• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Advice- Low Fuel Warning Lamp

sira

Hi all

Just an advice, if you see the low fuel warning lamp is “on” ,fill the tank as soon as possible. How ever there will be 5-8 litters will be remain in the tank and you can drive around 30-50 KM (depend on the fuel consumption) the most impotent thing is the Sensor in side the tank. There is a variable resistor with a floater will tell you the fuel level and the low fuel sensor is a Themister (electronic component) tells you, if the tank empty.

This how its works

If the Themister is in side the patrol (bath) the resistance is very high and warning bulb is off. But if its not is the petrol (bath) the Themister will be heated up the repentance will be low and the warning bulb will “on”. But if you drive with that condition the sensor (Themister) gets over heated. This is not good for sensor. it could burn, if you do this continually.

It happens to me. I normally drive 20KM with warning light on condition coz patrol price is very high and some difficult conditions :unsure: .

Thanks

sira

• 2 weeks later...
Just an advice, if you see the low fuel warning lamp is “on” ,fill the tank as soon as possible.

Sira > Good Advice!

I drew nearly 50 to 55 KM couple of times with low fuel light 'on' and people started telling me the same story and asked me to fill up ASAP.

One of my friend's point was the "Themister" and for B15, its gona be little expencive to replace. (thats what i heard from him)

Just an advice, if you see the low fuel warning lamp is “on” ,fill the tank as soon as possible.

Sira > Good Advice!

I drew nearly 50 to 55 KM couple of times with low fuel light 'on' and people started telling me the same story and asked me to fill up ASAP.

One of my friend's point was the "Themister" and for B15, its gona be little expencive to replace. (thats what i heard from him)

i always keep it above 1/2 tank as much as possible even though i drive a diesel. If you guys remember a thread we had about a month or 2 ago it was (correctly) pointed out that having a lot of air in your petrol tank makes the petrol evaporate faster... So you actually save more than just a sensor by not driving on a near-empty tank.

Machan Sira, no offense but your 'running on a low tank cos petrol is expensive theory' doesnt make sense, cos when you got to refill you got to refill.. so you dont exactly save anything by waiting till the last moment...in fact you might save a few hundred bucks if there's a sudden overnight price hike and you already had a full tank :)

Edited by Dilesh

i always keep it above 1/2 tank as much as possible even though i drive a diesel. If you guys remember a thread we had about a month or 2 ago it was (correctly) pointed out that having a lot of air in your petrol tank makes the petrol evaporate faster... So you actually save more than just a sensor by not driving on a near-empty tank.

Machan Sira, no offense but your 'running on a low tank cos petrol is expensive theory' doesnt make sense, cos when you got to refill you got to refill.. so you dont exactly save anything by waiting till the last moment...in fact you might save a few hundred bucks if there's a sudden overnight price hike and you already had a full tank :)

well said dilesh, let me add another point that is the electric high pressure fuel pump resides in the tank of most EFI vehicles. its designed to get cooled by liquid petrol and it ideally should well "burried" in the petrol. if you have something less than 1/4 tank there's no sufficient liquid (petrol) in the tank for that to emit the heat inside it. so the chances are high that the pump will get seized..