• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Land Rover

Avartar

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it won't be cheap :) but I am sure it will find a good home soon enough

Lakshan is your bro still in the UK cos both the mobile numbers I have of him don't work anymore !

machan, he is sri lanka for a holiday...this is his dialog number. 077-4441426

Just to correct you on one thing Devinda.

The Land rover model which was prouduced during 1983 - 1989 were PRE-DEFENDERS and they had exactly the same wheel base as DEFENDERs which is 110 and 90 inches. At a glanze you can tell the difference by the flush type door handles.

Siii came before the PRE-DEFENDER s and that had the wheel bases of 88 and 109...

There are different various terminologies with regards to land rovers and wheels base is just one. even the current 90 inch is not 90 inches on the dot. its 92.9.

Siii came before the PRE-DEFENDER s and that had the wheel bases of 88 and 109...

even the current 90 inch is not 90 inches on the dot. its 92.9.

Thanks for pointing that out machan...

i'm gonna notch that upto being really sleepy n as such confusing myself comprehensively with bits of Land Rover lore :(

i'm very ashamed about this mistake and profusely apologise to all on the thread :(

But the model name was as i mentioned & known simply as the the "Land Rover 90 (Ninety)" and "Land Rover 110 (One-Ten)"

The "Defender" name itself only showed up in 1989/90 , subsequent to the addition of the new vehicle the "Discovery" to Land Rover product line up

The result, was an improved Ninety & One-Ten being badged as the "Defender 90" and "Defender 110"

Edited by Devinda_Z

Sorry for the delay Don - been typing this for sometime, but had to rush off n rigorously workout the muscles on my left leg whilst@the wheel of the ole Landy :lol: The short answer was given as this was forthcoming...

You ever consider writing an article for the main page? You should talk to Madz and see.

I ll be going to look at a S3 this coming Sunday .... I ll update u all afterwards.... BTW lakshan I saw u re LR and dame those are some beasts man.... I love the new LR of u rez think its a 2007 model im talking about the black one with spot lights on the roof....

shan

I ll be going to look at a S3 this coming Sunday .... I ll update u all afterwards.... BTW lakshan I saw u re LR and dame those are some beasts man.... I love the new LR of u rez think its a 2007 model im talking about the black one with spot lights on the roof....

shan

Where did you see our LRovers machan.

That new one is my brothers.

n6913991746612872230qx5.jpg

macho did goto look the S3 i told previously .. wat a waist of time .... was a S2 not a S3 and the condition was so bad i dont think even it could be started....

btw i got hold of another S2 which is hard top in really good condition with a cab engine for 5 laks but the only problem is that it doesnt have a booster in the breaking system and i drive it and i think it doesnt have power steering with a lorry no on.... pls comment in it and is there a way to make this s2 breaking system as good as the onces which are in road .. i mean do i have to change the engine to put a booster?? wat is the procedure in putting up a booster and making it power steering... pls advice me in it...

shan

macho did goto look the S3 i told previously .. wat a waist of time .... was a S2 not a S3 and the condition was so bad i dont think even it could be started....

btw i got hold of another S2 which is hard top in really good condition with a cab engine for 5 laks but the only problem is that it doesnt have a booster in the breaking system and i drive it and i think it doesnt have power steering with a lorry no on.... pls comment in it and is there a way to make this s2 breaking system as good as the onces which are in road .. i mean do i have to change the engine to put a booster?? wat is the procedure in putting up a booster and making it power steering

5 lakhs is too much for something which doesn't even have the original engine in it!

whats the number of this Series II ??

most of the Series II's here came with 4cylinder Petrol units (2L & 2.25L)...there are original Diesels to be found which will also carry a 2.25L.

