• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Breaking News

ash

straight from the horses mouth

http://www.dailymirror.lk/DM_BLOG/Sections...spx?ARTID=46431

reminds me of ######## Gunawardana's comment on reducing cost of living soon after crossing over. jokers......

Oy! don't insult horses! ;)

Since this is the breaking news thread.. whats the latest breaking news? Aside from the genocide up north which neither side is responsible for that is.

Apparantly folks from here are staging massive demonstrations in Canada, UK etc.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparantly folks from here are staging massive demonstrations in Canada, UK etc.

tell me about it bro. back in the days every time i introduced myself to someone i only had to give them a 5 minute speech on how sri lanka is a different entity from india. now i have to give them a 30 minute lecture to convince that we are not a racist nation. people are going to the extend of comparing the situation up north with darfur. i think that alone sums up our bad reputation.

of course our government is not doing themselves any favors by restricting media, representatives from world and aid organizations etc from visiting the conflict areas. which pops the question weather they got anything to hide to revert to such actions. hope they'll realize soon that releasing statements to state media is not going to change the stance or the point of view of the rest of the worlds

good that i don't own one or plant to own one anyways :)

a nice hilux sorta thing would do.... :)

A Hilux would be ideal for that terrain. or an LJ79..or a Honda XL?? last time on ma way to trinco I tried soo hard to keep up with a hammering LJ79 on those cracked,holed,bumpy roads which was driven by a Caucasian female or lets say suddi. was no doubt hitting 120. the love for my jeep and my dad being in the vehicle I had to give up the chase. NGO people drive rented ones while we drive our own. Therefore they fly while we crawl.

Also a fellow 4x4 enthusiast/army officer told me there are some scenic places in the newly liberated areas. Also some of the most wickedest Sand Dunes.. but it would be a while before we get to experience those. The furthest iv been is trinco and batti and they arnt too cool when your out of the town. I would actually love to go to jafna before i die.

LA times got a blurb about the conflict today...

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/wo...0,4125399.story

Bunch of the hoodlums were arrested in Paris

http://in.reuters.com/article/domesticNews...LK3655020090420

UK had a huge rally couple of days ago but I think most of their cries are falling on def ears.

Here's to hoping for a speedy end to this :alc:

A Hilux would be ideal for that terrain. or an LJ79..or a Honda XL?? last time on ma way to trinco I tried soo hard to keep up with a hammering LJ79 on those cracked,holed,bumpy roads which was driven by a Caucasian female or lets say suddi. was no doubt hitting 120. the love for my jeep and my dad being in the vehicle I had to give up the chase. NGO people drive rented ones while we drive our own. Therefore they fly while we crawl.

Also a fellow 4x4 enthusiast/army officer told me there are some scenic places in the newly liberated areas. Also some of the most wickedest Sand Dunes.. but it would be a while before we get to experience those. The furthest iv been is trinco and batti and they arnt too cool when your out of the town. I would actually love to go to jafna before i die.

my kinda guy you're bro :)

I got a Honda XR250...the next up from the classic sturdy monstrous xl250r... as bulletproof as offroad bikes come with a ton of torque at lower revs...perfect for long trips on harsh terrain.... :)

some of my friends once did a trop to Jafna during the cfa on their xr's and xl's...got stopped by ltte and even got the chance to meet nadeshan...ltte's head cop :)

is this fellow army guy by any potta chance be a Rajiv? Major Rajiv with a liking for LR's? :)

Oy! don't insult horses! ;)

Since this is the breaking news thread.. whats the latest breaking news? Aside from the genocide up north which neither side is responsible for that is.

actually does anyone really know the definition of "genocide" ?

I see some folks calling what's going on inn ltte areas as "genocide" but doubt many can properly back up that logic....

this is what a uni has to say in terms of a definition

http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=genocide

Key: "S:" = Show Synset (semantic) relations, "W:" = Show Word (lexical) relations

Noun

* S: (n) genocide, race murder, racial extermination (systematic killing of a racial or cultural group)

WordNet home page

actually does anyone really know the definition of "genocide" ?

I see some folks calling what's going on inn ltte areas as "genocide" but doubt many can properly back up that logic....

this is what a uni has to say in terms of a definition

You are right, that's the wrong word for that, and I apologise.

You are right, that's the wrong word for that, and I apologise.

no worries mate! :)

was getting a bit tired when likes of MIA etc was going on and on about this G word without really knowing about it IMHO...

Yet another hilarious quote from a minister

Our tax policy is that it would not affect everyone. For example when we introduced the tax on mobile phones by 10%, there were lot of criticisms but now people are paying it out without feeling it

funny thing is after chatting all this bull, when asked a serious question the man is silent

Speaking on the impending commercial arbitration law suits made by the foreign commercial banks involved in oil hedging contracts, the Minster said that already the Cabinet had appointed an ad hoc committee comprised of members of the Cabinet. He refrained from disclosing to the Daily FT any concrete figures of liability out of hedging deals, although these are known to be in the region of Rs 80 billion ,the Minister did not elaborate on how these would be provisioned

http://www.dailymirror.lk/DM_BLOG/Sections...spx?ARTID=46629

if the deputy finance minister is clueless on these questions what hope do we have????

