• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2009 Nissan Skyline Gtr

dillongt

i'm so proud to be a JDM Redsuns owner & to hear that the Nissan GTR left the P-911, D-viper & C-Corvette in the dust. but I also have a feeling that the 2012 RX9 will be fairly comparable to the the GTR this is in accordance to the specs that have been provided....what do you guys think?

2009 GTR

2009gtrfulluq6.jpg

20012RX9

mrx9lc2.png

GT-R is proving it-self leaving some high priced super cars behind. I feel the RX-9 should be in the same league.

However there is 4 years ahead of us; GT-R is in production & the RX-9 is in concept which means we can expect more from the RX-9.

Got to accept that Mazda does have better designing!!

Yes Mazda have always had decent design capability but now they are getting even better. Just look at this awesome Furai concept car! Gorgeous eh?

418853857zy9.jpg

418853755ob8.jpg

great to see asian manufacturers beating the snot out of much much more expensive super cars :)

the looks of these new genre jap cars are stunning too...the mazda concept car looks really fast even when it parked :angry-smiley-048:

great to see the skyline series getting due respect by kicking butt... wonder why they dropped the name "skyline" and went for GTR alone. possibly due to marketing reasons and nissa GTR sounding much better to the mother brand nissan.

great to see asian manufacturers beating the snot out of much much more expensive super cars :)

the looks of these new genre jap cars are stunning too...the mazda concept car looks really fast even when it parked :angry-smiley-048:

great to see the skyline series getting due respect by kicking butt... wonder why they dropped the name "skyline" and went for GTR alone. possibly due to marketing reasons and nissa GTR sounding much better to the mother brand nissan.

I may be wrong, having read this article a few years ago on why they separated GTR from Skyline. The old skylines were only sold in Japan and Nissan weren't making big money off them. They wanted to make skyline a global car and turned it into more luxury oriented sports sedans and coupes and re-badged it as the Infinity G series so as to compete with BMW, Mercedes, Lexus etc. Obviously you can't compete with these brands using the "Nissan" name and charging a premium, hence they called it Infinity. This appealed to a wider audience than the outgoing car. They combined the platform with 350z, Gloria and Cedric. The "skyline" name is only used in japan.

I believe it worked, especially in the states. i hear the cars are really popular there and is a genuine alternative to the 3 series in particular.

They wanted the GTR to have its own platform, so as to make it an out and out sports car.

I may be wrong, having read this article a few years ago on why they separated GTR from Skyline. The old skylines were only sold in Japan and Nissan weren't making big money off them. They wanted to make skyline a global car and turned it into more luxury oriented sports sedans and coupes and re-badged it as the Infinity G series so as to compete with BMW, Mercedes, Lexus etc. Obviously you can't compete with these brands using the "Nissan" name and charging a premium, hence they called it Infinity. This appealed to a wider audience than the outgoing car. They combined the platform with 350z, Gloria and Cedric. The "skyline" name is only used in japan.

I believe it worked, especially in the states. i hear the cars are really popular there and is a genuine alternative to the 3 series in particular.

They wanted the GTR to have its own platform, so as to make it an out and out sports car.

was thinking on the same line...

especially since cars are heavily image driven :)

great to see the skyline series getting due respect by kicking butt... .

While I have a deep respect for the clinical ability of the GTR I don't find myself dying to own one. One, there are the looks. Very fuctional and mean looking but it could have been a bit more of a desirable shape like these two Mazdas for example especially that gorgeous Furai.

Second, I don't actually want a car packed with an overload of electronic devices that are way cleverer than the driver. I somehow prefer a car that require a good dose of driver skill to get the best out of it. The best thing would be if the car helps the driver to hone his skill. And lets face it there's nothing like a bit of sideways fun and catching a slide instead of an ultra intelligent 4wd system controlled by hundreds of microships that will correct any silly move the driver makes.

Anyone agrees?

While I have a deep respect for the clinical ability of the GTR I don't find myself dying to own one. One, there are the looks. Very fuctional and mean looking but it could have been a bit more of a desirable shape like these two Mazdas for example especially that gorgeous Furai.

Second, I don't actually want a car packed with an overload of electronic devices that are way cleverer than the driver. I somehow prefer a car that require a good dose of driver skill to get the best out of it. The best thing would be if the car helps the driver to hone his skill. And lets face it there's nothing like a bit of sideways fun and catching a slide instead of an ultra intelligent 4wd system controlled by hundreds of microships that will correct any silly move the driver makes.

Anyone agrees?

There is something in that. Which is why so many cars let you turn the electronics off. Possibly the GT-R lets you do that too?

