• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need Advice In Purchasing A Mazda Car

hornet

Hi Guys

Can anyone tell me about the reliability, ride comfort, fuel economy and the availability of the spares for Mazda Familia cars built between 1995 and 1998, especially the one called “butterfly model” in sri lanka(sorry I don’t know the exact model number)?Are there any known defects in these models eg: engine defects etc?

There s a car YOM is 1996, F/O, 301- and asking price is SLR 1.03M.Is this a good price? The car seems to be in a good condition

Thanks

Hi and welcome to AL..

I'm currently on my second Mazda, previously owned the model you are referring to (it was a 97 model though) no issues with spares.. there are authorized dealers for Mazda spares, besides the agent.

There is also a specialized garage for Mazda/Ford vehicles.

If it's a 1500cc manual, you'd probably get 10+ km/l provided you don't drive aggressively..

If the price is right and the car is in good shape, go for it. But I recommend you have a check-up done before buying.

Good luck

hi,

i recommend mazda cars for any one. i have used 4 models of mazda familia and now i'm using mzada famila BJ model. the one you're asking is my previous car. it's a very good car and only the problem is ground clearance. it is very low (around 10 cm), but on city roads it's not a big problem.

the parts will not be a problem as there are mazda part sellers at panchikawatte and the maintenance parts like oil filters, air filters can be found in any motor spare shop. better to check with car mart first if you want any part because some times you find the genuine parts with them for much more cheaper prices.

no engine defects in mazda if you maintain well. remember you must change the air filter regularly (for any vehicle) because it is the main thing to keep your engine in good condition. (i usually change in every 10,000 km)

when comes to the running conditions, if you have good tyres and perfect wheel alignment you can drive without any doubght. it's very a steady car bucause of the body shape.

fuel consumption is also good. it vary with the engine capacity. for 1300cc engine around 9km/l @ city and 14km/l outstation. for 1500cc engine it is around 11km/l in city and 13km/l outstation. (automatic transmission, running with A/C in live environment)

i cannot comment on the price as i'm not in touch with the market. but i sold my previous car (butterfly model) YOM 1997 for 1.0 mio in 2004.

so if the condition is ok i think the price is fare enough. if you can search for a 1997 model because there are some small cosmetic modification in 1997 model than 1996 one. (lights, badges, dash board, etc)

anyway MAZDA is a good brand. go for it. if available better to check maintenance records because you're going to buy a used car.

Hi Guys

Thank you both for the awsome and fast replies.I never owned a mazda and was a bit unsure as you know sri lankan car market is filled with all sort of urbn myths.

sumuduuk: are you sure about the ground clearence issue?This car seems to have a lot of clearence but you may be right.if the clearence is low isnt there anyway to increase the clearence?This is a 1500 cc manual so Iguess it will do fuel resonably well.

I ll have it inspected by a mechanic and will let you know the progress.Thanks again.

I ll have it inspected by a mechanic and will let you know the progress.Thanks again.

HI

Hope to see u soon in the MAZDA family, I’m on my 3rd Mazda but never owned your model in discussion. Over they are good reliable cars as loon as it’s been taken care of – just like everything else in life. :D

Price is a tad bit on the high side but here in banana republic (Srilanka ) I’m not surprised

If U get an interplay X model on the butterfly – go for it. It’s a whole lot more fun. Parts are plenty and there is a good guy specializing in Mazda as said by a member- .

Check for records if possible- if it’s done over 100K make sure the timing belt has been replaced, and also check for corrosion under the wheel arches / spare tyre areas as that’s the trouble spots

Good luck :grinning-smiley-003::grinning-smiley-003:

tnx mazdaspeed.What s your ride?

But now i m officially confused.I thought Interplay and butterfly model are 02 different models.Can anyone shed some light over the different models avaliable here in SL?It would be great if I can have the local names as well along with the official model numbers.

Also machan how to find the difference between interplay x model and the other models?You know in here one cant have faith on the attached badges.Are there any visible differences?If you think price is too steep what should I offer?

Once again thanks alot guys as this is really great help which never can be gained except through experience of owning mazdas.

Edited by hornet

tnx mazdaspeed.What s your ride?

But now i m officially confused.I thought Interplay and butterfly model are 02 different models.Can anyone shed some light over the different models avaliable here in SL?It would be great if I can have the local names as well along with the official model numbers.

Also machan how to find the difference between interplay x model and the other models?You know in here one cant have faith on the attached badges.Are there any visible differences?If you think price is too steep what should I offer?

Once again thanks alot guys as this is really great help which never can be gained except through experience of owning mazdas.

I am not as knowledgeable on Mazda's as mazdaspeed and sumuduk is but having owned one myself I can say they are excellent cars and can take a serious amount of abuse !

The interplay is more or less like a special edition of the Familia or 323 so every generation of familia had an interplay edition, with sporty seats, spoiler, sporty alloys, stiffer suspension and some extras

The Don

IThe interplay is more or less like a special edition of the Familia or 323 so every generation of familia had an interplay edition, with sporty seats, spoiler, sporty alloys, stiffer suspension and some extras

The Don

Agree with DON, the basic stuff such as grill and other minor items are more sportier- I was told that there is higher BHP value on the interplay - All interplays came in the 1.5L (As per my humble knowledge)

I currently drive the BJ series 323. 1.6L - nice ride got a lot of electronics- U get better upgrade capabilities with the butterfly and the predecessor

Hi Hornet, I think the particular model of the famillia your refering to is a good car. and as all the other have also mentioned, Mazda's in general are solidly built and reliable cars, that in my experience can take on our well maintained roads :rolleyes:

However have the car checked out carefully before you buy it cause outer appearances can be very deceiving. Unfortunately Honesty and Integrity are not common traits among most sellers these days.

