• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Experts! Please Help Me To Select The Best Car For The Criteria!!!!!!!

Car Maniac

Question

Currently Im an owner of a Maruti 800. After getting bored of this Indian car (I feel really tired after driving it for few kms), I thought of shifting to a Japanese hatchback.

My budget is around one million (1M).

I have to drive mainly in Colombo, sometimes during rush hours and sometimes during the day time.

After a quick here and there research I thought of making a choice between the following cars because I personally like them all equally.

1. Toyota Starlet EP 82 (manual gear) - not the GT version, I like the normal model with 1.3 L engine

2. Toyota Starlet EP 91 (manual gear) - again, not the Glanza. I prefer the normal model

3. Nissan March K11 (1000cc manual or 1300cc manual)

Previously I read your discussions about nissan marchs and starlets in the forum. But still Im unable to make my decision what to buy, confidently. Therefore I will be grateful if you guys can help me to clarify.

My criteria is as follows.

1. The car should be highly fuel efficient.

2. It should be free from any serious troubles like.... you know guys.... engine troubles, costly repairs

3. Peace of mind driving.

4. Good resale value with minimum cost of maintenance.

Straight forward to the subject, please can you guys tell me will I be able to find a car for around 1 million from the above given list of cars? Any car, my choice is manual gear. So please can you experts tell me roughly the fuel efficiencies (specially the fuel consumptions within Colombo cos I mainly drive within Colombo city) and current market prices of the above list of cars and also which car do you think will best suit my criteria? :unsure:

Specially I would like to know about fuel efficiency levels of the above cars separately because hence the amount I can spend on fuel is quite limited. (for manual gear cars only)

The number is not really a matter for me but better if its around 300 - or early G English numbers.

What is the best mileage that can be seen on the above cars during the current time?

And I have heard some engines have passed 1 lack kms so in your opinion will it be safe to buy that much old cars? What is the safest engine life expectancy for Japanese cars?

If you people know any troubles sticked to certain models, I would be pleased to know them too.

Will my decision to shift from a fuel efficient Indian car to a Japanese car be an accurate decision?

Currently Im in a situation which needs a fast and a quick decision what to buy and how much it will cost? So I will be thankful again if you car experts can provide me the answers for the above questions asap.

Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Car Maniac

And I have heard some engines have passed 1 lack kms so in your opinion will it be safe to buy that much old cars? What is the safest engine life expectancy for Japanese cars?

for your budget you won't anyway get a car with lesser mileage for starters. Most motors can do multiple 100,000k if maintained and used properly. you will get the occasional repairs here and there but they do last a long long time. Don't have to worry too much on the mileage if the "brand" is one that holds some respect for their ruggedness and the vehicle been maintained and run properly.

Will my decision to shift from a fuel efficient Indian car to a Japanese car be an accurate decision?

IMHO switching from and Indian a Jap car is of course a good decision any day :) at least for the moment since Japs are decades ahead of the indians in many fronts.

Dunno too much about the two models you're inquiring here so i'll leave that to the experts.

Maybe the Toyota might be a better choice since it has an almost cult like following in SL in terms second hand value and reliability.

Currently Im an owner of a Maruti 800. After getting bored of this Indian car (I feel really tired after driving it for few kms), I thought of shifting to a Japanese hatchback.

My budget is around one million (1M).

I have to drive mainly in Colombo, sometimes during rush hours and sometimes during the day time.

After a quick here and there research I thought of making a choice between the following cars because I personally like them all equally.

1. Toyota Starlet EP 82 (manual gear)

2. Toyota Starlet EP 91 (manual gear)

3. Nissan March K11 (1000cc manual or 1300cc manual)

Previously I read your discussions about nissan marchs and starlets in the forum. But still Im unable to make my decision what to buy, confidently. Therefore I will be grateful if you guys can help me to clarify.

My criteria is as follows.

