heart to see them distroyed.

cheers.

Congratulations Aravinda :)

Incidentally does anybody know why AP still races with his Evo 7 RS with lots of other drivers upgrading on quite a regular basis ? The car seems quite competitive though

Also is Mahinda's Evo9 repairable ?

Don infact mahinda has only suffered damages to the front intercooler and radiator only. Front bumper is damaged and fenders with the bonnet. Luckily he is into Autoparts. So he has all the parts complete with him.

thanks for the support guys.

:)

Yes Ara still drives the Evo 7 RS and this weekend showed that he is one of the best gravel drivers. he was very consistent and some how able to dominate on gravel.

Edited by Velocity

Don infact mahinda has only suffered damages to the front intercooler and radiator only. Front bumper is damaged and fenders with the bonnet. Luckily he is into Autoparts. So he has all the parts complete with him.

thanks for the support guys.

:)

Yes Ara still drives the Evo 7 RS and this weekend showed that he is one of the best gravel drivers. he was very consistent and some how able to dominate on gravel.

I guess on Gravel his skills take over from the more advanced electronics of other cars :) I think power wise there can't be much difference amongst the cars

Well glad to know Mahinda's Evo9 lives to race another day, I wish him the best, apart from the intercooler, and maybe the lightweight bonnet he seems to have got away quite cheaply from his accident

hi grandcivic..,

mchan if u dnt mind cn u tell me about wat happened in group SLA upto 1400 and SLH-1600 events..? were they competitive?

anyone got any pics??? :rolleyes:

thanks

hi grandcivic..,

mchan if u dnt mind cn u tell me about wat happened in group SLA upto 1400 and SLH-1600 events..? were they competitive?

anyone got any pics??? :rolleyes:

thanks

No Machan i was able to see only the 2nd race of SL-H 1600.

it was won by Nishan Wasalathanthri followed by Upulwan , pasindu , & Snr Mannapperuma.

Thank you all you guys for the wishes before and after Gajaba Super Cross!! :rolleyes:

KLM, I am 100% with you on what you said, but we as competitors have no choice of these gravel mass start races as they are included in the local Championships and at the end of the season our sponsors want us to win Championships. Therefore I believe this type of racing will be seen in the years to come with continues active participation from drivers inspite of the expensive damages for the cars. :action-smiley-060:

Also if you may see gravel circuits are the events that pull most of the crowds and not tarmac. :angry-smiley-024: May be due where it is located the people from the area come to see with the forces selling tickets months before the races….

However such type of racing is not seen much in other parts of the world but for some reason it is popular here in SL :mellow: . What would really put a driver and machine combination into real test on gravel is a speed rally like what MRA conducts here with absolutely clear visibility (not to mention the dogs and cows on the road :) )

Hope we see more of such speed rallies in the years to come.

Cheers!

However such type of racing is not seen much in other parts of the world but for some reason it is popular here in SL :mellow: . What would really put a driver and machine combination into real test on gravel is a speed rally like what MRA conducts here with absolutely clear visibility (not to mention the dogs and cows on the road :) )

Hope we see more of such speed rallies in the years to come.

Cheers!

Machang, why complaining about dogs and cows???? its a test of skill man.

Where else do you have gambling, (which way will the dog run?, rock or cow? culvert or just a big pot hole?) found mixed with a special stage rally. Makes for one very special stage!!!!

Machang, why complaining about dogs and cows???? its a test of skill man.

Where else do you have gambling, (which way will the dog run?, rock or cow? culvert or just a big pot hole?) found mixed with a special stage rally. Makes for one very special stage!!!!

Cant seem to make myself happy about this Gajaba Supercross as Intel indicates that the LTTE used this to infiltrate into the Air base and stayed under cover to take out the Helis and planes later in the night. Damn!

Cant seem to make myself happy about this Gajaba Supercross as Intel indicates that the LTTE used this to infiltrate into the Air base and stayed under cover to take out the Helis and planes later in the night. Damn!

I seriously doubt that's what happened. In ten years of going to military bases for race meets, I've never seen as much security as I did on Sunday at the Gajaba camp. In addition to checking the number of people in the car multiple times through the drive into the paddock, they individually whisked everybody entering (spectators, crew and drivers if I'm not mistaken) and also went through all the cars in detail.

From what I hear we can blame Sirasa Super Star and the traditional post-Gajaba shindig.

I seriously doubt that's what happened. In ten years of going to military bases for race meets, I've never seen as much security as I did on Sunday at the Gajaba camp. In addition to checking the number of people in the car multiple times through the drive into the paddock, they individually whisked everybody entering (spectators, crew and drivers if I'm not mistaken) and also went through all the cars in detail.

From what I hear we can blame Sirasa Super Star and the traditional post-Gajaba shindig.

But seriously.. I'm not sure about having races inside an active military compound....with the country at war. unwarranted risk. There are better ways to raise money for worthy causes. Still enjoyed watching the bits of the races they showed on TV though.

I think people sometimes forget what we are fighting for up in the North,

We are fighting for a unified country where we can live in peace and harmony and where there is no discrimination based on race or religion

Sport is always a wonderful spectacle where these ideals are realized, where there are no Sinhalese Tamils or Muslims, or any other people from other nationalities or religions, there are just competitors all starting from an equal footing and through sheer determination and skills one emerges victorious.

Point is the LTTE is going to make use of every opportunity to cause as much damage to our way of life as much as possible, that is simply how they operate.

The answer is not to shut down everything in reaction to things that occur because if we are to do that we might as well just hand the country to the LTTE, because what is terrorism ? it is a method of achieving objectives by targeting non combatants and disrupting their way of life. For us to allow them to disrupt our way of life is to hand victory to the LTTE.

Thus while understanding that more needs to be done to ensure the impact of such attacks (there is no way to completely eliminate those type of attacks as they are mixed in with the population) and more done to prevent them and to ensure public safety, and as individuals we need to be alert and cautious and report anything suspicious to the authorities

We should stand up, give the LTTE the middle finger and tell them, however much you try, however long you go on, we are simply not going to let you affect or disrupt our way of life, we will not be terrorized, so bring it on.

thats the only way terrorism can be defeated. And we Sri Lankans are a very resilient people.