Anyone agrees?

you DO have a solid point there.... and im 100% with you on the inherent entertainment of a bit of sideways fun! :)

but isnt the whole point behind the Nissan GTR the mere fact that it includes the driver in the whole game? from as far back as i can remember, that was the key thing anyone raving about a skyline GTR went on about.... the mere fact that for all it's AWD and ATTESA and enough acronyms to make alphabet soup with, It still managed to provide a healthy dose of driver involvement, even to the extent of making the driver feel (unlikely as that may be), that He/she had something to do with the brilliance...... this made it stand out in stark contrast to things like the Mitsu 3000GT, and various alldrive audis, that went the same Turbo-4wheel drive route, but failed to involve..... and to me, the new GTR seems to be the taking of this philosophy to a whole other level.....

of course, having never driven a Nissan GTR, I cant really be 100% certain of any of this...

but isnt the whole point behind the Nissan GTR the mere fact that it includes the driver in the whole game? from as far back as i can remember, that was the key thing anyone raving about a skyline GTR went on about.... the mere fact that for all it's AWD and ATTESA and enough acronyms to make alphabet soup with, It still managed to provide a healthy dose of driver involvement, even to the extent of making the driver feel (unlikely as that may be), that He/she had something to do with the brilliance...... this made it stand out in stark contrast to things like the Mitsu 3000GT, and various alldrive audis, that went the same Turbo-4wheel drive route, but failed to involve..... and to me, the new GTR seems to be the taking of this philosophy to a whole other level.....

of course, having never driven a Nissan GTR, I cant really be 100% certain of any of this...

Yes nor have I driven one. If it does let the driver partake a lot then that is certain great to know that they have managed to preserve that important aspect.

I arrived at this conclusion after driving a Lancer Evo 6 for a few months. After a while it the thrill of the blistering pace seemed to wear me down a bit. It stopped making me grin after a while like say a Mini does. I was wondering if it is all that clever electronics. I guess it's hard to describe...but say you come into a corner at a crazy speed and what the car is telling you is that is nothing. You are not sure if you can take that corner at that speed. But here it's only you (the driver) who has a doubt for the car will actually take it using all the electronic aides to keep it on the road. And so its the car that's a hero. Of course you feel like one since you took the corner anyway.

If you also watch the super car event at say Katu you notice how the cars correct themselves in the corners when almost all the drivers come crashing into the corners. Where as say if all the cars were without electronics it would be only the most skilled driver who would be quickest all other things being equal.

But I guess this is the price of progress.

I wonder what will happen if all the electronics are switched off or removed!? The question I'm pondering is I guess "How dependent is the car on electronic aides in comparison to its mechanical hardware?"

Yes nor have I driven one. If it does let the driver partake a lot then that is certain great to know that they have managed to preserve that important aspect.

I arrived at this conclusion after driving a Lancer Evo 6 for a few months. After a while it the thrill of the blistering pace seemed to wear me down a bit. It stopped making me grin after a while like say a Mini does. I was wondering if it is all that clever electronics. I guess it's hard to describe...but say you come into a corner at a crazy speed and what the car is telling you is that is nothing. You are not sure if you can take that corner at that speed. But here it's only you (the driver) who has a doubt for the car will actually take it using all the electronic aides to keep it on the road. And so its the car that's a hero. Of course you feel like one since you took the corner anyway.

If you also watch the super car event at say Katu you notice how the cars correct themselves in the corners when almost all the drivers come crashing into the corners. Where as say if all the cars were without electronics it would be only the most skilled driver who would be quickest all other things being equal.

But I guess this is the price of progress.

I wonder what will happen if all the electronics are switched off or removed!? The question I'm pondering is I guess "How dependent is the car on electronic aides in comparison to its mechanical hardware?"

mates

i aint no expert on these things and quite possible the following post will make it loud and clear :)

But isn't it thanks to these fancy electronics that these cars can be pushed to the max they have been pushed?

I'm sure a highly skilled driver might be able to come close but at the level of sophistication these days...i doubtful that the driver will be able control all the things electronics will do quite easily. Maybe there should be an option where the driver can take over certain functions that are more "pleasurable" rather than completely unsafe...

I remember watching a discovery program on the stealth f117a bomber and they were saying that without the computers it's impossible to fly that thing...

i know it's not the best comparison but it seems like that technology is so advanced and it gives you so much control over it's operation...it's nearly impossible for a human to perform al l of that and get it right...

just ma 2 cents

mates

i aint no expert on these things and quite possible the following post will make it loud and clear :)

But isn't it thanks to these fancy electronics that these cars can be pushed to the max they have been pushed?

I'm sure a highly skilled driver might be able to come close but at the level of sophistication these days...i doubtful that the driver will be able control all the things electronics will do quite easily. Maybe there should be an option where the driver can take over certain functions that are more "pleasurable" rather than completely unsafe...

Quite right Ripper. I agree!

• 3 weeks later...

I found a video claiming to be the first TEST DRIVE VIDEO of Nissan GTR. :D

think u guys would like to watch it. they even got a comparative video againts Zonda F.

http://www.carzi.com/2008/01/22/first-test...-in-33-seconds/

Well its said its not the best track condition to take numbers, but they have proved the 3.3sec 0-60 is true in two runs.

Sorry if thi a repost, cos i searched forums but didnt found any similar topics.

Cheer up ! here comes one of the quickest production cars !

Yes the VDC can be switched off. You'd probably need a lot more skill then.

There was a common complaint on the Z that even if you hit the VDC off button on the Z, it wouldn't go off completely. BMI agreed. Apparently only the base model allowed it off completely, the higher specs had some measure of it remaining trying to break the skids and so on. Wierd. Hope they don't do the same on the GT-R.