1. The car should be highly fuel efficient.

2. It should be free from any serious troubles like.... you know guys.... engine troubles, costly repairs

3. Peace of mind driving.

4. Good resale value with minimum cost of maintenance.

Straight forward to the subject, please can you guys tell me will I be able to find a car for around 1 million from the above given list of cars? Any car, my choice is manual gear. So please can you experts tell me roughly the fuel efficiencies (specially the fuel consumptions within Colombo cos I mainly drive within Colombo city) and current market prices of the above list of cars and also which car do you think will best suit my criteria? :unsure:

Specially I would like to know about fuel efficiency levels of the above cars separately because hence the amount I can spend on fuel is quite limited. (for manual gear cars only)

The number is not really a matter for me but better if its around 300 - or early G English numbers.

What is the best mileage that can be seen on the above cars during the current time?

If you people know any troubles sticked to certain models, I would be pleased to know them too.

Currently Im in a situation which needs a fast and a quick decision what to buy and how much it will cost? So I will be thankful again if you car experts can provide me the answers for the above questions asap.

Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi

i've been using a toyota starlet ep82 for over 2 years now, i bought it from a lady doctor and those days it was not that good on performance, i then had an idea og doing a GT swap but gave it up cause then the market value would decrease :-(.

i should say the fuel consumption on the car is really good, but you can say , it all depends on how you drive it, if you could shift all 5 gears below 50 km/ph, then you could get it to around 14km-15km in city limits, i travel from pilynadal to rajagiriya every day and it costs me around 6k to 7k worth of petrol a month,. this includes the weekends and sometimes i just step on it when i feel like, it all depends on ho you maintain it, use high quality oils and genuine parts along with the proper filters,

The engine should be very smooth and the tuning should be perfect.

Coming to the maintainence factor , i really dont know about the ep 91 (very similar though) is very low, the car has not given me any trouble ever since (touch wood) just once when the accelarator cable broke, the only drawback i see about this car is the space factor, the rear passengers have very little leg space. it all depends on the proper maintenence - service at proper times, and constant care

about the market prices, according to my knowledge 1 million would not be enough to go for an ep 91 with 300- oplates and above, a good conditioned EP 82 would be a really good investment according to your mentioned needs. About the nissan march _ i believe its less spacious and less sporty lookinG :-). up to you bro

being an ex-maruti user i believe that is a very very very very good decesion. god how i ha__ those cars,

Cheers.

hi

i've been using a toyota starlet ep82 for over 2 years now, i bought it from a lady doctor and those days it was not that good on performance, i then had an idea og doing a GT swap but gave it up cause then the market value would decrease :-(.

i should say the fuel consumption on the car is really good, but you can say , it all depends on how you drive it, if you could shift all 5 gears below 50 km/ph, then you could get it to around 14km-15km in city limits, i travel from pilynadal to rajagiriya every day and it costs me around 6k to 7k worth of petrol a month,. this includes the weekends and sometimes i just step on it when i feel like, it all depends on ho you maintain it, use high quality oils and genuine parts along with the proper filters,

The engine should be very smooth and the tuning should be perfect.

Coming to the maintainence factor , i really dont know about the ep 91 (very similar though) is very low, the car has not given me any trouble ever since (touch wood) just once when the accelarator cable broke, the only drawback i see about this car is the space factor, the rear passengers have very little leg space. it all depends on the proper maintenence - service at proper times, and constant care

about the market prices, according to my knowledge 1 million would not be enough to go for an ep 91 with 300- oplates and above, a good conditioned EP 82 would be a really good investment according to your mentioned needs. About the nissan march _ i believe its less spacious and less sporty lookinG :-). up to you bro

being an ex-maruti user i believe that is a very very very very good decesion. god how i ha__ those cars,

Cheers.

Hi niro123,

Thank you very much for your honest opinions on my questions. :) :) :) I really appreciate the effort and time you took to give a such a long and comprehensive answer for some of my questions.

By the way, if you dont mind can you tell me the current mileage of your starlet ep82, which year it was first registered and whether your car is 300 - or below that number? I havent seen any EP82s with English number plates. Do you think there may be at least few in Sri Lanka? Im asking about your current mileage is just to get an idea about what the mileage should be in a starlet ep82 with good engine and condition, which I can seek when car hunting...etc.

Also, what are the mechanical or any other troubles and repairs of your Starlet ep82, that you have come across during this time period of 2 years? Some people say Nissan march has the best pickup and its really comfortable. How would you think about these two factors in EP82? Cos then I can compare.

