• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Petrol 90 Octane Or 95 Octane ???

nahsor16

Question

hi guys...

i've always wondered if 90 octane or 95 would give more value for money... cos to think of it at present 90 octane is 117 rupees per litre. whereas 95 octane is only about 2% more at 120 per litre. my car is a '92 toyota AE100 with 5AFE which does 11km/l city on 90 octane. will 95 octane increase my gas mileage??? if so any idea how?

hi guys...

i' my car is a '92 toyota AE100 with 5AFE which does 11km/l city on 90 octane. w

thats as much km per liter is all your gonna get from that car.. so leave it as it is- changing things may only alter the figure for the worse.

Soltron sucks. At least on newer vehicles. Tried it on our TP12 once- the damn engine started missing and had to use a injector cleaner cum octane booster to get things back to normal.

Edited by Pilawoos

this is what i have experienced..

EG8 dual carb---gained higher kmpl figure with 90 octane

Honda EG8 VTEC--- gained a higher kmpl fugure with 90 octane

Honda EK3 non VTEC-- same

it may depend on the car bc one of my friends said that his auto N16 car did more KMPL with 95 octane...

Edited by GearHead

hi guys...

i've always wondered if 90 octane or 95 would give more value for money... cos to think of it at present 90 octane is 117 rupees per litre. whereas 95 octane is only about 2% more at 120 per litre. my car is a '92 toyota AE100 with 5AFE which does 11km/l city on 90 octane. will 95 octane increase my gas mileage??? if so any idea how?

It all depends on the vehicle,

Tried 95octane in a Corolla 121 got more milage.

Pumped 95 to our Mrach yesterday to check how well it perform on 95. Its too early to comment since I haven't done much milage yet.

Pump a full tank of 95 & give it a try. Nothing to loose :)

It depends on the vehicle. You really don't need a higher octane than required. Sometimes, you may even do worst 'cos you'll just be losing power due to the factory set timing (higher octane burns slower so you need more advanced timing for a higher octane fuel). You really need to have the engine built/tuned to get the full potential of a higher octane fuel. Save your money and have a nice snack everytime you fill up.

Edited by Mean Green z28

Guys get down to this world. After all can we belive the authorities in a contry like SL will really give us the genuine item as promissed. They say "listen its 95oct". and "its 90oct". But god knows what we really get. Has anybody tested the content of this to say yesssss... go ahead and pump 95 if you r the type of guy whos willing to pay 1000 for the price of 1.hahaha.....

Several car tuners in sl told me to pump 95 oct including Mr.Dhammika, zackie so that i could achive more milages and good for the engine stuf..blah....blah...blahh...But u know whot i think...

ITS ALL BULL SHIT>>>ALL OF IT>>>JUST LIKE THE GOVERMENT :violent-smiley-030:

make sence save some abd buy some candy...like he has commented :angry-smiley-048:

hi guys...

If you're Driving in heavy traffic in colombo then theres no point of pumping 95 Octane to your car. things might change if you going outside long trips. i have experienced it in my car which is 1.8 Corolla (VVTi), you can get extra couple of miles pumping 95 Octane when you driving outside colombo. :jumping-smiley-013:

Driving In Colombo = 90Octane

Long Distance = 95 Octane

If you're Driving in heavy traffic in colombo then theres no point of pumping 95 Octane to your car. things might change if you going outside long trips. i have experienced it in my car which is 1.8 Corolla (VVTi), you can get extra couple of miles pumping 95 Octane when you driving outside colombo. :jumping-smiley-013:

Well, you're going to get better mileage outside the city nomatter what octane fuel you use 'cos there's less traffic and you're moving at a more fuel efficient speed, so unless you say that it was back to back runs in the same car in the same weather conditions on the same road with the same amount of traffic with the exact same throttle input throughout the whole journey ... you just can't prove it was the higher octane that helped get more mileage out of a tank. Maybe you did get better mileage, but did that percentage in mileage improvement offset the cost of the initial purchase of the higher octane fuel?

Here in the US, the only good thing about using a better fuel is the additives each company uses in their fuel to keep engine deposit buildup to a minimum (i.e. - carbon buildup in the intake/valves/etc.). Even then, it's more of a marketing ploy to get people to buy their brand.

