• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Manual Ecu Reset

Rastima

Question

Hi Guys,

One of my friend had done a engine tune up for his FB 15 car and he had cleaned Injectors, replaced the pulgs and RESET THE ECU Garage person has done a Manual Resetting.

Will this manual reset really works? or do we need to go to the agent and reset the ECU setting from their "Scan Testers - Consult II"?

14 answers to this question

Hi Guys,

One of my friend had done a engine tune up for his FB 15 car and he had cleaned Injectors, replaced the pulgs and RESET THE ECU Garage person has done a Manual Resetting.

Will this manual reset really works? or do we need to go to the agent and reset the ECU setting from their "Scan Testers - Consult II"?

There are few way to do manual reset the ECU. Theory is you have to cut off power from the ECU and re plug the power. Anyway to rebuild the ECU programs itself you have to start the engine about 10 minutes until engine comes to working temperature. You shouldn't accelerate the engine until its comes to running temperature.

Edited by Nilantha

There are few way to do manual reset the ECU. Theory is you have to cut off power from the ECU and re plug the power. Anyway to rebuild the ECU programs itself you have to start the engine about 10 minutes until engine comes to working temperature. You shouldn't accelerate the engine until its comes to running temperature.

Thanks bro,

as you said, this manual reset would work just fine right? will it reset all the settings and bring the system back to correct Idle level/stage?

I am work big workshop US Army Iraq.We got lot of electronic issues Japanes vehicles and American vehicles.I am repairing all of them.Please let me know what is your problem and vehicle brand and model.I can help to you solve the problem.This is my e mail [email protected]

I am work big workshop US Army Iraq.We got lot of electronic issues Japanes vehicles and American vehicles.I am repairing all of them.Please let me know what is your problem and vehicle brand and model.I can help to you solve the problem.This is my e mail [email protected]

It'll be useful for all the forum readers if you post your advise/solution on the forum itself unless otherwise post contains non allowed content such as advertising. :rolleyes:

If I'm not mistaken the problem rather the question was how to reset ECU without using software. AFAIK there are many ways to do this and can vary depend on the vehicle. I did mine by removing both battery cables and contact positive and ground cables together (of course without any supply on it :angry-smiley-048: ).

Re set the ecu, what exactly are you trying to achieve? If you are trying to erase recorded fault codes from the memory after a repair, removing power to the ecu in older Honda's and toyota models worked. If you are trying to make the ecu run on default values and not on learnt values if there is such a programme in your car the above method worked,occasionally.

The memory in most pre eobd cars would clear itself after a succsessful repair-like ABS sensor faults even in recent cars.

The method varies so much from one make to another. There are several non manufacturer specific diagnostic programmes available which can do this work successfully, here they cost around £1500 to buy plus annual software up grades, I am sure these can be bought in places like Singapore a lot cheaper, and available in SL.

Find the place make sure they can handle your make, model and the year and have a scan performed, any faults checked/sorted out and codes erased from memory and if needed and possible basic settings carried out.

Good luck.

Re set the ecu, what exactly are you trying to achieve? If you are trying to erase recorded fault codes from the memory after a repair, removing power to the ecu in older Honda's and toyota models worked. If you are trying to make the ecu run on default values and not on learnt values if there is such a programme in your car the above method worked,occasionally.

The memory in most pre eobd cars would clear itself after a succsessful repair-like ABS sensor faults even in recent cars.

The method varies so much from one make to another. There are several non manufacturer specific diagnostic programmes available which can do this work successfully, here they cost around £1500 to buy plus annual software up grades, I am sure these can be bought in places like Singapore a lot cheaper, and available in SL.

Find the place make sure they can handle your make, model and the year and have a scan performed, any faults checked/sorted out and codes erased from memory and if needed and possible basic settings carried out.

Good luck.

Hi Mithri, I'm searching on the web for a good software which can handle Peugeot ECU. Can I have your email address or if you don't wish to publish, can you send a test mail to [email protected]? I'll email you my request. Really appreciate a help in this :rolleyes:

Will it reset all the settings and bring the system back to correct/default Idle level/stage?

If your ECU has no problem itself, it will come to default settings. But if your engine components have defects, again it will record to ECU and the ECU work as previous.

If your ECU has no problem itself, it will come to default settings. But if your engine components have defects, again it will record to ECU and the ECU work as previous.

Nilantha,

Based on all you guys comments, I think better to take that car in to Agents and do only a ECU reset. hope that will resolve most of the issues (if ECU has wrong records) correct?

Edited by lakpriya

Nilantha,

Based on all you guys comments, I think better to take that car in to Agents and do only a ECU reset. hope that will resolve most of the issues (if ECU has wrong records) correct?

No.

with the agents they have ECU Reader. When you go to the agents they will plug the ECU Scanner to your vehicles ECU Diagnosis socket. From the scanner they will analyst the ECU outputs (the scanner will get and convert errors and information codes which return from the ECU to human readable language). Then every one can see that what are the current problems of the engine and its components. (Plugs, Timing belt, Timing, situation of the sensors, Air inflow, out flow and so on) so technician can fix the errors easily. After fixing defective engine components the technician can rest the ECU. After that the engine works fine.

No.

with the agents they have ECU Reader. When you go to the agents they will plug the ECU Scanner to your vehicles ECU Diagnosis socket. From the scanner they will analyst the ECU outputs (the scanner will get and convert errors and information codes which return from the ECU to human readable language). Then every one can see that what are the current problems of the engine and its components. (Plugs, Timing belt, Timing, situation of the sensors, Air inflow, out flow and so on) so technician can fix the errors easily. After fixing defective engine components the technician can rest the ECU. After that the engine works fine.

Nilantha, thanks for the advice.

my mechanic is one of x-a*w guys name "Ravi" at Kelaniya and he normally does the same thing and he always do the mannual ECU reset and working fine for me (and most of my friends). once, just after his mannual reset, i took the car in to agents and did the scan, and found that everything is set to it's default values with out any issues.

My thought is to take our cars to well expericed mechanics rather putting here and there. what do you guys think?