I would appreciate a lot if you can reply me soon cos Im running out of time really fast, to make my final decision what to buy.

Thanks a lot.

Have a nice day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Car Maniac

go for the ep82 cos thers nothing in ep91 range for 1mn..totally 4 get the march(too many sensors,eps,low fuel,ugly look ext ext)..the starlet is a good day to day car. specially when u buy manual..u can kick sm boost too.(weight to power) n it looks cool too..

go for the ep82 cos thers nothing in ep91 range for 1mn..totally 4 get the march(too many sensors,eps,low fuel,ugly look ext ext)..the starlet is a good day to day car. specially when u buy manual..u can kick sm boost too.(weight to power) n it looks cool too..

How would a Suzuki Alto english number reg or late 301-xxxx fare in this company??? Would like to know what you guys think.. 1000cc with a 5 speed gearbox in a small litlle car, the new Maruti Alto is 800cc am I correct?

COMPARISON NISSAN MARCH K11 Vs TOYOTA STARLET EP82

MARCH

ENGINE-1300CC

WEIGHT-830KG

POWER-79BHP

DOORS-5

TRANSMISSION -5SPEED M

FUEL SYSTEM-NISSAN EGI (ECCS)

ENGINE TYPE-Water cooling serial 4 cylinder DOHC16 valve

STARLET

ENGINE-1300CC

WEIGHT-810KG

POWER-100BHP

DOORS-5

TRANSMISSION-5SPEED M

FUEL SYSTEM-EFI-D ENGINE T

If you want power and pickup the Starlet is way ahead in power -to- weight the basic 4 speed manual has 100bhp you easily smoke the March. And if you take a sports version like the Starlet GT, well this will smoke the march in a way that you will hate the March for life! :rolleyes: Well that uses a Turbocharger. Coming back to basic cars I prefer the Starlet since not much of censors on the car ..very very basic spare parts everywhere and most of the garages do repairs for this. And fuel economy marvelous. You could easily extract 12kmpl from the basic manual starlet if engine in good running condition and you are a slow to moderate driver! Well the March on other hand will not give you that millage from what I have heard. Roughly about 10kmpl. up to you to decide. :rolleyes:

Edited by priya

Will my decision to shift from a fuel efficient Indian car to a Japanese car be an accurate decision? Yes it is accurate.

“use high quality oils and genuine parts along with the proper filters” 100% correct

So try to find properly maintained vehicle if you could find properly maintained vehicle u don’t want to really think about engine mileage.

I think better choice is TOYOTA because it is reliable, less maintain cost also it has good secondhand value.

Good luck

Will my decision to shift from a fuel efficient Indian car to a Japanese car be an accurate decision? Yes it is accurate.

“use high quality oils and genuine parts along with the proper filters” 100% correct

So try to find properly maintained vehicle if you could find properly maintained vehicle u don’t want to really think about engine mileage.

I think better choice is TOYOTA because it is reliable, less maintain cost also it has good secondhand value.

Good luck

Agree with Nilantha. Old Toyota better than new Indian! Many factors :

1)You could most definitely use it..hack it and sell it for more than what you bought it for :rolleyes:

2)Parts very easy to find

3)Not as fuel efficient as Indian but by Sri Lankan car standards does very close to VVT fuel echonomy levels 12kmpl or more.(if driven slow)

4)I think Reinforcement much better than an indian. You could get first hand experience but looking at accidents! Indian cars are built for cheap run on maintenance cost and fuel!

AFTER ALL IF ITS A CAR IT HAS TO BE A TOYOTA! :angry-smiley-048:

By the way if you decide to buy a marutee, never put expensive oil's like Mobil Synthetic...Its a massacre to do it! Get used to the cheap indian oil called Servo..believe me the cheap cheap cheap trick works! :angry-smiley-048:

Good luck

Hi

I find the words "properly maintained EP82", bit difficult to understand. So would you kindly explain me what are the factors and features that you think as significant in a properly maintained car and how can I find whether the starlet EP82 im going to buy is a properly maintained good car or not. :rolleyes: Thanks a lot for your previous advices.

