• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Xenon Headlights

Sha7

Question

• Answers 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

To my knowledge:

Xenon bulbs are just straight replacements. you dont need to do any modifications. I had xenon 100 W in my defender and it has a very whitish brightness. But ive heard of this new type call HID lights which are used in mercs and shouguns. they have a kind of a transformer to power it up and its extremely bright. They are available in sri lanka but very expensive (as far as know). Those HIDs are very distinctive as they dont turn up like the normal halogens. I wanted to switch to the HIDs but changed my mind coz they are hard to maintain as to a deep waders point of view.

my electrician said if i had two relays for the two head lamps it will be even more brighter....not sure as to which extent this is true....but it does make some sense...

experts...shed some light please

Edited by lakshank

Can xenon lights be fitted on a vehicle which originally comes with halogen bulbs? Is it safe for the electrical circuits?

If possible i d also like to know the price of a pair and a good place to get.Thanks :jumping-smiley-013:

It is not the proper way to do so due to some differences between the normal light rays and the Xenon light rays...

But you can just replace the bulb without harming circuits if you choose bulbs with the correct wattage.

Edited by Sha7

Xenon light s are just mere replasable bulbs that can be fitted in any of vehicles that have bulbs in it! Although if your car has a sealed bean kind of of light then of course you have to replace the whole light it self! Like Lakshank said HID system s are there but it is very expensive! But although that also can be fitted any of the cars ! It will replace your whole wire ring system for the Head lights! These will cost around 25000! you can get a Normal set of Xenon bulbs for about 1200 Maybe!

It will depend on the quality of the Bulbs!

I was just going to ask you what you ment by "not the proper way" but you ve already edited your post.Tnkx Sha7

any idea about a good place to look for?I ve seen the bulbs DJ Shan mention for the same price but are they actually good?What i heard is that they are not actual xenon bulbs but just a colored halogen bulb.Is it true?

Edited by hornet

To my knowledge:

Xenon bulbs are just straight replacements. you dont need to do any modifications. I had xenon 100 W in my defender and it has a very whitish brightness. But ive heard of this new type call HID lights which are used in mercs and shouguns. they have a kind of a transformer to power it up and its extremely bright. They are available in sri lanka but very expensive (as far as know). Those HIDs are very distinctive as they dont turn up like the normal halogens. I wanted to switch to the HIDs but changed my mind coz they are hard to maintain as to a deep waders point of view.

my electrician said if i had two relays for the two head lamps it will be even more brighter....not sure as to which extent this is true....but it does make some sense...

experts...shed some light please

High Intensity Discharge or HID's for short doesn't have a filament but rather ignites the gas that's filled in it across two electrode thingies... This needs higher power hence the reason for the extra electronics to support them like the igniter coils and ballasts etc that come with an HID system...

But as far as i know...just putting in an HID light and electrics won't give you full use of the HID lighting since you need the HID light housing lenses etc...

I think HID's have a system to aim the beams also so when the vehicle gets loaded it can automatically compensate for that and keep your beams true...

And the other good thing with HID's is that they don't heat up like your halogens do so most of the electrical power is converted to lighting power without too much of a loss....

And in terms of color... there are xenon filled normal bulbs from PIAA etc that gives you different color temperatures... I have used the ice blue PIAA H3's on my bikes and they are pretty darn good... A 4000K rated bulb is usually in the ice blue color area and as the kelvin number goes up it turn more into blue and then into violet... you get 6000k, 8000k etc so chances are that you can at least get close to the HID appearance by choosing the correct color temp number...

Please correct me if i'm wrong...just writing this out from my dodgy memory :)

I was just going to ask you what you ment by "not the proper way" but you ve already edited your post.Tnkx Sha7

any idea about a good place to look for?I ve seen the bulbs DJ Shan mention for the same price but are they actually good?What i heard is that they are not actual xenon bulbs but just a colored halogen bulb.Is it true?

yes you do get the blue film coated halo's that they sell as xenons... instead of being brighter these actually dull the light even more by creating that blue barrier to get the bluish light.

you get these on lotsa vans some riced up cars etc but the lighting power of these are not that great... at times worse than that of the usual halogen lights

The true Xenon bulbs are filled with a mixture of gas that has a certain quantity of Xenon gas to produce the color range their after...

I think the types of gases used and their ratios determine the kelvin temp or the tint of color they produce...

I would put my money on PIAA's... so far the best bulbs i've used :)

But i'm sure other members also can chime in :)

Nice info tnx gys but if the mods allow can you guys post contact details of good auto electrician(s) who knows how to do the conversion because i guess that ll be helpful for all who are interested. ;)

There's no need of an electrician to replace the bulb. It's a simple task.

Was able to find the following video of installing a conversion Kit

Nice info tnx gys but if the mods allow can you guys post contact details of good auto electrician(s) who knows how to do the conversion because i guess that ll be helpful for all who are interested. ;)

Yes that would help

I too would like to know about how we can go about replacing the current bulbs with xenon bulbs. I was told to use a relay and that would help. As mentioned by Devinda. One concern I have is that if I use say 90w/100w would my plastic headlight lence get damaged ?

Or would a xenon 55/60W give out more light than the standard halogen bulb ? This was talked about somewhere else but I’m confused at the moment

Hellllpppp pls.

Yes that would help

I too would like to know about how we can go about replacing the current bulbs with xenon bulbs. I was told to use a relay and that would help. As mentioned by Devinda. One concern I have is that if I use say 90w/100w would my plastic headlight lence get damaged ?

Or would a xenon 55/60W give out more light than the standard halogen bulb ? This was talked about somewhere else but I’m confused at the moment

Hellllpppp pls.

Yes it will damage your plastic cover and the the clip that is plugged in to the bulb! I am saying this coz i my self had to replace the some parts of ma head light s from the damage caused by the excessive heat of those bulbs!

Yes that would help

Hellllpppp pls.

well in my experience... a PIAA standard Xenon 55W H3 bulb out performed the Stanley Halo i had stock by leaps and bounds.

Certain brands give you better lighting power though they use the same wattage and at times similar technology...

a higher wattage bulb is not the ideal representation of lighting power...it just says the electric power they consume.

And the other thing is you would need a more heavy duty wiring harness to safely handle the current loads if you're going to a higher wattage bulb over the factory recommended specs

Yes it will damage your plastic cover and the the clip that is plugged in to the bulb! I am saying this coz i my self had to replace the some parts of ma head light s from the damage caused by the excessive heat of those bulbs!

Thanks for the warning ...DJ - ooops sorry to hear abt that ....

Thanks to u too Ripper-

so the a higher watt is not necessarily good Would be good to use a PIAA then with a standard 55W. Did u get them locally ? What's the cost - I suppose it would be high but can't grumble ( can't have everything neda ? )

sorry to hear what happened to you DJ but thanks a mill for shareing the bad experience so that there wont be another :rolleyes:

By the way do you i d like to come back to the original question.Is it illegal to use those blubs(xenon/HID)? :blink:

Best way to get a HID kit is through eBay. I've got down a kit from my friend. it costs me around 5000/- this is for a Corolla. The Holder model for that one is H4. so if you wanna get down a Kit make sure your holder (H number) compatible with buying model. you can plug in directly into your headlight holder. it's a small Do-It-Yourself Job. :rolleyes: (By the way, don't fool yourself to those cheap blue colored bulbs. these are just cheap Taiwan brand bulbs. those bulbs are worse than your Original Koito/ Stanley/ Phillips Halogen Bulbs. when time goes by the blue color will eventually faded away. n point of replacing you original bulbs with these cheap bulbs.)

Edited by Ruslan

Most of my Friends car's have HID, but as i know the most beautiful light is the chrome Blue color, its amazing but cant see the road even the entire road glow with blue color, anyway this bulb dnt have head and dim it only has one so this set is completely road illegal and when driving with this light can see all others flasing their head lights,

So thesedays if any of u see a maroon Honda Ek3 with chrome Blue HID pls forgive us , lol

The Normal 8000K HID kit is very gud, can see the road well and have head and Dim option too, cost around 30000 Rs,

Hi Guys,

I see a few cars fitted as standard with HID lights. They should be fitted with some form of head light wash system at least to keep the lenses clean as this light deflects very easily leading to poor visibility for you and dazzle for any on coming driver-both very dangerous. The road is not just you! Many others on it.

I have seen the conversion kit for standard lights-complete with the transformers that you need to get these lights started. If fitted to a dipped beam lamp on a twin head light arrangement they work well. The light output is good and set up correctly will not dazzle other and give you good visibility. Make sure the transformer is fitted in a place that can cool it and not in contact with anything damaged by its heat.

On another note hope none of you or your families had any injuries or harm from the incidents in Colombo today. My sympathies to anyone who sufferd as a result.

Maithri.

So thesedays if any of u see a maroon Honda Ek3 with chrome Blue HID pls forgive us , lol

Hay GihanFX

Seriously it's not funny mate <_< : in other countries there are laws to prevent this

So that means u can't dim the lights ? Well leaving aside your friend - most moron's don't know wat is meant by the other person flashing - some just don't have the brains to dip it - in most cases the roads are well lit and still they drive with the head.

Like Maithri said- there must be a correct way to set it up /proper units – I’m sure HID’s were not meant to blind the oncoming guy just so that the owner can see the road.

Edited by mazdaspeed