• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Eg8

2F2F

Question

15 answers to this question

SOHC refers to Single Overhead Camshaft. In the days before DOHC, it was known as OHC, with no need to differentiate between a single or double camshaft. In SOHC, the camshaft is situated in the cylinder head, above the valves. The valves are opened and closed either directly with a shim between the cam lobe and the valve stem, or via a rocker arm. SOHC engine valve configurations typically have 2 or 3 valves per cylinder. It is also possible to have 4 valves per cylinder using SOHC but this translates into a complicated combination of rocker arms and cam lobe shapes. An example would be the 4G92P in my car which is a SOHC but has 4 valves per cylinder.

DOHC refers to Double Overhead Camshaft. This arrangement uses two camshafts in each cylinder head. Two cams per cylinder head means that a DOHC V engine has 4 camshafts because it has 2 banks of cylinder heads. This allows the manufacturer to easily implement a 4 valve per cylinder setup. Most of the time it also allows the engine to rev higher. It also allows better placement of the valves in an optimized setup that gives you maximum performance. But the disadvantage of such a setup is more weight, more cost and more complexity. It takes more stuff to drive two camshafts. The main reason to use DOHC is to drive more valves per cylinder. If a SOHC setup can allow 4 valves per cylinder, having a DOHC engine will not bring that much benefits over SOHC and the additional weight becomes a burden instead. DOHC engines also allows the spark plug to be placed right in the middle of the combustion chamber. This promotes efficient combustion. With SOHC, the camshaft is usually in the middle of the head because it has to drive both the intake and exhaust valves, robbing the sparkplug of it’s optimal location.

Hope above is comprehensive & clear. Thanks to http://paultan.org/archives/2005/06/22/soh...hc-valvetrains/

SOHC refers to Single Overhead Camshaft. In the days before DOHC, it was known as OHC, with no need to differentiate between a single or double camshaft. In SOHC, the camshaft is situated in the cylinder head, above the valves. The valves are opened and closed either directly with a shim between the cam lobe and the valve stem, or via a rocker arm. SOHC engine valve configurations typically have 2 or 3 valves per cylinder. It is also possible to have 4 valves per cylinder using SOHC but this translates into a complicated combination of rocker arms and cam lobe shapes. An example would be the 4G92P in my car which is a SOHC but has 4 valves per cylinder.

DOHC refers to Double Overhead Camshaft. This arrangement uses two camshafts in each cylinder head. Two cams per cylinder head means that a DOHC V engine has 4 camshafts because it has 2 banks of cylinder heads. This allows the manufacturer to easily implement a 4 valve per cylinder setup. Most of the time it also allows the engine to rev higher. It also allows better placement of the valves in an optimized setup that gives you maximum performance. But the disadvantage of such a setup is more weight, more cost and more complexity. It takes more stuff to drive two camshafts. The main reason to use DOHC is to drive more valves per cylinder. If a SOHC setup can allow 4 valves per cylinder, having a DOHC engine will not bring that much benefits over SOHC and the additional weight becomes a burden instead. DOHC engines also allows the spark plug to be placed right in the middle of the combustion chamber. This promotes efficient combustion. With SOHC, the camshaft is usually in the middle of the head because it has to drive both the intake and exhaust valves, robbing the sparkplug of it’s optimal location.

Hope above is comprehensive & clear. Thanks to http://paultan.org/archives/2005/06/22/soh...hc-valvetrains/

What is your car as I am curious about the models which came with the 4G92 and does it have Mivec ?

DOHC has an advantage over SOHC in terms of flexibility with regards to fuel economy, as it provides for a larger variation of set ups to suite different situations. It must also be mentioned before the time of electronic variable valve control systems it was DOHC which provided a form of dynamically variable valve control. DOHC engines also have higher horse power outputs in stock form compared to their SOHC cousins though in reality SOHC engines have the potential to be tuned to match or exceed DOHC performance figures as some SOHC Hondas in SL bear testament to.

Thanks for the Info bro....Do u knw wht Stud Bar is for??

A strut bar or strut brace is a mostly aftermarket car suspension accessory used in conjunction with MacPherson struts on monocoque or unibody chassis to provide extra strength between the strut towers.

With a MacPherson strut suspension system where the spring and shock absorber are combined in the one suspension unit, the entire vertical suspension load is transmitted to the top of the vehicle's strut tower, unlike a double wishbone suspension where the spring and shock absorber may share the load separately. In general terms, a strut tower in a monocoque chassis is a reinforced portion of the inner wheel well and is not necessarily directly connected to the main chassis rails. For this reason there is inherent flex within the strut towers relative to the chassis rails.

A strut bar is designed to reduce this strut tower flex by tying two parallel strut towers together. This transmits the load of each strut tower during cornering via tension and compression of the strut bar which shares the load between both towers and reduces chassis flex.

On the Saab Sonett mk2 and mk3 the overflow container for the cooling system doubles as a strut bar.

Performance: Resulting from the improved chassis rigidity (similar to that gained from a lower tie bar); may be improved steering precision under high load conditions (cornering and braking). Reduced understeer, tire wear and metal fatigue in the strut tower area may also be experienced.

you can find more in here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strut_bar

You should make use of google and search these things and find them out ! :)

Machan hw much it will cost me to put up a stud?

Once someone is nice enough to correctly point out its Strut, ur expected to go with that. There are several different ways to interpret "put up a stud" and only one is polite.

On the topic at hand. Why? Personally, I'm not a big fan of people hearing words in the wild, modding cars and thinking they have a car that can down a Ferrari and generally making a nuisance of themselves on the road. First, Learn. Then think of what you want to do if you want to do anything. I don't have too much hope that you will, based on ur choice of name and car, not to mention comments on this thread, but its worth saying.

Machan hw much it will cost me to put up a stud?

a strut bar would cost you approximately 4500/- to 15k, depending on what quality you expect. however, if handling is your concern, then a strut bar would come after upgraded rims, tyres and shocks.

like gearhead mentioned, a swap would take you to the 125k to 135k region. (i'm speaking with experience of a ek3 vtec swap. not sure of the electricals that need to be switched in a carb model). i've heard people claim to be able to do it for under 100k as well. So reserch well before you commit.

a strut bar would cost you approximately 4500/- to 15k, depending on what quality you expect. however, if handling is your concern, then a strut bar would come after upgraded rims, tyres and shocks.

like gearhead mentioned, a swap would take you to the 125k to 135k region. (i'm speaking with experience of a ek3 vtec swap. not sure of the electricals that need to be switched in a carb model). i've heard people claim to be able to do it for under 100k as well. So reserch well before you commit.

Thanks bro.........

Hey ARC where did you get the strut for that price?? :unsure:

Edited by Dj shan