Anyway all the very best........hope it's a good buy.

BTW, sorry to go off topic but, Mazdaspeed were you able to sort your prob out with Devaka?

BTW, sorry to go off topic but, Mazdaspeed were you able to sort your prob out with Devaka?

Hi...

U referring to the gear issue... got that sorted out with my old place.

Tune up is still on hold... just don't get a time to fix it- something more urgent always keeps coming up- since it does not directly effect the drive of the car I too am easy to sway off and attend to something else. Just put some sun visors (I think that's what they are called) on the 4 doors looks nice.

Cheers

Sorry for the late reply guys

Thanks a lot Don/mazdaspeed for the clarifications. Today I spotted a butterfly interplay x model.Dont know if it’s a real interplay x but it was a red one with interplay x stickers on both sides of the car. Must say from outside it looked very similar to the normal version apart from the rear spoiler. I never had any chance to have a look at the interior as I was in the traffic ;-(

You are very correct about some car owners and the most of car sales people. Looks can be really deceiving in SL for sure. Also I m really surprised about the price difference between Toyotas and other makes. I was looking for a car for few weeks and followed the market prices (or at least the prices quoted by the owners and the sales guys) and am really surprised that asking price for a 92 corolla is very similar to a 96 Mazda. It’s really a sad picture to see that people think only Toyota makes good cars.

Any way I m putting together all your suggestions and recommendations and I most probability will finalize my decision on this weekend. Will keep everyone posted.Thanks again for all the help

Sorry for the late reply guys

Thanks a lot Don/mazdaspeed for the clarifications. Today I spotted a butterfly interplay x model.Dont know if it’s a real interplay x but it was a red one with interplay x stickers on both sides of the car. Must say from outside it looked very similar to the normal version apart from the rear spoiler. I never had any chance to have a look at the interior as I was in the traffic ;-(

You are very correct about some car owners and the most of car sales people. Looks can be really deceiving in SL for sure. Also I m really surprised about the price difference between Toyotas and other makes. I was looking for a car for few weeks and followed the market prices (or at least the prices quoted by the owners and the sales guys) and am really surprised that asking price for a 92 corolla is very similar to a 96 Mazda. It’s really a sad picture to see that people think only Toyota makes good cars.

Any way I m putting together all your suggestions and recommendations and I most probability will finalize my decision on this weekend. Will keep everyone posted.Thanks again for all the help

My family once owned a 1987 BF3V Mazda Wagon, and let me just let the facts speak for themselves

The Corolla KE72 Wagon (of the same generation) had rear leaf springs, and an active rear axel and a 4spd Gear Box (1300 cc engine)

Our wagon had independent rear suspension and rear springs and a close ratio gear box which meant the car pulled like there was no tomorrow till about 125 KMPH when thanks to only having 4 gears it maxed out. It also had a timing chain so none of the problems associated with timing belts. In the 5 years we owned it, it only broke down once owing to a failed ignition unit, and my father is somebody who has no regard for car maintenance, and it suffered a LOT of neglect but it kept on going and going transporting people as well as goods including some massive platforms at my old schools, holds a record of transporting a car load of 13 people home once, and God it was a good car. Standard Japanese build quality as they say.

I will pay less and get the Mazda anyday :)

My family once owned a 1987 BF3V Mazda Wagon, and let me just let the facts speak for themselves

The Corolla KE72 Wagon (of the same generation) had rear leaf springs, and an active rear axel and a 4spd Gear Box (1300 cc engine)

Our wagon had independent rear suspension and rear springs and a close ratio gear box which meant the car pulled like there was no tomorrow till about 125 KMPH when thanks to only having 4 gears it maxed out. It also had a timing chain so none of the problems associated with timing belts. In the 5 years we owned it, it only broke down once owing to a failed ignition unit, and my father is somebody who has no regard for car maintenance, and it suffered a LOT of neglect but it kept on going and going transporting people as well as goods including some massive platforms at my old schools, holds a record of transporting a car load of 13 people home once, and God it was a good car. Standard Japanese build quality as they say.

I will pay less and get the Mazda anyday :)

ah yes, the adventures of the legendary mazda....those were the days :)

holds a record of transporting a car load of 13 people home once, and God it was a good car.

Damn. I got 9 in a California once and thought that was pretty good. Could have put one more in the boot too. Guess Uni guys aren't as small as school guys :D

Hi Guys

BAD LUCK :-( even though the exterior is in good condition my mechanic told me the engine and the suspensions are not good so I gave up. I m back to square one now. I m so sick and tired of looking for a good car. I ve spent more than a month looking for cars..

BTW I ve transported exactly 9 adults in one of my previous Toyota ee90 car. It was for a short distance otherwise I would ve never done that.What a car that was! No major repairs for the entire 04 years that I had the vehicle.

Thanks for all the comments and help .Merry Christmas and happy new-year to all of you.