• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Acceleration Problem

monty

Question

Hi Guys,

I have been experiencing a slight problem with my vehicle lately in terms of gradual acceleration after a gear change. The accelerator pedal doesn't seem to be smooth enough for me to gradually increase the RPM immediately after a gear shift and feels a bit stiff for me to have full control over a continuous smooth acceleration.

Can this be a problem with the accelerator cable or related to an engine tune-up (plugs/hoses) ?

Thanks Guys ! :jumping-smiley-013:

9 answers to this question

could be related to an engine tune up..whats your car? normally in most of the EFi cars accelerator becomes a little bit stiff due to high amount carbon deposits on the throttle body...remove the air intake pipe from the intake manifold and examine the inner side of the throttle body by pulling the accelerator cable..

could be related to an engine tune up..whats your car? normally in most of the EFi cars accelerator becomes a little bit stiff due to high amount carbon deposits on the throttle body...remove the air intake pipe from the intake manifold and examine the inner side of the throttle body by pulling the accelerator cable..

Thanks !. Mine is an EK3 97. I'll check on this. If it is the case what would be the best remedy for this?...will a tune up solve the problem to an extent or is there a need to cleanup the throttle carbon deposits? :unsure:

Thanks!

monty :jumping-smiley-013:

Hi Guys,

I have been experiencing a slight problem with my vehicle lately in terms of gradual acceleration after a gear change. The accelerator pedal doesn't seem to be smooth enough for me to gradually increase the RPM immediately after a gear shift and feels a bit stiff for me to have full control over a continuous smooth acceleration.

Can this be a problem with the accelerator cable or related to an engine tune-up (plugs/hoses) ?

Thanks Guys ! :jumping-smiley-013:

Could potentially be the accelerator cable, pedal assembly or the throttle body and it could be something simple as the lack of lubrication on either of these parts, or just wear

if you feel physical friction when your press the pedal its most likely to be one of the above reasons, if the pedal operates fine but the car does not accelerate then it might be related to electronics or the throttle body etc.

In whichever case getting a competent mechanic to have a look should put your mind at ease.

Could potentially be the accelerator cable, pedal assembly or the throttle body and it could be something simple as the lack of lubrication on either of these parts, or just wear

if you feel physical friction when your press the pedal its most likely to be one of the above reasons, if the pedal operates fine but the car does not accelerate then it might be related to electronics or the throttle body etc.

In whichever case getting a competent mechanic to have a look should put your mind at ease.

Thanks Don !. It really helps. Would get a mech on this one.

Thanks Don !. It really helps. Would get a mech on this one.

If you are confident, and you feel the friction even if the car is stationary, can try oiling the pedal assembly to see if that helps. Lubricating the cable is better done with the cable removed (better leave it to the mech) and the throttle body needs expert attention.

I had the same sort of problem on 2 cars, and once it was the cable needing lubrication and the other time it was wear on the throttle body,

I had a throttle hesitancy problem no friction on the cable and that time it was the injector (this car had a carburettor so had only one injector)

If you are confident, and you feel the friction even if the car is stationary, can try oiling the pedal assembly to see if that helps. Lubricating the cable is better done with the cable removed (better leave it to the mech) and the throttle body needs expert attention.

I had the same sort of problem on 2 cars, and once it was the cable needing lubrication and the other time it was wear on the throttle body,

I had a throttle hesitancy problem no friction on the cable and that time it was the injector (this car had a carburettor so had only one injector)

Spot on Don!.....Lubricating the cable did the trick. No friction now and pedals smooth :grinning-smiley-003:

Thanks Guys!

monty :jumping-smiley-013: