• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Pls Help Me Choose A Suv From My List

MAS

Hi,

Your recommendations please (based on reliability, efficiency, maintenance) from the following list. I do not need for off-road. Prices are approximate.

a. 2004 Hyundai Tucson 2.0L (unreg 4.2m)

b. 2001 Suzuki Escudo 2.0L (reg 2.8m)

c. 2001 Mazda Tribute 2.0L (reg 3.2m)

d. 2001 Nissan X-Trail 2.0L (reg 3.3m)

e. 2006 Suzuki SX4 1.5L (not exactly a SUV - unreg 4.0m)

Thanks in advance.

:)

not at all familiar with all the SUV's so if i am to be chosen will go for the X-Trail at once! if reliability, efficiency, and maintenance matters as mentioned!

well, not really any kind of recommendation, just what i will select :)

Edited by Kim

Just out of curiorsity.................What's the reason you want an SUV? Are you after the ground clearence?

Yes, I like the high ground clearance, big looks and all the stuff a SUV would offer in terms of drivability, interior space etc. Never owned a SUV or Jeep, so if I could get a hold of a reasonable one, I would like to own one.... provided it does not cost a fortune to maintain and is reliable.

I am inclined towards the Tucson. Good choice ?

Yes, I like the high ground clearance, big looks and all the stuff a SUV would offer in terms of drivability, interior space etc. Never owned a SUV or Jeep, so if I could get a hold of a reasonable one, I would like to own one.... provided it does not cost a fortune to maintain and is reliable.

I am inclined towards the Tucson. Good choice ?

Out of your preference list the X-Trail is the best! There were few on sale on last & previos weeks H*TAD. Never experienced a 2.0L, only travlled in a 2.5L which is good ride.

If my memory is right Fuzzo owned a 2.0L X-Trail, he should be able to give a better review.

Hi,… the Tucson is a good SUV in its segment. It is modern, quite popular in most of its international markets, and offers a good package in terms of space inside and sporty looks outside, features, comfort etc. Reliability should not be an issue. However,… I cannot say any thing about the local agents when it comes to servicing and maintenance. But since there are places and people who can attend to the work of Hyundai cars in SL apart from the agents,…. you should be ok. Only thing is,… the 2.0L is a 2 wheel drive version driven by the front wheels. (A lot of new 2WD SUV’s are like that – soft roaders) The 4x4 version comes with a 2.7 L V6 engine.

But if your idea of going for a SUV is for the high seating position, ground clearance and visibility, then the 2.0L 2x4 version is ideal as it is also economical compared to the 4x4 version which is actually a full time 4x4 or an All Wheel Drive (AWD) type. But having said that, if you ever get stuck in a ditch or some thing you will regret for not having the power of all 4 wheels.

A lot of people (all over the world) these days go for SUV’s for the reasons you have mentioned. Therefore, if you are already inclined to go for the Tucson (though it’s the most expensive one) you will be happy with it as it’s a modern SUV that will deliver your needs and wants.

Hi

I had a Grand Vitara 2001 model and sold it just two weeks ago. it was on the same site and not there any more. it was a 2000 cc and I was very happy with it. It was 40k on the clock when I bought it and was 78k when I sold. had no issues with it what so ever except for the routine oil changes which I was very particular on. a very good vehicle and the four wheel drive was effective.

And by the way now I've already placed an order for the Hyundai tucson, 2700 cc 4WD. I've not test driven one yet but has driven the model you are talking about. no complaints from me. the performance was to my satisfaction.

My advice is, if the cost is not an issue, go for the Hyundai as it is a newer vehicle when compared to the others you've mentioned.

good luck

How come no Toyota's or Mitsu's on the list?

The only Toyota I did check is the RAV4 (2000/1 model). But the reg. ones I saw were not so good - condition wise with high mileage. Unreg RAV4 is not affordable. Mitsu's....I think only the IO is available. Never looked at any seriously.

Hi,… the Tucson is a good SUV in its segment. It is modern, quite popular in most of its international markets, and offers a good package in terms of space inside and sporty looks outside, features, comfort etc. Reliability should not be an issue. However,… I cannot say any thing about the local agents when it comes to servicing and maintenance. But since there are places and people who can attend to the work of Hyundai cars in SL apart from the agents,…. you should be ok. Only thing is,… the 2.0L is a 2 wheel drive version driven by the front wheels. (A lot of new 2WD SUV’s are like that – soft roaders) The 4x4 version comes with a 2.7 L V6 engine.

But if your idea of going for a SUV is for the high seating position, ground clearance and visibility, then the 2.0L 2x4 version is ideal as it is also economical compared to the 4x4 version which is actually a full time 4x4 or an All Wheel Drive (AWD) type. But having said that, if you ever get stuck in a ditch or some thing you will regret for not having the power of all 4 wheels.

A lot of people (all over the world) these days go for SUV’s for the reasons you have mentioned. Therefore, if you are already inclined to go for the Tucson (though it’s the most expensive one) you will be happy with it as it’s a modern SUV that will deliver your needs and wants.

How about spare parts availability in the local market for the Tucson ?

The only Toyota I did check is the RAV4 (2000/1 model). But the reg. ones I saw were not so good - condition wise with high mileage. Unreg RAV4 is not affordable. Mitsu's....I think only the IO is available. Never looked at any seriously.

And how does a Honda CRV fit into this price range?

when you say Suzuki escudo if you are referring to the XL7, that's a very good SUV. plus you get 3 rows of seats.

and i'm sure one of the main reasons for going for a SUV is the sear size of it, if that is the case Suzuki is bigger than the rest.

