• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Oem Keyless Entry Transmitters!!!

Ruslan

Thought of adding another OEM remote for my car... have you guys ever purchased new remotes from ebay ever..? i want to make sure these will work with my car.. but then again these ones for US market Corolla.. :blink:. i checked with the dealers they say it would cost around 16,000/- per key. :angry-smiley-048: you can get a OEM keys for like 2000/- from ebay. what do you guys think? :ninja:

Hi Rulsan,

I have been having the same dilemma myself, because my car needs a new key and the Ebay sellers seem so much cheaper,

The thing is if they are able to figure out the remote you need using your VIN number or using the FCC ID on the back of the current remote, and they also agree to ship directly to SL, then it will most probably work in my opinion, or you can always send it back and get a refund.

The problem is most JDM vehicle remotes do not have this FCC ID, and they cannot locate the proper remote using the VIN number.

Has anybody replaced a remote on a Mitsubishi in SL, as in does anybody how much ######## charge for a replacement remote ?

Regards,

The Don

Hi Rulsan,

I have been having the same dilemma myself, because my car needs a new key and the Ebay sellers seem so much cheaper,

The thing is if they are able to figure out the remote you need using your VIN number or using the FCC ID on the back of the current remote, and they also agree to ship directly to SL, then it will most probably work in my opinion, or you can always send it back and get a refund.

The problem is most JDM vehicle remotes do not have this FCC ID, and they cannot locate the proper remote using the VIN number.

Has anybody replaced a remote on a Mitsubishi in SL, as in does anybody how much ######## charge for a replacement remote ?

Regards,

The Don

Yeah, most of the JDM market Vehicles come with Non FOB (The Transmitter, Buttons in key head not in the tag) types. so it hard to find a FCC number or any number. Don, did u ask the dealers (UML)?

Yeah, most of the JDM market Vehicles come with Non FOB (The Transmitter, Buttons in key head not in the tag) types. so it hard to find a FCC number or any number. Don, did u ask the dealers (UML)?

No, I didn't, as I was trying to look for it elswhere, and too scared of the price,

Also places like Sunlanka offered to fit in a keyless entry system for my car replacing the existing system for 4500/= and for a bit more even get some extra options like keeyless boot release .... so its a difficult decision spend 20K on the key when you don't know if the receiver is still working or fit an after market system.

Incidentally those bods have all sorts of remotes, they can make any remote to fit any car, but they need to know the details of the receiver, and if they do find a match on the VIN (chassy number) then there might be a chance they can make a remote for you.

Most cars have to be programmed to the remote, not the other way like you think (most cars). You just have to make sure your car can receive that certain range of frequency, hence the range of remotes available.

It's something like you jump a wire between two of your OBD port pins and then press the remote button and then the vehicle will remember it ... atleast, that's how it was on my car.

Can you ask someone who has a similar car to yours if you can take a look at their remote and figure out what numbers they have on it? It's not like you can steal their code by looking at it. Even though the model number maybe the same, the transmitting code will be different.

Edited by Mean Green z28

Most cars have to be programmed to the remote, not the other way like you think (most cars). You just have to make sure your car can receive that certain range of frequency, hence the range of remotes available.

It's something like you jump a wire between two of your OBD port pins and then press the remote button and then the vehicle will remember it ... atleast, that's how it was on my car.

Can you ask someone who has a similar car to yours if you can take a look at their remote and figure out what numbers they have on it? It's not like you can steal their code by looking at it. Even though the model number maybe the same, the transmitting code will be different.

Mean green, the problem is not one of programming, that part at least we have sorted out. But like you said a manufacturer needs to know the frequency range and code ranges before they can produce a replacement remote, and there a specialty companies who do that in the US. Our problem is since our cars are JDM, the remotes never had a FCC ID (which is only required if the cars were sold to the US) and our VIN Numbers are not in their database so they can't identify using their databases of vehicles the suitable frequency and code ranges for our vehicles !!!

Of course people who regularly deal with JDM vehicles would be more helpful but I haven't found any.

the problem is not one of programming, that part at least we have sorted out. But like you said a manufacturer needs to know the frequency range and code ranges before they can produce a replacement remote, and there a specialty companies who do that in the US. Our problem is since our cars are JDM, the remotes never had a FCC ID (which is only required if the cars were sold to the US) and our VIN Numbers are not in their database so they can't identify using their databases of vehicles the suitable frequency and code ranges for our vehicles !!!

Hi Don,

In fact the frequency range is well known. But each time when you press the remote key the code it sends is different and it’s a random number. Only the receiver (Car) and the transmitter (key) know the next number. (This is called pseudo-random number in mathematics). So it is useless to spy the code by another receiver. The probability of guessing the next correct code is one in a trillion!!, if it is a 40 bits code.

Even if you bring down such a key, your car has to be re-programmed by negotiating with the key to agree on the parameters of the algorithm to generate random code. Each and every key uses it’s own unique parameters irrespective of the car model, so that the no two systems will be the same.

Hi Don,

In fact the frequency range is well known. But each time when you press the remote key the code it sends is different and it’s a random number. Only the receiver (Car) and the transmitter (key) know the next number. (This is called pseudo-random number in mathematics). So it is useless to spy the code by another receiver. The probability of guessing the next correct code is one in a trillion!!, if it is a 40 bits code.

Even if you bring down such a key, your car has to be re-programmed by negotiating with the key to agree on the parameters of the algorithm to generate random code. Each and every key uses it’s own unique parameters irrespective of the car model, so that the no two systems will be the same.

Hi yes whatever, you are quite right, and the keys can be programmed as long as they follow the same protocol, the code transmitted by the key still need to be understood by the receiver, which is why you can't take any remote and program it to work with a receiver. Programming a remote with the correct communication protocol (or the set of rules ) is the problem