• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Flat Tires

colombo

TIRES OR TYRES-FLAT OR RUN FLAT!!!

Tires=American spelling

Tyres=British (UK) spelling

Flat- do you mean they look as if they need more air? That's normal appearance for Radial tyres-Do not over inflate due to the appearance check and set tyre pressures when the tyres are cold and use an accurate pressure gauge. The pressure will increase with tyre temperature so check before you drive the car too far at the start of the day.

Run flat Tyres- Fitted to several BMW and New Mini models for added safety-in the case of the Mini due to the lack of space for a spare tyre. The car must be fitted with a tyre pressure warning system so the driver knows there is a problem with the tyres as full handling and brake performance is still impared if you have one tyre down. The ride comfort is not as good with run flats as the tyre sidewalls are very strong so road noise is also a little higher.

Am I answering your query or rambling on?

Maithri

TIRES OR TYRES-FLAT OR RUN FLAT!!!

Tires=American spelling

Tyres=British (UK) spelling

Flat- do you mean they look as if they need more air? That's normal appearance for Radial tyres-Do not over inflate due to the appearance check and set tyre pressures when the tyres are cold and use an accurate pressure gauge. The pressure will increase with tyre temperature so check before you drive the car too far at the start of the day.

Run flat Tyres- Fitted to several BMW and New Mini models for added safety-in the case of the Mini due to the lack of space for a spare tyre. The car must be fitted with a tyre pressure warning system so the driver knows there is a problem with the tyres as full handling and brake performance is still impared if you have one tyre down. The ride comfort is not as good with run flats as the tyre sidewalls are very strong so road noise is also a little higher.

Am I answering your query or rambling on?

Maithri

Thanks Maithri. Sorry for the spelling mistake Tyres.

mine is Chervolet cruse and I think it is Run flat tyres. If I change it to high sidewall tyres in next time

1. if it is effect to the fuel efficency,Comfort or any other ???

you mentioned the key word "Added safety". Can you explain this more.

Only my purpose is to change good look. What do you think??? :unsure:

I dont think you are running on run flat tyres.

I think you are referring to Low Profile tyres. Low profiles give you a better look because the alloy looks more prominent since there is less tyre to show. Also i think it gives better grip as well. Low profiles are certainly not the best on our road conditions and will help to wear out your suspension a lot faster and give you a very hard ride. But certainly they do look good.

If you are not sure if they are low profile's just check the tyre size on your car, the numbers would read something like 195/55/R14. Number in the middle, in this case '55' means the height of the tyre as a percentge of its width, in this case 55% of '195'. So if your tyre has something equal to or below 55 or so, i think its safe to say that you are on Low Profile tyres.

The optimal tyre size for your car should be shown on a sticker on the door post on the dirver's side. Those tyres will give you better fuel economy and better comfort but surely it comes at the expense of good looks that low profiles give.

I dont think you are running on run flat tyres.

I think you are referring to Low Profile tyres. Low profiles give you a better look because the alloy looks more prominent since there is less tyre to show. Also i think it gives better grip as well. Low profiles are certainly not the best on our road conditions and will help to wear out your suspension a lot faster and give you a very hard ride. But certainly they do look good.

If you are not sure if they are low profile's just check the tyre size on your car, the numbers would read something like 195/55/R14. Number in the middle, in this case '55' means the height of the tyre as a percentge of its width, in this case 55% of '195'. So if your tyre has something equal to or below 55 or so, i think its safe to say that you are on Low Profile tyres.

The optimal tyre size for your car should be shown on a sticker on the door post on the dirver's side. Those tyres will give you better fuel economy and better comfort but surely it comes at the expense of good looks that low profiles give.

Thanks lot mate and what is the difference between this low profile and Flat tyres. :unsure:

Hi,

Low profile tyres in Sri Lanka may be 55% etc but here in the west we would refer to 45 or below as low profile as 65, 60, 55, and 50's tend to be the norm for most car makers. They rarely cause discomfort or extra road noise. They are superior to standard tyres which have 80 profiles because they allow less sideways flex when cornering hard so keeping the footprint of the tyre intact in the road giving extra stability and safety. The lower profiles cut down this flex even further and were mostly designed for high performance cars like porche ferrari and the performance end models of the other car makers. The enhanced appearence of more alloy wheel and less rubber filling the wheel arch was siezed upon by the youth of today so we now see 1000cc 3 cylinder engine cars with fat low profile tyres making them look good but with poor comfort levels and the extra drag making them even slower and less economical!

Flat tyres- I would refer to a punctured tyre that lost all or most of it's air as a flat tyre. I am not familiar with the model cruse from Daewoo(Cheverolet) What size tyres have you got and what makes you think they are flat or run flat? I can clarify if you give me more details.

Added safety-when travelling at speed a tyre deflating or blowing out can cause you to loose control of the car and in the congested roads and motorways we travel in can cause serious danger to all of us. Run flat tyres keep most of their shape when the air has escaped from the tyre and provide much enhanced steering and braking compared to a completely flat normal tyre-in fact it's highly un-likely to make you loose control of the car even at high speed. That's why I said added safety.

To look good buy a tyre and wheel combination that that fits your car without fouling the body-the more you cover the wheel arch the better they look says the styling guru's. Ideally from a technical point of view keep the same diameter or the rolling circumference as the original size so the gearing and the speedo reading does not vary. But this may not be possible as the original tyres may be too small to fill the area. So the styling decision is yours!

The spelling-it's your choice to spell it the American way and mine to spell the British way-we are both right-at least in the free society I live in we can hold our own options!