• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Landcruiser Bj40

satyajit

Coming back to the Misubishi, if over sized wheels are used does it affect the Breaking System.

As I find that even the mud gaurds are croped a bit to accomodate the oversize tyres when turning etc.

Is this good practice? How will it affect the performance and is it SAFE???

Also I have seen FOUR shocks in the rear! Is this good and how will this EXTRA stuff affect this jeeb.

Satyajit.

The bigger the diameter of the wheels, the more break force needed to stop the vehicle. So if the wheels are significantly bigger you should either upgrade your breaking system (ideally put bigger discs or drums in) or at least be very mindful of this when driving.

As for Mitsubishi 4DR5 vs BJ40 (both non turbo) its a really tough choice though I think the Land Cruiser has a slight edge owing to its legendary reputation. But to be honest there are more Mitsubishi's in the country than Land Cruisers so the Mitsubishi is probably a tee bit easier to live with and maintain.

In the end everything depends on the condition of the vehicle.

I suggest you look for an un adulterated totally original specimen with everything where its supposed to be and start from there. Modifications only add to the vehicle when its done with purpose and a sound mind. Very often a lot of modifications are purely cosmetic and does not add much to the vehicle or its usability.

If one is to choose between a modified Toyota BJ 40(non turbo) versus 4DR6 Turbo Mitsbishi: which is better??????

Any straight forward answers, without ifs & buts PLEASE!!!!!!!

Satyajit

ACCORDING TO MY EXPERIENCE Mitsubishi is better than Toyota BJ40 because of many reasons which I mentioned in previous posts. However cannot compare the BJ40 engine with 4DR6 in performance since 4DR6 having turbo while BJ40 doesnt. Anyway between 4DR5 (non turbo charged) vs BJ40, 4DR5 is better.

Remember this is on my experience.

If one is to choose between a modified Toyota BJ 40(non turbo) versus 4DR6 Turbo Mitsbishi: which is better??????

Any straight forward answers, without ifs & buts PLEASE!!!!!!!

Satyajit

My experience is 4DR5 and 4DR6 engines are little thirstier than BJ40. I had a 4DR5 with a good engine and it did around 6~8 kms per ltr while my friend’s BJ40 does 10~11 kms per ltr with A/C.

After sometime I get a chance to put my 2 cents worth.

Before you do anything what is your budget?? And the requirement?

The difference between european and jap vehicles is that european vehicles are built strongly (in the chassis) and also they handle well at speed. I dont think most newer japanese vehicles that we see on SL roads can keep up with old european vehicles when it comes to handling at high speed. European vehicle users your feedback please.

Putting more power into an old vehicle would mean good power, but one must understand that the vehicle is around 20 - 25 years old and were not built for the sort of speeds that we talk about these days.

Good example is one of my friends who is using an old daihatsu Rocky, he acknowledges that putting more power will not help him as his vehicle is old and will not keep on the road.

So take this leaf off his book before you go and do yourself or your vehicle serious harm.

Coil springs, yes a good idea, but do not hope to get too much handling off it.

There was a user in this forum called cruiser head, I believe he should be able to help you out with BJ's and 4DR's if he is the same person that I think he is.... And you can get good advice from him...

Once again small thing to remember do not do extreme off roading without strengthening your chassis as they tend to twist easily... You can go under a Land Rover and a BJ or a 4DR and check the chassis to see the difference in the way they are put to gether.

I shall await your response on my question on what purpose you are looking to buy a Jeep type vehicle and your budget..

After sometime I get a chance to put my 2 cents worth.

Before you do anything what is your budget?? And the requirement?

The difference between european and jap vehicles is that european vehicles are built strongly (in the chassis) and also they handle well at speed. I dont think most newer japanese vehicles that we see on SL roads can keep up with old european vehicles when it comes to handling at high speed. European vehicle users your feedback please.

Putting more power into an old vehicle would mean good power, but one must understand that the vehicle is around 20 - 25 years old and were not built for the sort of speeds that we talk about these days.

Good example is one of my friends who is using an old daihatsu Rocky, he acknowledges that putting more power will not help him as his vehicle is old and will not keep on the road.

So take this leaf off his book before you go and do yourself or your vehicle serious harm.

Coil springs, yes a good idea, but do not hope to get too much handling off it.

There was a user in this forum called cruiser head, I believe he should be able to help you out with BJ's and 4DR's if he is the same person that I think he is.... And you can get good advice from him...

Once again small thing to remember do not do extreme off roading without strengthening your chassis as they tend to twist easily... You can go under a Land Rover and a BJ or a 4DR and check the chassis to see the difference in the way they are put to gether.

I shall await your response on my question on what purpose you are looking to buy a Jeep type vehicle and your budget..

Yea I just wanna do some travelling around the country, probably use it for some wild life tours too. My budget is about 1,5M.

Got to be reliable & neat & Tidy too. Preference will be for a canvas top.

Any help????

Satyajit.

Yea I just wanna do some travelling around the country, probably use it for some wild life tours too. My budget is about 1,5M.

Any help????

Satyajit.

Seems a good cause. And well your right to travel around this country you'll need a 4wd or anything that has loads of ground clearance.

I'm not sure if you can find a BJ40 in that budget range, but a 4DR yes... Why dont you consider something like a Mitsubishi Pajero Short Wheel base or a Daihatsu Rocky. Would be in the same budget range also a Nissan Patrol the one b4 the Y60 (they call it police model) can also be in that range. Now these are real good off roaders and will be very reliable as well. They will look neat as well..

Any help????

Satyajit.

hi

i prefered for u bj40 for ur requirement coz i have experiance with driveing bj40 and bj43 if u doing wild life BJ40/43 is excelent, power of the engine good not like 4DR5 noremaly BJ 40 coming 3.2L engine when u driving u feal the speed of the engine

Seems a good cause. And well your right to travel around this country you'll need a 4wd or anything that has loads of ground clearance.

I'm not sure if you can find a BJ40 in that budget range, but a 4DR yes... Why dont you consider something like a Mitsubishi Pajero Short Wheel base or a Daihatsu Rocky. Would be in the same budget range also a Nissan Patrol the one b4 the Y60 (they call it police model) can also be in that range. Now these are real good off roaders and will be very reliable as well. They will look neat as well..

This is very good advice Gummybr. The 4DR's and BJ40's are excellent off roaders but on the road they tend to be stiff and uncomfortable and in a way a Pajero short wheel is an excellent compromise between a hard core off roader and a soft core tarmac 4WD as they are not bad at all off road but do come with comforts such as factory fitted air conditioner fabric interior and coil spring suspension.

Even a hilux double cab has the potential to be a very serious off roader and an early edition might be within a 1.5 mil budget.

It is indeed the chassies that make European vehicles what they are. I guess you may remember that top gear episode with the Hilux where in the end after all sorts of things being done to it, it was still running though it was a case of the body holding together the chassy !

But reliability wise I think the Europeans can take a lesson out of the Japanese book, cos thats the only spoiler when it comes to European off roaders. I mean I read this blog on another site where this couple decided to go on an african expedition from the UK via France-Spain and Morocco all the way to South Africa, and spent months getting their Land Rover 110 200TDI ready converting it to what they called a camel expedition spec, but the bloddy thing broke down all the way to South Africa and they spent £5000 on repairs on route (after spending probably more than that getting the vehicle ready and checking everything before it left the country).

Now I'm a great great lover of the Land Rover and will DEFINITELY own one the first instance I get.

But in all honesty if you were facing this situation, you have to take a vehicle to the bush or the desert with civilisation a couple of days away and no help in sight, which would be your priority ? Off road ability OR reliability (understanding you need a combination of both)

Edited by The Don

This is very good advice Gummybr.

