• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Land Rover

Avartar

Hey,

I'm thinking about buying a LandRover. But with my budget i can only go upto like 6-8k. So i got hold of Land Rover Series 3 which is into my budget but i got to know that auction Land rover defenders are much more cheaper than the real amount. I would like to know how auctions are operated and how much a defender 90 in an auction and how to get into a auction???

Shan :violent-smiley-030:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,

I'm thinking about buying a LandRover. But with my budget i can only go upto like 6-8k. So i got hold of Land Rover Series 3 which is into my budget but i got to know that auction Land rover defenders are much more cheaper than the real amount. I would like to know how auctions are operated and how much a defender 90 in an auction and how to get into a auction???

Shan :violent-smiley-030:

Normally they publish the auctions on papers.

But do not think of finding one in running shape, I would say its better to stick to you series3. Only difference is in the front face, doors, wheel base, engine, gearbox. As far as I know you can modify the series3 to look and drive like a normal defender. I suggest you take a look at Land Rover Owners magazines get an idea of what you can do with it.

There was one with a series 3 running with a 200Tdi engine and gearbox, also you can modify it to coil spring locally to make it a mean machine.

a couple of weeks back i saw an advertisement on a famouse news paper stating a defender 90 chasis and registration up for sale and asking price was Rs 1.2 Mil. So i doubt you would be able to get a working condition defender 90 for your budget at a auction. Unless you want to do up your jeep in stages where you would first buy the jeep for your budget and then gradualy do it up over a period of time.

Cheers

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I don't understand who actually use all these old defenders, off road junkies???

I can’t see how they can be used as daily runners with their notorious reliability issues.

"....Its a Land Rover thing...."

no offence meant,

but i wouldn't expect a non-owner/user to understand :)

hmm.... are you saying all these restored defenders are brought by LR enthusiast? that's quite odd for bunch of conservatives isn't it? lol

The term "LR enthusiasts" is one that is bandied about much these days...

One who bears such a title is one who has delved into the Land Rover culture...

This is not something easily explained given its highly subjective and experiential nature

...its not that you buy one because you are an enthusiast, but more that you become an enthusiast as you use it & live the Land Rover Life style - its not something quantifiable or all too easily definable

...misguided souls who seek to make a quick buck by creating abominations can hardly be classed as enthusiasts; neither can those who are blind enough to fall pray to opportunists who engage in these dubious "restorations" and "modifications"...

You assume that all Defenders on the road are "restored”, which is not entirely true,

many vehicles that ply the roads in fact are run of the mill production vehicles, in original form, that simple have been taken care of by their owners over the years, much like most other vehicles on the road...

It’s just that in recent times much publicity has been given to these "restorations" which entail slapping on new body panels and engines onto older chassis

I will be quick to point out that most of those engaged the more questionable forms of modification in the guise of "restoration" are merely shrewd schemers waiting to lure the ignorant buyers...

, as opposed to work commissioned by proper Land Rover enthusiasts or owners

Could you be kind enough to clarify what you meant to express by the reference: "bunch of conservatives" :unsure:

Normally they publish the auctions on papers.

But do not think of finding one in running shape, I would say its better to stick to you series3. Only difference is in the front face, doors, wheel base, engine, gearbox. As far as I know you can modify the series3 to look and drive like a normal defender. I suggest you take a look at Land Rover Owners magazines get an idea of what you can do with it.

There was one with a series 3 running with a 200Tdi engine and gearbox, also you can modify it to coil spring locally to make it a mean machine.

Thx for the advice and support by all the ppl.... and I would like to know where i can get Land Rover Owners magazines and what's the difference with the gear box?

Shan

Thx for the advice and support by all the ppl.... and I would like to know where i can get Land Rover Owners magazines and what's the difference with the gear box?

LRO Magazines are freely available at Vijith Yapa & other major book shops

It's also on sale at virtually all Cargills Express outlets at IOC filling stations

Do note that as helpful as they are,thanks to the weak SL Rupee, the magazines sell at over Rs1000 :(

There plenty of Land Rover resources online,so start with that & google away :)

- used book stores sometimes turn up big stashes of LR mags,or if your patient,you can pick up the magazines at the year end sales at the book shops at about 1/10th of the marked price! :D

The term "LR enthusiasts" is one that is bandied about much these days...

One who bears such a title is one who has delved into the Land Rover culture...

This is not something easily explained given its highly subjective and experiential nature

...its not that you buy one because you are an enthusiast, but more that you become an enthusiast as you use it & live the Land Rover Life style - its not something quantifiable or all too easily definable

...misguided souls who seek to make a quick buck by creating abominations can hardly be classed as enthusiasts; neither can those who are blind enough to fall pray to opportunists who engage in these dubious "restorations" and "modifications"...

You assume that all Defenders on the road are "restored”, which is not entirely true,

many vehicles that ply the roads in fact are run of the mill production vehicles, in original form, that simple have been taken care of by their owners over the years, much like most other vehicles on the road...

It’s just that in recent times much publicity has been given to these "restorations" which entail slapping on new body panels and engines onto older chassis

I will be quick to point out that most of those engaged the more questionable forms of modification in the guise of "restoration" are merely shrewd schemers waiting to lure the ignorant buyers...

Could you be kind enough to clarify what you meant to express by the reference: "bunch of conservatives" :unsure:

Good one Devinda, but remember ther will always be posers, and ppl who want a Defender for the feel good factor more than anything else.

But then again there is the bunch of real enthusiasts who really do love their vehicles and the lifestyle.

In a way its hard to tell anyone who doesnt know what this LR enthusiasts do or what they are into. For them old LR's will just be old off road junkies....

LRO Magazines are freely available at Vijith Yapa & other major book shops

It's also on sale at virtually all Cargills Express outlets at IOC filling stations

Do note that as helpful as they are,thanks to the weak SL Rupee, the magazines sell at over Rs1000 :(

There plenty of Land Rover resources online,so start with that & google away :)

- used book stores sometimes turn up big stashes of LR mags,or if your patient,you can pick up the magazines at the year end sales at the book shops at about 1/10th of the marked price! :D

I'd say try your hand at Macullum (i think that's how it's spelled) road... the Old book shops there have most of the newer magazines at half price....

Edited by Supra_Natural

heh heh yeah

Last thing LR owners - the real ones - is conservative. :violent-smiley-030:

That old pumped Landie is wicked ,

I have a SR2 1961, looks like a future concept ha :rolleyes:

sorry - meant that picture of the lowered ladie.... <_<

Edited by pradfred

so u guyz suggest me to goto S3 and modify it???do u ll have any site of modification advices and such...etc

shan

Thats the best option for your budget.LR expert Souhaine is selling all his LRs.Contact him.Cant offer his contact due forum rules.

Visit lr4X4.com forum for Lady help.It got very valuble info.

MINIACE