What can be the mileage approximately for a 1996 - EP82 starlet with 300 - plate, if it is a properly maintained car?

And do you know whether EP82 parts are still easily available at the Toyota Lanka agents (I mean the most important parts like fuel/air filters, cv joint boots....... and reconditioned spare parts like lights...etc) cos one of my friends warned me saying since EP82 - 1996 is an old car by now, the agents may not have the spare parts so I would be in a trouble finding spares and repairing it if I buy a EP82. Please help!!!

Hope you would kindly reply the above questions too. Thanks :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi

I find the words "properly maintained EP82", bit difficult to understand. So would you kindly explain me what are the factors and features that you think as significant in a properly maintained car and how can I find whether the starlet EP82 im going to buy is a properly maintained good car or not. :rolleyes: Thanks a lot for your previous advices.

What can be the mileage approximately for a 1996 - EP82 starlet with 300 - plate, if it is a properly maintained car?

And do you know whether EP82 parts are still easily available at the Toyota Lanka agents (I mean the most important parts like fuel/air filters, cv joint boots....... and reconditioned spare parts like lights...etc) cos one of my friends warned me saying since EP82 - 1996 is an old car by now, the agents may not have the spare parts so I would be in a trouble finding spares and repairing it if I buy a EP82. Please help!!!

Hope you would kindly reply the above questions too. Thanks :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Properly maintained car is a car which has been serviced regularly and all repairs attended professionally and in a timely manner

The way to find this out is to ask for maintenance records from the current owner and through a through inspection both visual and its running condition. Look out for suspension noises, strange vibrations, rough idle, engine noises and excessive wear and tear of the interior

As per part availability, Toyota parts are relatively easier to find compared to other brands of the same vintage and genre. Older car parts are sometimes a bit more difficult to source than newer cars (body parts are actually the only significant problem as engine and suspension parts tend to be shared and thus nearly always available) but this applies to any car of the same vintage.

COMPARISON NISSAN MARCH K11 Vs TOYOTA STARLET EP82

MARCH

ENGINE-1300CC

WEIGHT-830KG

POWER-79BHP

DOORS-5

TRANSMISSION -5SPEED M

FUEL SYSTEM-NISSAN EGI (ECCS)

STARLET

ENGINE-1300CC

WEIGHT-810KG

POWER-100BHP

DOORS-5

TRANSMISSION-5SPEED M

FUEL SYSTEM-EFI-D ENGINE T

If you want power and pickup the Starlet is way ahead in power -to- weight the basic 4 speed manual has 100bhp you easily smoke the March. And if you take a sports version like the Starlet GT, well this will smoke the march in a way that you will hate the March for life! :rolleyes: Well that uses a Turbocharger. Coming back to basic cars I prefer the Starlet since not much of censors on the car ..very very basic spare parts everywhere and most of the garages do repairs for this. And fuel economy marvelous. You could easily extract 12kmpl from the basic manual starlet if engine in good running condition and you are a slow to moderate driver! Well the March on other hand will not give you that millage from what I have heard. Roughly about 10kmpl. up to you to decide. :rolleyes:

You mean 12kmpl with A/C or without A/C and in Colombo or outstation?

What do you mean by slow to moderate driver? I have heard so many guys telling about these EP 82s, that you have to shift gears in a certain way and so and so. Please can you kindly explain me why this is and how this can be done properly to increase the fuel efficiency to max.

What do you mean by slow to moderate driver? I have heard so many guys telling about these EP 82s, that you have to shift gears in a certain way and so and so. Please can you kindly explain me why this is and how this can be done properly to increase the fuel efficiency to max.

Yeah its nothing much. Its what all experienced drivers do to save fuel consumption. You have to keep the RPM down atleast below 2000 revs once it hits this shift up, the best gear to ride around if you can is 3rd and 4th gear and maintain constant speed not exceeding 60kmph. Its simple ...just a matter of getting use to it..This is what I call slow to moderate driving ..I hope you know how to do a simple and normal gear change by pressing clutch..No animatics in it as far as I know. Lets see what more experienced drivers will comment.

