• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Formula 1 -2008

miniace

It was such a disaster for Ferrari. Anyway I've been totally cheesed off with their double pits stop strategy. Not only do they put unnecessary pressure on the pit crew. They also compromise the 2nd drivers position. It just does not make any sense to me. Worst of all in Singapore they were not watching the track being cleared close enough.

And then Kimi had to screw up the little chance they had. I'm beginning to think they've made a hasty decision in signing him for two more years.

Looks a tough ask for Massa to claw back now. But I wish things go down to the last race, just like last year!

Anyway it was nice to see everyones' favourite glum faced winger on the top podium again. And great drive by Nico.!!

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was such a disaster for Ferrari. Anyway I've been totally cheesed off with their double pits stop strategy. Not only do they put unnecessary pressure on the pit crew. They also compromise the 2nd drivers position. It just does not make any sense to me. Worst of all in Singapore they were not watching the track being cleared close enough.

And then Kimi had to screw up the little chance they had. I'm beginning to think they've made a hasty decision in signing him for two more years.

Looks a tough ask for Massa to claw back now. But I wish things go down to the last race, just like last year!

Anyway it was nice to see everyones' favourite glum faced winger on the top podium again. And great drive by Nico.!!

That's a bit harsh on Ferrari, don't you think? Teams make mistakes with drivers often - McLaren probably cost Lewis the championship in China last year by leaving him out too long on those wet tires, causing him to go off, for example.

If not for Piquet's off (which some cynics suggest was orchestrated by Renault ;) ), Massa would surely have held onto his comfortable lead and remember, Kimi was catching Lewis at the rate of knots. It was only a matter of time before he got right under his gearbox (and maybe nudged him down an escape road ;) ).

The deployment of the SC immediately compromised Kimi's race, because irrespective of whether Massa pitted cleanly or not, he HAD to come in behind him and wait parked in line, losing everything he had; after that he was driving hard, probably very frustrated, trying to recover track position. If they had kept him out until the next lap to come in, he would have fallen even further behind on the leaderboard. Full course cautions affect F1 races big-time, which is why the FIA rarely deploys them, unlike in oval series like NASCAR, where they'll send out the pace car for a 'competition yellow' or if somebody spins out on the backstretch or if a Dale Earnhardt Junior fan tosses a beer can in Turn 2. :)

True enough, Kimi has been out of form in the latter half of the year (apart from Spa), but still, I think he'll come back strongly in 2009 and contend again.

A familiar surname might be making a return to F1! :)

senn_gp2_vale_2008_470313.jpg

Possibly the greatest F1 driver of all time (most certainly one most loved admired and respected) once famously remarked "If you think i'm good, wait till you see my nephew!"

Bruno Senna upon being crowned runner up in the GP2 circiut might well be graduating to F1 come 2009!

Aside from his racing credentials, the Senna name alone will provide immense PR value for any team signing him up no doubt!

Rumours include four seperate opportunities -

The first, is Bruno being taken on board by Honda who have not confirmed to keep either of thier existing drivers on for 2009.

His uncle Ayrton Senna had a deep and strong relationship with the Japanese concern in its F1 role as engine manufacturer having won 32 of his 41 F1 victories with Honda while at Lotus and McLaren and not forgetting his ties with the development of the NSX.

The next is possibly the most likely if at all with Bruno sitting behind the wheel of the Scuderia Toro Rosso car

Aryton Senna's old team mate Gerhard Berger is the co-owner if STR & is said to have been connected with Bruno's on track development over the years. Given Sebastian Vettel promotion to R3d Bvll in 2009 it would all seem a perfect fit. The only thing getting in young Senna's way would be another GP2 winner,Sebastien Buemi who is currently a R3d Bvll test driver.

The next two are far out there, but worth of mention none the less

Some say that McLaren might be interested in signing the nephew of a driver who won the championship for them 3 times over purely for the buzz it would create! It might well be only a test seat for 2009 and to then go onto replace Kovalainen in 2010 once his contract expires.