I don’t have much faith in Koreans so I’ll leave it for the experts to comment on. I’m not saying I don’t have faith in Korean engineering I’m just saying if its not for the ‘chinthanaya’ I’m sure Koreans have a higher depreciation as they were about 5 years ago

when you say Suzuki escudo if you are referring to the XL7, that's a very good SUV. plus you get 3 rows of seats.

and i'm sure one of the main reasons for going for a SUV is the sear size of it, if that is the case Suzuki is bigger than the rest.

I don’t have much faith in Koreans so I’ll leave it for the experts to comment on. I’m not saying I don’t have faith in Korean engineering I’m just saying if its not for the ‘chinthanaya’ I’m sure Koreans have a higher depreciation as they were about 5 years ago

I am referring to the 5 seater.

Even though no one in our family owns a Korean vehicle the comments i have received on the Koreans are more negative. Saw a Hyundai Matrix (KA-****) 2 weeks back in a garage in Nugegoda, damn! the engine of it was messed & didn't look healthy at-all.

Are parts for the Tucson or other korean's freely available??

Hi,

Why isn't the RAV4 on the list? The RAV4 is a SUV categorized for professional ladies (gents please calm down) or new families. I've driven a few, as they call cross overs, SUV and truck types. My personal and I say MY view (I'm no professional) is that compared the the Soft Roaders listed (with all due respect) I felt the RAV4 had better handling. You could feel it's ruggedness, and pep.

Yep it's not spacious also it's cargo bay volume is comparitively small. But it gives you real driving pleasure. And that's what your asking for right? no off roading!!, Any ways SUV are not meant for serious off road.

There's a 2WD and 4WD in 1.8 and 2ltr in SL. If you look around hard enough you'd find a good pick. again my personal feeling is the RAV4 has a stronger (comparitively scratch resistent) interior

Any one can quote on the current pricing

2003/4 up vvti

2000/1 up

I feel most SL people are still very conservative minded to look for some thing bright in a Japanese car. Not all Korean made cars are good. But with reasonable confidence I can say that their SUV range starting from 2004 upwards and probably most of the Korean cars made after 2006 especially Hyundai and KIA (which is one company actually) are well built and as a matter of fact, in 2006/7 Hyundai won many awards in USA for reliability of their cars which was earlier Honda Accord and Toyota Camry territory.

I feel most SL people are still very conservative minded to look for some thing bright in a Japanese car. Not all Korean made cars are good. But with reasonable confidence I can say that their SUV range starting from 2004 upwards and probably most of the Korean cars made after 2006 especially Hyundai and KIA (which is one company actually) are well built and as a matter of fact, in 2006/7 Hyundai won many awards in USA for reliability of their cars which was earlier Honda Accord and Toyota Camry territory.

J.D. Power and Associates: Highest Ranked Compact Multi-Activity Vehicle in Initial Quality - 2006 Tucson: The Hyundai Tucson received the lowest number of problems per 100 vehicles among compact multi-activity vehicles in the proprietary J.D. Power and Associates 2006 Initial Quality StudySM. The study was based on responses from 63,607 new-vehicle owners, measuring 251 models, and measures opinions after 90 days of ownership. In addition, the overall Hyundai brand was deemed the highest ranked non-premium nameplate in the 2006 Initial Quality StudySM and is ranked third among all nameplates.

My BIL owns a Tucson (company provided) and got it Brand new. He had a CRV earlier. When compared the two vehicles Tucson is newer and better looking and looks bigger, but internally (specially the rear) not very spacious. Compared Tucson is very low on fuel (after driven less than a year) and not very comfy.

Outta list I prefer;

1. X-Trail

2. SX4 / Escudo

3. Tucson

Your comments contradict each other. First you said we are conservative to cling on to jap cars and then you admit that Honda Accord and Toyota Camry is in the top of the league when it comes to reliability. Last time I checked both these brands were Japanese.

Your comments contradict each other. First you said we are conservative to cling on to jap cars and then you admit that Honda Accord and Toyota Camry is in the top of the league when it comes to reliability. Last time I checked both these brands were Japanese.

My friend…. You have clearly not understood what I have said in my post….. what I intended to say was….. now Hyundai (Korean) is in a place which was earlier taken by Toyota and Honda (Japanese).

I never meant to say that Japanese cars are bad,… they are proven to be some of the best cars made in terms of build quality. What I was trying to high light was that the Koreans have now come to the same level and this can be clearly seen in many car surveys carried out by reputed organisations in the recent times.

I hope this clears your confusion….

My friend…. You have clearly not understood what I have said in my post….. what I intended to say was….. now Hyundai (Korean) is in a place which was earlier taken by Toyota and Honda (Japanese).

I never meant to say that Japanese cars are bad,… they are proven to be some of the best cars made in terms of build quality. What I was trying to high light was that the Koreans have now come to the same level and this can be clearly seen in many car surveys carried out by reputed organisations in the recent times.

I hope this clears your confusion….

mate i got your point in the very first instance. i think you didn't understand what i said.

yes sri lankans love their japs that’s mainly because of their notorious . yes the koreans have come a long way but if there's a jap counterpart for the same amount i'll pick that anyday.

mate i got your point in the very first instance. i think you didn't understand what i said.

yes sri lankans love their japs that’s mainly because of their notorious . yes the koreans have come a long way but if there's a jap counterpart for the same amount i'll pick that anyday.

aha… good…. that is your wish….. no harm in that….. I was only clearing out what you said that was contradicting in my post….. this is altogether a different thing you are saying now… which is your opinion and personal preference…. Anyway…… that’s totally cool…..