Edited by Mean Green z28

thanks for the feedback guys... guess i'll try it out and see.

btw, what do you think about this Enzyme Fuel Treatment product that Ceypetco is promoting "Soltron"?

it boasts of extra gas mileage by adding 1ml to every 1L of petrol.

Anyone think Soltron with 90 octane is wise?

Do you use both 90 & 95 depending on where you go. I don't think it will help at all!

Btw the VVti Corolla anyway does extreamly well on long distance trips even if you run on 90 Octane.

Hmmm not a very helpful article. First he does not say what happens if you put a lower octane fuel into an engine that demands a higher one. And he's not an expert :( !

My experience too is that it varies from car to car. My previous Mazda Familia gave me a higher mileage on 90. While the with the Alfa it's the reverse.

Hmmm not a very helpful article. First he does not say what happens if you put a lower octane fuel into an engine that demands a higher one. And he's not an expert :( !

My experience too is that it varies from car to car. My previous Mazda Familia gave me a higher mileage on 90. While the with the Alfa it's the reverse.

I'd have to agree with meangreen. From what I understand, the higher the octane rating, the greater the fuel's tolerence to heat. i.e - more power needed to ignite the same amount of fuel, which will prolly reduce the efficiency of the process overall.

lol arc bro im kinda new here (actly i joined today) and i wz js kidding lol. great start huh? lol by the way re: the topic,

honestly i pump Octane 95, only if 90 isnt available. i dont find any big difference between those two but some peepz say tht 95 works better and its more clean n bla bla bla. anyway if u got a brandnew engine i think u better go for 95 octane as it is more cleaner than 90.

Edited by raveen

I'd have to agree with meangreen. From what I understand, the higher the octane rating, the greater the fuel's tolerence to heat. i.e - more power needed to ignite the same amount of fuel, which will prolly reduce the efficiency of the process overall.

I guess the above isn't an issue when the engine is running high compression ratios or is running a forced induction system (super charger or turbo charger)

I guess the above isn't an issue when the engine is running high compression ratios or is running a forced induction system (super charger or turbo charger)

true. but doesn't that mean putting higher-than-required octane fuel would negatively effect n/a vehicles?

lol arc bro im kinda new here (actly i joined today) and i wz js kidding lol. great start huh? lol by the way re: the topic,

honestly i pump Octane 95, only if 90 isnt available. i dont find any big difference between those two but some peepz say tht 95 works better and its more clean n bla bla bla. anyway if u got a brandnew engine i think u better go for 95 octane as it is more cleaner than 90.

don't worry bro, was just kidding around :D... welcome.

at the end of it bro, I think you best pump what your engine needs. most of the newer vehicles require 95 oct but not all...

by 'cleaner' i assume you mean 'less lead'?

don't worry bro, was just kidding around :D... welcome.

at the end of it bro, I think you best pump what your engine needs. most of the newer vehicles require 95 oct but not all...

by 'cleaner' i assume you mean 'less lead'?

yeap exactly, "less lead" lol :angry-smiley-048:

Basically, IMHO, if the manual says use 95, then thats what you should do, regardless. If not, then its worth experimenting and seeing for yourself if its worth it. Gains and losses will depend on you driving style and driving conditions, so only you can judge if its feasible to switch.

Well I have another issue.. There are color standards for 90, 95 and diesel rite? eg: Yellow=90 Octane petrol / Red= 95 Octane Petrol

and Dark Blue = Diesel.. I just noticed that on the back of my petrol lid its RED color.. does that say that, I should

pump 95 octane? or is it just a colour? I dont have any idea what the user manual says as I dont have a manual, anyway I use a FB14.

:jumping-smiley-013: comments plz...

Edited by raveen

Well I have another issue.. There are color standards for 90, 95 and diesel rite? eg: Yellow=90 Octane petrol / Red= 95 Octane Petrol

and Dark Blue = Diesel.. I just noticed that on the back of my petrol lid its RED color.. does that say that, I should

pump 95 octane? or is it just a colour? I dont have any idea what the user manual says as I dont have a manual, anyway I use a FB14.

:jumping-smiley-013: comments plz...

Good observation... never came to mind if fuel lid can give any clu about about the type of fuel. But if its true it should be common in all vehicles or atleast vehicles manufactured in one reigon.