Bruno has also recently signed a sponsorship deal with Hilton, one of McLaren’s major sponsors. Another McLaren backer, Santander, features on his GP2 car.

The final rumour is of a move into BMW, but Bruno himself has dismissed this. The start of it could well have been his beginings at BMW and the fact that Petrobas of Brazil sponsors the team.

whichever way,only time will tell - but it would be interesting to see if he lives upto the name and even more so to his uncles legacy!

Edited by Devinda_Z

That's a bit harsh on Ferrari, don't you think? Teams make mistakes with drivers often - McLaren probably cost Lewis the championship in China last year by leaving him out too long on those wet tires, causing him to go off, for example.

If not for Piquet's off (which some cynics suggest was orchestrated by Renault ;) ), Massa would surely have held onto his comfortable lead and remember, Kimi was catching Lewis at the rate of knots. It was only a matter of time before he got right under his gearbox (and maybe nudged him down an escape road ;) ).

The deployment of the SC immediately compromised Kimi's race, because irrespective of whether Massa pitted cleanly or not, he HAD to come in behind him and wait parked in line, losing everything he had; after that he was driving hard, probably very frustrated, trying to recover track position. If they had kept him out until the next lap to come in, he would have fallen even further behind on the leaderboard. Full course cautions affect F1 races big-time, which is why the FIA rarely deploys them, unlike in oval series like NASCAR, where they'll send out the pace car for a 'competition yellow' or if somebody spins out on the backstretch or if a Dale Earnhardt Junior fan tosses a beer can in Turn 2. :)

True enough, Kimi has been out of form in the latter half of the year (apart from Spa), but still, I think he'll come back strongly in 2009 and contend again.

Hmm but it is so frustrating to see them mess up. Especially after the clinical efficiency we are used to seeing from the scuderia.

I thought if they left Kimi out, not only would he have got into the lead, he would've got a much quicker stop. And the pace car came in one lap after the pit stop. From the lead Kimi could have put in a few very quick laps given the light load and the pace he was setting just prior to Piquets' crash and come in for a one stopper.

Then the pit crew may not have been under so much pressure and maybe the mishap would not have occured.

We too were talking the same about Piquet setting up Alonso's win :lol:

Anyway as Luca Di Monto has pointed out the Singapore street circuit is flawed by not having eoungh run off areas which mean for every little nudge the pace car will have to come and alter the race.

I hope Kimi will bounce back. I'm a bit worried that he's said that his favourite passtime is SLEEPING!!!! :blink:

Did you see the Fifth Gear ep where he came on? "I'm used to cars with more front downforce". Classic! So casual! :D

Typical of an F1 driver i was gonna say, but then suddenly realised he hasn't graduated yet!

he's certainly got the trappings of one then! :lol:

yup wasn't it this same episode during the 911 Turbo & GTR test?

Hmm but it is so frustrating to see them mess up. Especially after the clinical efficiency we are used to seeing from the scuderia.

I thought if they left Kimi out, not only would he have got into the lead, he would've got a much quicker stop. And the pace car came in one lap after the pit stop. From the lead Kimi could have put in a few very quick laps given the light load and the pace he was setting just prior to Piquets' crash and come in for a one stopper.

Then the pit crew may not have been under so much pressure and maybe the mishap would not have occured.

We too were talking the same about Piquet setting up Alonso's win :lol:

Anyway as Luca Di Monto has pointed out the Singapore street circuit is flawed by not having eoungh run off areas which mean for every little nudge the pace car will have to come and alter the race.

I hope Kimi will bounce back. I'm a bit worried that he's said that his favourite passtime is SLEEPING!!!! :blink:

Guys i myself had this thought in the back of my mind but i doubt any team will pull a stunt like that by destroying their very expensive cars to smithereens, where a subsequent win as a result of such incidents would hardly even impact a contention for the championship title at almost the end of a season. Besides if you heard the team radio conversation between Alonso and the pit wall, they were clueless about the current position they were at, at the time and asked him to keep pushing Orchestrated… Highly unlikely.

regarding the street circuit not having adequate runoff areas, i suppose the drivers found it to be a new challenge. I guess the whole package makes it more appealing. no runoffs, SC..incidents...spicing things up..