These are lessons that you learn everyday when you sell premium products. You must always address the situation correctly. Problem with our fellows is that they just go on and on about stuff that will be irrelevant to the buyer. Can say a big mistake done by todays marketers.

Yes I agree with you on the fact that European vehicles need to step up2 the jap standards in reliability, they are slowly but surely getting there due to the threat the Luxury / Premium Japs (Lexus, Infinity, and to a lesser extent Acura) have on offer cos they are at the moment eating in2 their premium markets in US, and soon in europe too.

Could have gone and told you to get a LR, but what I suggested to you were the best practical vehicles that you can find easily. Just go through the papers and look for some good vehicle.

These are lessons that you learn everyday when you sell premium products. You must always address the situation correctly. Problem with our fellows is that they just go on and on about stuff that will be irrelevant to the buyer. Can say a big mistake done by todays marketers.

Yes I agree with you on the fact that European vehicles need to step up2 the jap standards in reliability, they are slowly but surely getting there due to the threat the Luxury / Premium Japs (Lexus, Infinity, and to a lesser extent Acura) have on offer cos they are at the moment eating in2 their premium markets in US, and soon in europe too.

Could have gone and told you to get a LR, but what I suggested to you were the best practical vehicles that you can find easily. Just go through the papers and look for some good vehicle.

Yeps. I'm keen to see what changes will be brought about in LR after the TATA take over, because Ford obviously did a lot of good work at LR and was slowly but surely helping them to blemish the reputation of unreliability.

Something I find funny is that the Defenders seem to hold their value quite well compared to the old Discoverys though problems affecting the two models were similar (engine gear box and running gear problems)

I think we have to accept Land Cruisers and Patrols have the potential to become serious off road vehicles (even the Pajeros) and the fact the UN and a lot of the aid agencies who work in Africa using Land Cruisers is ample proof of that fact. Plus no other manufacturer has won the Paris Dakar rally with as much consistency as Mitsubishi.

Probably the perfect serious off road vehicle might be a Land Rover defender with Toyota running gear and engine :)

I think demand for luxury SUV's in Europe and America has already seen its peak particularly in Europe and would probably start to decline as issues with environment, congestion, pollution and legislation make them unattractive purchases. Possibly their biggest market now will be Asia.

Probably the perfect serious off road vehicle might be a Land Rover defender with Toyota running gear and engine :)

Indika had a LR 110 Single Cab with a Toyota Motor+Autobox (4.2L :unsure: )

not too sure if it was any good, but trust someone in sunny SL to have tried the combo :lol:

Indika had a LR 110 Single Cab with a Toyota Motor+Autobox (4.2L :unsure: )

not too sure if it was any good, but trust someone in sunny SL to have tried the combo :lol:

I know someone who runs a Landcruiser 4.2L Sahara engine in a Defender 90. Guys owns a garage in Narahenpita - 'Reliable Motors' is the name if I'm not mistaken.

I know someone who runs a Landcruiser 4.2L Sahara engine in a Defender 90. Guys owns a garage in Narahenpita - 'Reliable Motors' is the name if I'm not mistaken.

Well he sold it to Indika, and Indika is selling it with a 12J engine. There is a guy in the 4WD Club who uses a Defender 110 Single Cab (ex-electric Indika as known by the LROC) with a Toyota Sahara engine and AT transmission. Not for sale though.... He had a ad in autlanka for his old Nissan / Datsun Double Cab with the lights and the works.

• 2 weeks later...
Well he sold it to Indika, and Indika is selling it with a 12J engine. There is a guy in the 4WD Club who uses a Defender 110 Single Cab (ex-electric Indika as known by the LROC) with a Toyota Sahara engine and AT transmission. Not for sale though.... He had a ad in autlanka for his old Nissan / Datsun Double Cab with the lights and the works.

Hi,

Whats the difference between a BJ40 & BJ43, apart from the length?????

Are there any major difference in performance??

Satyajit.