None of the series vehicles came with power steering.

a power steering unit can be retrofitted to a Series III with a 12J original engine fairly easily

The early sereis vehicles never had brake boosters afik, given they were all round drum brakes

however without knowing exactly what kind of engine (make & model) its running now its hard to say what can or can't be done...

aside from which,i'm not a proponent of using non Land Rover engines, & as such am unsuited to comment on the matter

Converting ur existing braking system into booster braking is doable however you have to re-think of some other issues too. Given that you have drum brake Diffs all around dont expect it to be rock solid like the defenders. Defenders which came with front-rear disk breaks have 2 pistons in each caliper. But you can rely on your braking if you do a conversion.

Its not a very difficult job to do the conversion. I have seen that indika and osanda have done alot of upgrades regardless of their engine types/makes/brands.

Converting ur existing braking system into booster braking is doable however you have to re-think of some other issues too. Given that you have drum brake Diffs all around dont expect it to be rock solid like the defenders. Defenders which came with front-rear disk breaks have 2 pistons in each caliper. But you can rely on your braking if you do a conversion.

Its not a very difficult job to do the conversion. I have seen that indika and osanda have done alot of upgrades regardless of their engine types/makes/brands.

I dont know how applicable/relavent this is, but we fitted a servo booster for our 4DR5 (which didnt have one initially), and it worked quite well, then upgraded with a retro-fitted servo from a hyundai van :D. Works amazingly and scary.. gives a wheel lock without having to put all your bodyweight on it. And that too has 4 drums...

I'm not that familair with LRs but I'm guessing the vacume line is the most vital part for a booser upgrade, and in this case the series engines/transmissions dont give? am i right? but since its fitted with a different engine, do you guys think it might eb able to accomadate a servo?

I dont know how applicable/relavent this is, but we fitted a servo booster for our 4DR5 (which didnt have one initially), and it worked quite well, then upgraded with a retro-fitted servo from a hyundai van :D. Works amazingly and scary.. gives a wheel lock without having to put all your bodyweight on it. And that too has 4 drums...

I'm not that familair with LRs but I'm guessing the vacume line is the most vital part for a booser upgrade, and in this case the series engines/transmissions dont give? am i right? but since its fitted with a different engine, do you guys think it might eb able to accomadate a servo?

We also fitted a brake booster to the maruti gypsy that we had we got the vacume line from the intake manifold although this had a petrol engine on it but you can fix a different alternator and get the vacume source to the booster. :)

your right - a seperate vacume pump needs to be installed if one is contemplating adding a booster

&yeah without knowing that exactly the engine on this vehicle in question is,its not easy to comment...

This is why Land Rovers are special.

Man, what a video.

brough tears to my eys.... :rolleyes:

I have an old one -petrol - she purrs like a happy kitty, and everything Hammond says on that video is true.

You can fix her up with a normal set of Box spanners and a socket wrench.

my kids love her and we take her out for evening drives , but kids too small for offroading.

( its fully open , no door frames, no roll bar, no canvas top) super. Who needs AC? :angry-smiley-048:

Anyone buying a LR - should be clear as to what they want it for. If its the passion, then any LR will do and it MUST stay original for it to have any value at all.

My humble opinion...

I still have not become a member of the LR club....must huh?

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=5169

No man....we tried but its too hard...They go under trucks.

well lets look at the bright side of things, if it falls into the category of trucks the duty figure is quite low compared to SUV's.

one question though, when you say 'truck' are you referring to the American definition?

under Japanies/SL definition in order for something to be called a truck the rear cargo compartment should be able to be open form all three sides not just from rear. so I'll take it that this falls under the single cab category.

well lets look at the bright side of things, if it falls into the category of trucks the duty figure is quite low compared to SUV's.

one question though, when you say 'truck' are you referring to the American definition?

under Japanies/SL definition in order for something to be called a truck the rear cargo compartment should be able to be open form all three sides not just from rear. so I'll take it that this falls under the single cab category.

The definition of truck in SL is very confusing, we bought down a single cab paid the single cab duty and then it was registered as a truck.

Then they also say if a vehicle can carry more than 1000kgs its classified as a truck by SL Customs. So I presume its why this falls under the truck category.