• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Xenon Headlights

Sha7

Question

• Answers 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

No offence to you GihanFx and your friend but i must say that i agree with Mazdaspeed.Its one thing that you inrease your visibility but I seriously think it should not be at the expense of the other s.

Also you very well know the morons who are drving on our roads and some may go to some extreme action sometimes if they get pissed off by actions as this and can cause serious accidents and injuries to everyone.

No offence to you GihanFx and your friend but i must say that i agree with Mazdaspeed.Its one thing that you inrease your visibility but I seriously think it should not be at the expense of the other s.

Also you very well know the morons who are drving on our roads and some may go to some extreme action sometimes if they get pissed off by actions as this and can cause serious accidents and injuries to everyone.

gotta agree with you and mazdaspeed.

its really annnoying if yor're driving on a road thats not lit, and someone comes up with 100W bulbs sceaming in your eyes, you dont see anything else exept the freakish white spot to your right.

And the worst comes afterwards, when the vehicle has gone past you, but your eyes still havent adjusted to the darkness yet. And you dont see S***.... you could easily have an accident at that time.. i myself hve run into a a good 2 or 3 pot-holes under these conditinos...

and i agree common-road manners to dim the lights when someone flashes at you is almost comepltely disapeared.

I'm sure designers of HID lights thought of this issue and incorporated some sort of remedy, but i guess the cheaper brands simply did away with it to cut costs. Afterall, if car manufacturers themselves fit these there has to be some form of way to dim them.

BTW, something i learnt through experience, if you're going got higer wattage bulbs, use a relay. I dont know if it increases the brightness, but it prevents the wiring from getting fried. Cos from the A'Level physics i remember, W=V*I and V is a constant, so when W increaes I does too. And if the car's electric system cant handle this it'll fry your wiring and not to mention the bulb holder sockets. and trust me if the bulb socket melts its HELL trying to remove the bulb which literally gets glued with melted plastic..

Edited by Dilesh

Nothing personal here people....but if i get a driver coming head on with main beams on- i will cut straight onto him(unless its a bus or a lorry :rolleyes: . We must respect other road users...the main beams make you blind and low vehicle drivers virtually cant see a damn thing when they happen to go through this. Its not a good attitude..

Most of my Friends car's have HID, but as i know the most beautiful light is the chrome Blue color, its amazing but cant see the road even the entire road glow with blue color, anyway this bulb dnt have head and dim it only has one so this set is completely road illegal and when driving with this light can see all others flasing their head lights,

Does this mean that I won't be able dim lights if I replace bulbs with xenon? :unsure:

Edited by Sha7

I m not starting a fight here but if you cut straight to a driver with high beam on you are doing a really bad thing lakshank because it will increase the possibility of an accident and worse an innocent bystandard like a pedestrian could get hurt because of that.I know its not good attitude to disrespect fellow drivers but what you do is not a good thing either

Nothing personal though man......

Edited by hornet

can u guys tell some places to buy good Xenon lights and price range ???? thanks

Don t know about the price range but you can several types of Xenon light down at M#to# C%de! I think they have deferent kind s of brand s in several price ranges!

Hope the moderator s don t mind posting a Place!! :unsure:

Does this mean that I won't be able dim lights if I replace bulbs with xenon? :unsure:

Depends on what you mean by "dim lights"... if your car is equipped with a dual unit (head & dip separate) then you install the HID for the dip. (like in the mercs)

Or if the car has a single unit (head & dip in one unit) then u need to buy the HID kit for both functionalities. either way there's no issue, as long as you don't drive with your head beams constantly ON. (else u might have an AL member ram into you.. :angry-smiley-048: )

BTW, something i learnt through experience, if you're going got higer wattage bulbs, use a relay. I dont know if it increases the brightness, but it prevents the wiring from getting fried. Cos from the A'Level physics i remember, W=V*I and V is a constant, so when W increaes I does too. And if the car's electric system cant handle this it'll fry your wiring and not to mention the bulb holder sockets. and trust me if the bulb socket melts its HELL trying to remove the bulb which literally gets glued with melted plastic..

i can vouch for this. replaced my standard headlamps with "miracle white" higher output halagen's on my old car. the result within a few months my headlamp holder was completely burnt out and I had to end up replacing the wire harness as well. lucklily i managed to find an electician who rigged up a new holder but that was after much looking around. all the electicians i went to couldn't seem to be too bothered to fix the problem.