Edited by Overdrive

Typical of an F1 driver i was gonna say, but then suddenly realised he hasn't graduated yet!

he's certainly got the trappings of one then! :lol:

yup wasn't it this same episode during the 911 Turbo & GTR test?

GP2 cars have front wings too ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Japanese grand prix 2008

Well done to Alonso for his back to back victory and to his team mate for finishing 4th. Pure class that was. I think its safe to say that Renault has progressed quite well in regaining its performance. Now only just behind the Ferrari’s and the Mclarens in terms of performance. Kubica's BMW didn't quite have the pace to keep up with the double world champ, nevertheless I think he's brilliant for being the most consistent driver throughout this season.

Not a good day for Mclaren and definitely not one for Lewis. A bad start was followed by an aggressive attempt to push kimi off, and then the incident with massa later on. I feel the Hamilton drive through penalty was a bit too harsh , but as Lewis quoted ''its the name of the game'' and just move on to the next. However he should be more cautious if he needs the world champion victory this year as I feel the FIA is all out to penalise LH for the smallest mistake.

Massa was a right old toss*r today. I think he fully deserved the drive through penalty for the Hamilton incident as he was at the time clearly beyond the white line, and then again had contact with bourdais who was in the inside line after his pit exit and massa was out of position and cut across. It is out of order as Bourdais, now has been given a drop in position from 6th to 10th with 25 seconds added to his time. And massa gains another point as a result lowering the gap of LH to just 5 points now ! FIA decisions are now quite questionable as I feel there is a lot of favouritism towards Ferrari.

On a separate note I hear jean todt is looking at a position in the FIA ;) hmmm…

Edited by Overdrive

The penalty for Bourdais is by far the stupidest decision the FIA stewards have ever taken, considering the fact that Seb stayed within the pit-exit lane, as far over as possible, and Massa just drove straight into him.

Good job Alonso, but if Hamilton hadn't destroyed his, Kimi's, Heikki's and Felipe's races at the start it is unlikely that Alonso would have made it onto the podium. So far this year, apart from Massa, Hamilton and Raikonnen, the only guy to properly race to a win was Vettel in Monza. Heikki, Kubica and Alonso (twice now) have just been at the right place at the right time. No disrespect, winning is winning and they had to drive well, but of the 7 winners this year only 4 of them have fully deserved their wins.

We've had a super run of races though and F1 is at its most competitive - the top 18 qualifiers yesterday were only covered by 1.2 seconds, which is mind-boggling to think about. It's a shame that the FIA stewards have to be such douchebags. I'll lose a lot of faith in them if this penalty is allowed to stand.

The penalty for Bourdais is by far the stupidest decision the FIA stewards have ever taken, considering the fact that Seb stayed within the pit-exit lane, as far over as possible, and Massa just drove straight into him.

Good job Alonso, but if Hamilton hadn't destroyed his, Kimi's, Heikki's and Felipe's races at the start it is unlikely that Alonso would have made it onto the podium. So far this year, apart from Massa, Hamilton and Raikonnen, the only guy to properly race to a win was Vettel in Monza. Heikki, Kubica and Alonso (twice now) have just been at the right place at the right time. No disrespect, winning is winning and they had to drive well, but of the 7 winners this year only 4 of them have fully deserved their wins.

We've had a super run of races though and F1 is at its most competitive - the top 18 qualifiers yesterday were only covered by 1.2 seconds, which is mind-boggling to think about. It's a shame that the FIA stewards have to be such douchebags. I'll lose a lot of faith in them if this penalty is allowed to stand.

Vettel IMO was very lucky in Monza- it took two days of rain plus a dramatic turn of events playing into he's hands that helped him win the race. While it was a good victory- none the less, it was not without luck!