• 1 month later...

didn't want to flood the other thread (one on the war front) with constant quotes from media. therefore moved it to this thread. here's another interesting one

Sources from Sweden’s Foreign Ministry told the Daily Mirror that their Minister was not even considering a trip to Sri Lanka in the near future and had wanted their mission in Colombo closed down after his visas were rejected by the Sri Lankan government, preventing him from arriving in the island last month along with his French and British counterparts..........

......Ministry Sources said the decision to shut down the mission, if granted, was likely because of Foreign Minister Bildt being rejected his visa and not as part of a economic constraints as stated by the Swedish government.

Sweden likely to close down mission here

http://www.dailymirror.lk/DM_BLOG/Sections...spx?ARTID=49659

IMO this is a major blow for us specially in a time when we need all the help we can get to rebuild the war torn areas

Edited by xXx

didn't want to flood the other thread (one on the war front) with constant quotes from media. therefore moved it to this thread. here's another interesting one

Sweden likely to close down mission here

http://www.dailymirror.lk/DM_BLOG/Sections...spx?ARTID=49659

IMO this is a major blow for us specially in a time when we need all the help we can get to rebuild the war torn areas

fair point but the visas getting rejected has a lot more into it :)

btw...

good news for all...stock market is up and the dollar seems to be coming down a bit....

Edited by Ripper

fair point but the visas getting rejected has a lot more into it :)

btw...

good news for all...stock market is up and the dollar seems to be coming down a bit....

care to share the story with us too mate?

stock market has certainly been buzzing. i can just picture the grin on GTAm's face. been a avid JKH fan i can see him compiling the shopping list for his next car (come on mate spill the beans lol). on a more grimmer note amount of foreign sales has had a sharp increase yesterday. i hope this is due to profit taking and has no connection with the rating downgrade.

yup rupee is sure catching up but with an adverse effect on the exports. their back at square one now. i have a feeling the rupee will start to depreciate again with the ever boosting consumer confidence and banks finally implementing the rate cuts there will be a surge in imports thus increasing the demand for USD.

hmm..... just noticed the other thread (one on situation in NE) has been locked. i'm sure its precautionary measure to up keep the peace in that thread (come on peri you know i'm not aggressive, i may talk out of my ass but surely not aggressive lol...)

hope you guys won't mind me replying to posts in that thread in this one :)

actually m8...my view or guess is a lot worse...

i think he was capture much earlier... tortured for his misdeeds and finally taken out since keeping him would've been lot worse...

sldf folks knew the man was trapped in the last few days and they somewhat new his whereabouts... since most of the fighting were quite close quarter and ltte leader wont be traveling without his security detail i doubt that there could have been a "mistaken identity"....

Ripster, you theory sounds far more logical. reminds me the fate of Wijeweera. but still i can't figure out why he surrendered or let himself captured alive.

another theory of mine is (actually it is a modification to my earlier theory) SLA came up with the ambulance theory because at that time they couldn't find VP dead or alive. so instead of saying he's missing it sounds much better to say his body is burned beyond recognition. plus this allowed MR to play his role of returning to a terror free country much better. later they found him either dead or alive rest was played out in front of the media.

anyways i'm sure we'll never know the truth for many decades to come.

I'm with supra 100% on what he says in his last post. We have to be optimistic but at the same time be a lot more responsible in our actions to make sure this cursed war and all that carnage ends here... lets not ruin future generations with these useless, worthless hostilities...

i'm sure i'm the last person you guys hope of hearing this from, but i have a feeling MR may just be the man to turn things around (trust me i'm not saying this to win the popular vote here) he's cunning and shroud enough just like JR and Premadasa to steer the country down the right path. he has a lot to work on his diplomatic skills. saying one thing to their face and another when the back is turned is definitely not the way forward. also he needs to stop trying to 'swim upstream' with the international community. we need them more than they need us. lets hope the super human powers he is to acquire in the next election won’t play tricks with his mind.

I live in wattala...stay on rent and the landlord is a tamil lady from jafna... very nice people! there's a huge tamil community in my area with a new kovil coming up very close to a church... no racial issues there and infact there are lot more churches than there are temples there...

So in my view though there are extremist elements the majority have no issues whatsover with the other races...

just that thanks to a very vocal racist extremist minority, all of sri lanka have suffered... our reputation abroad has suffered cos very few care to really look beyond the "perception" of sri lanka and sri lankans..

i just love the way you come up with examples from the real world

Edited by xXx

incidentally i think the government should keep the tamil governers and leaders in the north and the east under their constant control and they should constantly monitor their activities...basically they should be kept under the president's thumb...imo if we let them have their own way it wont be long before we have a LTTE sequal on our hands.