:alc: yep..yep..lets keep in touch... :alc: also r u selling yo car. If so I am interested. Since I know about it from Nilantha :P

Oh god no, im not selling my car, today got 2 offers at wow's and for the past 3 months got close to 10 and 3 decent offers but im not goin to sell it, Nilantha knows how much effort and money i put for my car, form the nut and bolt to Oil are perfect stuff, so machan i cant waste my time for doing another conversion, its not easy

BTW hope the brake isue of ur GT is now ok

The car has been properly maintained if:

-Regular oil change, fuel filter, air filter done on proper millage

-Regular spark plugs change

-Regular engine tuneup

-Other oils changes regularly (power steering/brake/automatic transmission etc...so on

Oh god no, im not selling my car, today got 2 offers at wow's and for the past 3 months got close to 10 and 3 decent offers but im not goin to sell it, Nilantha knows how much effort and money i put for my car, form the nut and bolt to Oil are perfect stuff, so machan i cant waste my time for doing another conversion, its not easy

To tell the truth muchung I've spent about close to a lack just for upgrading shocks,brakes,turbo so on..Brake finally resolved stops like hell now.

Thanks for inquiry..Well Sure like your car looks brilliant for a conversion! Keep it up!Much much better than the EVO 6 converted for sale in AL. for 3.5m

Hi niro123,

Thank you very much for your honest opinions on my questions. :) :) :) I really appreciate the effort and time you took to give a such a long and comprehensive answer for some of my questions.

By the way, if you dont mind can you tell me the current mileage of your starlet ep82, which year it was first registered and whether your car is 300 - or below that number? I havent seen any EP82s with English number plates. Do you think there may be at least few in Sri Lanka? Im asking about your current mileage is just to get an idea about what the mileage should be in a starlet ep82 with good engine and condition, which I can seek when car hunting...etc.

Also, what are the mechanical or any other troubles and repairs of your Starlet ep82, that you have come across during this time period of 2 years? Some people say Nissan march has the best pickup and its really comfortable. How would you think about these two factors in EP82? Cos then I can compare.

I would appreciate a lot if you can reply me soon cos Im running out of time really fast, to make my final decision what to buy.

Thanks a lot.

Have a nice day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

no problem bro, always willing to help..

mine has around 142000, when i bought it it had only around 90000, youe see machan you really cannot judge the car upon mileage these days cause 9 out of 10 cars have thier meter readings changed, my advise to you is, do not totally depend on these meter readings, even digital meters are being chanded today, i'm pretty sure even mi8ne was changed before i bought it,

the main thing to look for is the body and the chassis, see if there has bee major accidents, one way to chenk this is, request for a test drive, speed the vehicle upto 100 km ph if the vehicle start goiung all over the road, then the chassis or body is not aligned properly, ( do this safely, or let an experienced driver try this out.)The wobble could also be cause of improper wheel alignment, check that too before doing the above test. i really dont want to give wrong info:-) )) mine is a late 18 - series car, do not go for the carburattor engine, go for the EFI cause there is a slight wastage if petrol in the carb model. YOM is 1992. YOR is 1993.

speaking of repairs, for the past 2 years it had only cost me around 65k worth of reapirs. that too cause i use genuine parts, all recently i changed all 4 shocks from nalaka cost around 30k with all teh mounts and buses and everythin.

hasd the AC repaired recently too. first time after i bought it.

about pick up, im not soo sure of that, about the march having more pick up than the starlet, thats not what i've seen!!!!!!java script:add_smilie(":action-smiley-034:","smid_35")

action-smiley-034.gif

hi

i'm new at this. "another conversion" is it a standard starlet to a GT conversion, or is it a subaru as in the pic

hi

i'm new at this. "another conversion" is it a standard starlet to a GT conversion, or is it a subaru as in the pic

I mean another STi Conversion BTW heard there is a Fully Modified Starlet GT conversion for sale at Kurunagala

well iv been using a starlet gt (orginal not conversion) for about 2 and a half yrs now and so far its been pretty good to me... when i first bought it did around 12-13km per litre and still it was very quick and extremely fun to drive, well now its doing about 6-7 km per litre and hella fast hehe...