Vettel IMO was very lucky in Monza- it took two days of rain plus a dramatic turn of events playing into he's hands that helped him win the race. While it was a good victory- none the less, it was not without luck!

What were the lucky circumstances? All 20 drivers qualified in the identical conditions in Q1, Q2 and Q3, and he took a clean pole. He then beat the fastest McLaren on the day (Heikki) on pace. Wet races are part and parcel of F1 and he wasn't presented with any lucky circumstances because he earned the pole before winning the race. He never put a wheel wrong and didn't have to rely on somebody falling off the road to win.

This again is nothing to take away from the other guys. Fox example, If not for Heikki's engine failure yesterday, he was looking good for the win because he was fueled heavier and was already matching Alonso's and Kubica's pace. What goes around comes around so you take what you get.

What were the lucky circumstances? All 20 drivers qualified in the identical conditions in Q1, Q2 and Q3, and he took a clean pole. He then beat the fastest McLaren on the day (Heikki) on pace. Wet races are part and parcel of F1 and he wasn't presented with any lucky circumstances because he earned the pole before winning the race. He never put a wheel wrong and didn't have to rely on somebody falling off the road to win.

This again is nothing to take away from the other guys. Fox example, If not for Heikki's engine failure yesterday, he was looking good for the win because he was fueled heavier and was already matching Alonso's and Kubica's pace. What goes around comes around so you take what you get.

He had the luxury of starting off from he's debut pole behind the safety car- a normal start in the wet would have been chaos.

He had a wet race to begin with which ensured that the faster cars would be equalized

He had clean run from pole not having to contend with the spray all other following cars had to deal with, a nice advantage to have

Massa was 6th, Kimi 14th LH 15th, the BMW's 10th & 11th how often would you have a qualifying combination like that? Qualifying was indeed weather effected!

He was very fortunate with the weather again- when he's 2nd pit stop came around just as conditions changed

hmmm yeah I guess he was not lucky :) But fortune does favor the brave!

Yawn. Got some much more interesting F1 news. Well, not F1 news per say, but related to F1

http://jalopnik.com/5061609/f1-boss-bernie...i+nude-for-peta

quick question, except for the random clop here and there on YouTube, does anyone know where one could watch the F1 races online?

Like this?

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4441541/Fo...NFO.WS.PDTV-433

He had the luxury of starting off from he's debut pole behind the safety car- a normal start in the wet would have been chaos.

It was the same for everybody. He earned the pole the hard way and would have had a clear track and thereby been able to lead comfortably down into Turn 1.

He had a wet race to begin with which ensured that the faster cars would be equalized

The drivers in those faster cars had the exact same opportunities as he did in qualifying, and they squandered them.

He had clean run from pole not having to contend with the spray all other following cars had to deal with, a nice advantage to have

This is usually the advantage that pole-sitters gain. That's why the mad rush on Saturdays to be fastest.

Massa was 6th, Kimi 14th LH 15th, the BMW's 10th & 11th how often would you have a qualifying combination like that?

Again, the weather was the same for all the drivers through each of the 3 qualifying sessions. It's not as if he set quicker times when the track was drier. They had faster cars, they dicked around, and they paid the price.

Qualifying was indeed weather effected!

He was very fortunate with the weather again- when he's 2nd pit stop came around just as conditions changed

Rain is a huge part and parcel of Formula 1, and you can't claim to have an off weekend because the track was wet. It is the same challenge for everyone and usually, the best drivers shine in the rain. History will bear witness: Ayrton Senna, Stefan Bellof, Michael Schumacher and indeed Lewis Hamilton now.

hmmm yeah I guess he was not lucky :) But fortune does favor the brave!

Nope, he wasn't lucky. Kubica winning after Hamilton taking out himself and Kimi in Canada is lucky. Heikki winning after Massa's car breaks down 2 laps from the end is lucky. Alonso winning after the SC phase in Singapore is lucky and Alonso winning after Hamilton destroyed the races of the 4 leading drivers in the field is lucky. :)