HellRazor, lets hope while defining the boundaries of the 'president's thumb' we won't get ourselves into a bigger mess

Mani, your theory on resettlement has a very valid point. but as ripper has put it i too feel it is one of those things that sound very good theoretically but have way too many complications in time of execution

anyways for the real beginning of the story we have to go back to 2004. the presidential elections was going to spell a major change for the country as well as the ltte. VP had only 2 options. lose the battle to a unp government or lose the battle to an slfp government (or whatever its called this week). after the election he made a statement that he's never met anyone as cunning as RW, not sure if he mentioned this but what he actually meant was sooner or later he would have defeated him through some political solution or something. that said MR wasn't exactly his saviour either. during the 70s and 80s when communism was the "in" thing. MR and VP were active members of this movement. except they were representing different races. i'm quite sure those 2 have even met one another on the early days of the jvp. the difference was MR went on to do proper politics whereas VP realised he's sitting on a gold mine and decided to switch the communist movement to a liberation movement. MR probably had a good understanding on VP's strategies. and VP was quite aware of this. but since he knew he was facing certain doom under RW's reign he decided to try his luck with MR. which meant some serious a*se licking and praying that the old friend would go easy on him. the election was a good example. VP knew the whole North NE and Eastern province would vote for RW. so he prevented anyone from voting as to help MR win the election and win over his goodwill. MR certainly was a happy man but lucky for us he got the right message. someone must have told him that there will be a whole lot more money flooding in if the war was finished than what we got at that time. so that was that. i don't know if everyone will agree with me but that just my 2 cents.

JB very nice interpretation mate. i fail to understand why others don't see it this way.

just to touch base on your last couple of sentences, on top of the economic gains in a post war nation i think him main strategy is very similar to that of George W. Bush during his second term and that of SWRD Banda or even CBK's first term. he catered to the mass. just like SWRD played the nationalist card and GWB played the terrorism card MR played the Patriotic card... very well. IMO it was a very high risk strategy, to have all your eggs on one basket. for betterment of us it payed off and the rewards are/will be as high as the risk he took.

i was disgusted with the green party after how they tried to undermine the gains made by SLDF in the east... especially the battle for toppigala where so many forces sacrificed their lives for...

this is where UNP got it all wrong (so did I) they should have played along with the government on the war front and pound on them on them on corruption, HR violations and poor economic management fronts. but then again i can understand their mentality. this government creamed the progress of the war to cover up every dirty deed they did under the sun. my view is UNP needs to stop opposing to every motion the ruling party come up with just because they are the opposition.

GFX what's your point mate??? didn't the LTTE acquire weapons during MRs time? does that mean MR too was a traitor? as i've said before LTTE did what any other rational human been would do, have a plan B. didn't the then government seek Karuna's help during CFA? didn't the military get foreign training during that time? does that mean the then government wasn't committed towards a peaceful resolution or the CFA?????

HellRazor, lets hope while defining the boundaries of the 'president's thumb' we won't get ourselves into a bigger mess

true!...

i wish their was anyother way mate...you know i'm a very moderate guy...but right now our path has been decided(actually it was decided three years ago).....

i wish there was a more democratic means for governing the NE but as things have panned out, strict monitoring is needed over there... because as we all know those "cats" once played for the other team.

true!...

i wish their was anyother way mate...you know i'm a very moderate guy...but right now our path has been decided(actually it was decided three years ago).....

i wish there was a more democratic means for governing the NE but as things have panned out, strict monitoring is needed over there... because as we all know those "cats" once played for the other team.

ha ha ha very true. sleep with dogs wake up with fleas story springs to my mind

GFX what's your point mate??? didn't the LTTE acquire weapons during MRs time? does that mean MR too was a traitor? as i've said before LTTE did what any other rational human been would do, have a plan B. didn't the then government seek Karuna's help during CFA? didn't the military get foreign training during that time? does that mean the then government wasn't committed towards a peaceful resolution or the CFA?????

LTTE got wepons all the time but we have to look at the final results, Mhinda Finish it all, yes Karuna's help was very valuable, The main reason mahinda went peace talks with the LTTE cus that time the government was not strong enoug, that time people were happy with the CFA cus less bombs in CMB and who expected LTTE to bring Planes and subs, After some MP's from UNP came to UPFA Mahinda had a very strong government then MR went for war

Ok Past is Past, it all over now, but now GOSL need to make sure they finish this for real, they need to make sure IDP's live a gud life till they move to their own towns and villages, they get food, medicine, clothing, education, and cover all of ther needs, or Else even mahinda cant stop these people build another terrorist orgernisation,

Finally the Political solution

Edited by GihanFX

Dammit, this is the fuel price thread! OT!

sorry mate. as i mentioned other thread was locked up so decided to post in this one before i loose my trail of thought :) would you mind moving these posts to the appropriate thread please