• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Throttlebody Cleaning@home. Is This Possible?

priya

Question

:unsure::angry-smiley-024: I here that a lot of engine idle problem are result in very common cause which is dirty throttle body? Is this True what else can effect engine idle since i am also having an idle problem..just thought whether I could do this at home.? or Should I take ca to a professional. I here tuners charge thumping ampunts for this?

Please advice me... :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::angry-smiley-024:

15 answers to this question

No offense mate, but the fact that you're asking means you don't have the knowledge. So i'd say no, its not something thats easily done at home, unless you have the know-how.

My recommendation is to take it to a professional- there's a lot of ancillary stuff that gets taken off before you even get to removing the throttle body...and experience has taught me that while things are easy to remove, putting them back correctly is another story...

On average, i'd say, the whole job should cost about 4-5k, excluding sparks, injection cleaner, etc...

nevermind, i just saw that you have a starlet gt...

Hi..thank for asking..well to start with. When the eingine heats up whenrunning without ac sometimes the idle drops to 500 and quickly goes up to 900 again. I hear black spots and reving. simply something like a miss. but when i switch on ac doesnt feel a thing>>> :violent-smiley-099::violent-smiley-099:

Forgot to mention this happens when I am on nutral say for example when stopped at color lights and the gear is in nutral the engine idle goes down to 500 and quickly to 900 again during that time its just like a miss.....

Edited by priya

Hi..thank for asking..well to start with. When the eingine heats up whenrunning without ac sometimes the idle drops to 500 and quickly goes up to 900 again. I hear black spots and reving. simply something like a miss. but when i switch on ac doesnt feel a thing>>> :violent-smiley-099::violent-smiley-099:

Forgot to mention this happens when I am on nutral say for example when stopped at color lights and the gear is in nutral the engine idle goes down to 500 and quickly to 900 again during that time its just like a miss.....

Ah- the above puts a slightly different perspective- aside from a tune-up, you might want to have a turbo guru have a look just to verify if all the forced induction bits are working ok. You might also want to check the condition of your spark plugs, if you haven't replaced them recently. Is your car de-catted?

That could very well be carbon deposits on the throttle body. As Gunat advised take it to a professional and do not try to do it yourself. I know what Gunat says from personal experience that putting things back together properly isn't as easy as taking them apart :)

As Don says, decatt means the Catalytic Converter removed. The ECU also reads data off the exhaust system-typically thru a sensor in the Cat. If this isn't wired right after being de-catted, it can (repeat, can...not will) affect the engine tune state. So you have one more thing to check...

Gunat and The Don

[and experience has taught me that while things are easy to remove, putting them back correctly is another story...]

man three cheers to that and a few pints of beer also :)

I have learned this the hard way too many time until i got myself shop manuals :)

:unsure::angry-smiley-024: I here that a lot of engine idle problem are result in very common cause which is dirty throttle body? Is this True what else can effect engine idle since i am also having an idle problem..just thought whether I could do this at home.? or Should I take ca to a professional. I here tuners charge thumping ampunts for this?

Please advice me... :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::angry-smiley-024:

If u have little technical knowledge you can do this. But u have to use appropriate tools to do this. If your vehicle is in genuine condition this is very little thing. I know u have Starlet one. So if someone didn’t do any modification in your throttle body and engine this is very easy.

You can use Abro carburettor cleaner to clean throttle body (I used tinner, tepantine also u can use)

Replace your 4 spark plugs. (Use genuine ND spark plugs don’t use NGK) Also u have to check plug wires (if you have multi meter u can do this. remember u have to check Ohms)

After fixing your all u have to reset ECU. To do this remove your battery (-) wire and keep few minutes and re-fix it properly. (Remember your radio channel memories will loos. You have to re-programme)

Remember not to do any adjustments on your throttle body. After fixing all, start the engine and keep the engine come to running temperature. when your engine reach to running temperature Check your ideal speed and adjust it to about 600rpm using exalter adjustment screw.

But if u not aware about technical things its better way to go to a professional.

Edited by Nilantha

Friends,

Can I respectfully lay some myth's to rest please?

2nd Lambda is for monitoring the cat performance only and does not effect the functioning of the ecu or the engine at all. This is purely an emmision control measure to tell you when your cat is aging.

De cat your car if you want to it will add a marginal performance increase unless you use a high performance exhaust system-that will add a significant increase in the gas flow benefiting performance.

Cleaning the throttle body is possible at home, also if it is not heavily contaminated you could clean it in situ-spray the throttle butterfly area with air intake cleaner after removing the air cleaner or intake pipe then use a soft rag to wipe clean the venturi specially where the butterfly rests at idle as well as the butterfly(throttle flap) itself mainly the edges. You may need to use a piece of wood (the stick from an ice lolly-popsical) and wrap the cloth around one end of it to get access, hold the throttle open so you can reach the critical area.

Soon as you finish start the car hold revs high around 2000 for a few seconds and the drive it normally for around 10 miles for the ecu to re learn it's values. No harm if you disconnect the battery in the older cars specially to clear the retained memory.

If the car is fitted with a modern fuel injection system the idle speed is not adjustable the stop screw on the throttle body should not be tampered with as it is not an idle or any other speed adjustment screw.

Maithri.