Trust it to be a m**** with a Honda! Drive like m******, sound like m*****, look like m***** and now .... :rolleyes:

(Not all, before everyone starts taking it personally)

Personally hate this coz I DO have a low car and whoever the idiot who designed Indian buses thought it'll be a good idea to have the lights even higher than my roof line, so even low beams are difficult to deal with at close range.

I get around it by using Mojaves. And I get very bad tempered when I forget them!

Hid lights are mostly fitted to the dipped beams as these are the most used. Main beams light up plenty when needed. When I learnt to drive in SL I was thaught to dip(not dim) the head lights whenever there was an oncoming vehicle. Additionally I was told Main beam was used to drive on un lit roads when there was no on coming traffic. So unless I know otherwise it appears we have completely ignored the simple road rules and manners. I am not surprised as my last few visits made me aware that driving in SL was a sure way to put your self at serious risk. We even seem to ignore stop signs at junctions and Zebra(pedestrian)crossing are overtaking zones for the thugs who drive 3 wheelers and buses. At a roundabout just go and hope the others stop! Please guys try and promote a little road courtsey and safety even in a small way in this forum as better manners on the road gets all of us there faster as well as safer.

To me HID lights in colombo=waste of money

For driving in the outstations , well adjusted HID lights with clean light lenses=Brilliant

sure way to put your self at serious risk. We even seem to ignore stop signs at junctions and Zebra(pedestrian)crossing are overtaking zones for the thugs who drive 3 wheelers and buses. At a roundabout just go and hope the others stop! Please guys try and promote a little road courtsey and safety even in a small way in this forum as better manners on the road gets all of us there faster as well as safer.

To me HID lights in colombo=waste of money

For driving in the outstations , well adjusted HID lights with clean light lenses=Brilliant

Could not agree with you more so – I too was out of the country just for a short period just over 2 years and there has been a big difference in basic driving principles. People are just plain selfish , arrogant. My friends think that I’m not all that right in my head as I turn in to Hide ( jackal & hide ) when I get in to my car. I too am starting to wonder if I’m mentally unbalanced now :action-smiley-060: – friends keep saying just ignore it.

It’s gone to a situation where I had a MARUTI driver trying to overtake me from the left sides whilst I was having my signal lights to turn to the left – He also has the nerve to make gestures at me - :violent-smiley-099: Who;’s to blame – Firstly the mushroom driving schools, no proper police ( there only so much they can do as we got bigger problems – feel sorry at time for the Kochi’s <_< ) As they say Banana Republic

I feel one of these days I may be in serious trouble - with the law and having to live in a prision cell

In my experience...you rarely need your head beams if you're driving in colombo cos most of the roads are lit and with the sort of traffic we have here you rarely need to see or get the chance to see more than a few hundred feet ahead of you...

My stock low beam lights enough for me to drive around most of the roads i go in due the lower speeds we have to stick to by law or due the road conditions...

I only use my main beams when i'm over a "certain" speed limit when i need more time to react to whatever that's on the road etc.

The problem with lotsa of freaks on the roads these days are they are permanently on their mains :violent-smiley-099:

God knows why cos you don't need all that lighting power to light up and already lit road...sheer ignorance, stupidity and lack of respect for others...

Sadly most of these goons are the ones with better cars than the average driver...I've had freaks coming behind me with their head on blinding the crap out of cos all you see from all 3 rearview mirrors are a big bright white blob... Lots of SUV grade A a**H*l*S do this...

First i want to get back at these bast***s by hooking up even a rear fog light aimed high and front two fogs aimed high again solely for these punks... but now i've gradually learnt to just let the punk go and pray he gets what's coming to him :angry-smiley-048:

On the topic of non_HID lights...

I bought PIAA H3 lights for my offroad bike from www.bajadesigns.com

The PIAA brand choice was purely an accident since i bought a lighting upgrade kit from them which came with the PIAA bulb... And i was a believer the moment i fired up my bike with the way it improved my lighting power :)

PIAA H4's start from US$45 upwards for a twin pack...the higher the kelvin number higher the price... The highest i saw was for US$80 or something...

Shipping from USA will cost you about 25 dollars more...

If you're buying from ebay...be very careful cos there are lots of counterfeit products. I bought once from ebay and the lights lost their brilliance within a few weeks and ended up being worse than the normal bulbs...

And on buying HID kits on ebay...

You do get the kit with high/low beams but most of these kits come only with the bulbs, wiring and the other electrics like the ballast etc

these kits rarely come with the proper lighting housing and without the right projection system...HID will just throw light all over the place...

IMHO... people shouldn't use HID's on normal housing cos it doesn't really harness the power of HID's and will be such an obstacle to oncoming traffic...

The full kit with the lenses are pretty steeply priced but i saw a few on ebay claiming they were original JDM models...

Sadly most of these goons are the ones with better cars than the average driver...

U know, I've noticed that. Wondered if they are using the auto setting, which is switching on the high beams manually. Not really sure how that works. Should tested it while Max had the BM, that had automatic lights.

Anyone know if the automatic lights just switch on the low beams or if it switches to the high ones too?

U know, I've noticed that. Wondered if they are using the auto setting, which is switching on the high beams manually. Not really sure how that works. Should tested it while Max had the BM, that had automatic lights.

Anyone know if the automatic lights just switch on the low beams or if it switches to the high ones too?

i've got auto lights and they just switch on low beams. the parking lights come on if its still relatively bright. high beams can only be swtiched on manually.

i've got auto lights and they just switch on low beams. the parking lights come on if its still relatively bright. high beams can only be swtiched on manually.

I have the same issue with guys behind using their head lights- I tilt the mirror but then I get the light in my eyes through the side mirrors - So It’s plain stupidity and ignorance rather arrogance of these drivers since we know they auto light up on low beam mode.

Members please try to avoid using your head’s all the time – Like ripper said if you’re driving a long stretch /outstation then do but try to dip it when you get oncoming traffic.

Ripper – Thanks for the info – So u have sourced it from out of SL. In that case I may have to look around SL to see if I get some.

Any 1 know if Philips (H4) are good ?

Peri

Do you drive a VZR? One of my buddies driving a sky250GT has had a friendly revving session with a VZR today morning.... wondering whether it was you :)

one question bugatti when you say "unit" what do you mean?Is it the bulb or the headlight unit or something else?Sorry if the question is dumb :action-smiley-060:

UNIT meaning the head light fitting, some cars have the Head and Dip separately.. like the new Mazda3 or even the 121.. (most new cars basically) Older cars have them together.. (bulb has Two filaments)

I have the same issue with guys behind using their head lights- I tilt the mirror but then I get the light in my eyes through the side mirrors - So It’s plain stupidity and ignorance rather arrogance of these drivers since we know they auto light up on low beam mode.

Members please try to avoid using your head’s all the time – Like ripper said if you’re driving a long stretch /outstation then do but try to dip it when you get oncoming traffic.

Ripper – Thanks for the info – So u have sourced it from out of SL. In that case I may have to look around SL to see if I get some.

Any 1 know if Philips (H4) are good ?

MazadaSpeed

Hey if you find PIAA's here in SL... gimme a holler :) Don't mind upgrading my stanley H4's :)

Does anybody else know of a place in SL to buy PIAA's????